Cardiff v Leinster Fri 7.35 Eir/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Cardiff v Leinster Fri 7.35 Eir/TG4

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Back to rugby. No doubt Joe T was given his own special segment in Monday morning's review. The first five minutes of the second half contain a 'cameo' he won't want to repeat: stripped of possession x 2; missed ruck clearout x 2; fell off a tackle of the wrong man and as a consequence left RO'L covering two men which resulted in a try for them. A fair litany of f*!k-ups from an international player.

Here's hoping he gets to the intensity of Pro14 rugby in a Leinster jersey before Leo has Robbie H and Ringer available. Otherwise he might become very familiar with Welsh club sides on the A team
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Good morning echo chamber.

Tomane is a nice guy who deserved a kick up the hole for being Mr Chatty-man after he had given a particularly poor account of himself as a seasoned international and marquee signing who is supposed to be a big component in replacing Isa.

I told him what I thought of his signing and I told him what I thought of his attitude on Twitter , “face-to-face” so to speak, on what is a two-way platform. It’s called feedback.

People with me, who have represented Leinster and Ireland, one of them in his position, had the same reaction. I respect their take on his that night.

If one of the mega-posters on here called him out for something Isa would have kicked his arse for then this it would be a different issue.

Cue the blizzard
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

backrower8 wrote:Good morning echo chamber.

Tomane is a nice guy who deserved a kick up the hole for being Mr Chatty-man after he had given a particularly poor account of himself as a seasoned international and marquee signing who is supposed to be a big component in replacing Isa.

I told him what I thought of his signing and I told him what I thought of his attitude on Twitter , “face-to-face” so to speak, on what is a two-way platform. It’s called feedback.

People with me, who have represented Leinster and Ireland, one of them in his position, had the same reaction. I respect their take on his that night.

If one of the mega-posters on here called him out for something Isa would have kicked his arse for then this it would be a different issue.

Cue the blizzard
Pot meeting kettle :lol:

You've made the same point constantly. Actually, a point tends to have merit. You've used the same words constantly is a bit more apt.

But I'd prefer to put this all behind us now as the point is done.

I'd offer to shake your hand but you and your mates might think I am setting a bad example :roll:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Cue the blizzard
Pot meeting kettle :lol:

You've made the same point constantly. Actually, a point tends to have merit. You've used the same words constantly is a bit more apt.

But I'd prefer to put this all behind us now as the point is done.

I'd offer to shake your hand but you and your mates might think I am setting a bad example :roll:
:lol:
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Do we know the extent of Barry Dalys knee injury?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Cue the blizzard
So should he have sulked after the performance? Cried? What would have been acceptable to you and your important friends?

A person is capable of being fully aware and self critical while being a decent person to others at the same time. The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. Your point is nonsense.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Anyone remember Felipe smiling and shaking hands with his ex-teammates, and appreciating the crowd, after an Ireland -v- Argentina game in which Argentina lost fairly badly? What a disgrace. :lol:
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Laighin Break wrote:Anyone remember Felipe smiling and shaking hands with his ex-teammates, and appreciating the crowd, after an Ireland -v- Argentina game in which Argentina lost fairly badly? What a disgrace. :lol:
Or the time he and Stan Wright did a lap in the RDS after being beaten in the Amlin final in 2013.

Someone aught to have given them the big boy, twitter profile-to-twitter profile bevvy swilling goys consensus whinge-down. Set them straight good and proper.

What's more, Isa Nacewa played for Leinster didn't you know?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

molloyjh wrote:

Cue the blizzard
So should he have sulked after the performance? Cried? What would have been acceptable to you and your important friends?

A person is capable of being fully aware and self critical while being a decent person to others at the same time. The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. Your point is nonsense.
This all comes back to the old saying that soccer was created for gentlemen and played by barbarians, rugby created for barbarians and played by gentlemen (Should say gentlepeople now). I love rugby not only for the hits and skills but also because it is a respected sport. Maybe he shouldn't have shaked Williams hand until after but I will never call out one of our players for being respectable on the pitch.

The game is bigger than the current professional era and should be cherished, you only need to look at the NFL to see what losing values does.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Do we know the extent of Barry Dalys knee injury?
On the Leinster site yesterdays injury update said it is not as bad as 1st feared, but he does need a small procedure.

He'll be out for weeks, not months I'd imagine. I hope he's back scoring trys soon, he needs a bit of luck.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

All I can say is... :o :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
drive for 5
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ChrisUppy wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:Anyone remember Felipe smiling and shaking hands with his ex-teammates, and appreciating the crowd, after an Ireland -v- Argentina game in which Argentina lost fairly badly? What a disgrace. :lol:
Or the time he and Stan Wright did a lap in the RDS after being beaten in the Amlin final in 2013.

Someone aught to have given them the big boy, twitter profile-to-twitter profile bevvy swilling goys consensus whinge-down. Set them straight good and proper.

What's more, Isa Nacewa played for Leinster didn't you know?
You're both missing BR8's point.
JT hasn't earned the right, playing for Leinster, yet.
On the game itself and JT in particular.
It's way too early to criticize his rugby performance this early in the season.
He had a decent first half and looked to move the ball when he could which fits in well with the Leinster ethos.
His firstrl ten minutes in the SH were a bit underwhelming and perhaps the only question to be asked is "was he paying attention during the HT talk".
Maybe BR8 has a point as he might have been thinking about post match celebrations(joking of course).
His on field hand shake with Nick Williams seemed fine particularly as Williams responded in kind.
Didn't see any post match engagement so can't comment.
Some punters suggest that Cardiff were unlucky to lose.
Leinster were the better team over the 80minutes and deserved their win.
Cardiff's purple patch after HT was what made the game close.
C'mon Leinster.
C'mon Joe T..
PS when a blizzard meets a heatwave, you'll get a meltdown.
Keep cool lads it's only a game after all.
Last edited by Oldschool on September 5th, 2018, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

I was happy with the win, Cardiff were excellent. Defensive errors by us, yes but lets give some credit to a fine display by Cardiff.

I judge Joe T after 5 games, that's fair I think.

Those 5 points were hard earned, very valuable and Leinster showed real character to dig out that win. I thought Ross Byrne was critical to the success and well deserving of the MOTM
drive for 5
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BlueBlue wrote:I was happy with the win, Cardiff were excellent. Defensive errors by us, yes but lets give some credit to a fine display by Cardiff.

Those 5 points were hard earned, very valuable and Leinster showed real character to dig out that win. I thought Ross Byrne was critical to the success and well deserving of the MOTM
+1 particularly on JT and even at that the criticism could be similar to Isa's early days when it became obvious he wasn't an OH.
Some punters, myself included(IIRC) had the termerity to make the point and were roundly criticised.
Well we all know who won that argument.
The strange thing about ISA is that it was probably the only position he couldn't play which is why we are missing and will continue to miss him this season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

BlueBlue wrote:I was happy with the win, Cardiff were excellent. Defensive errors by us, yes but lets give some credit to a fine display by Cardiff.

IIRC Joe Schmidt lost 3 of his first 5 away matches including a double point loss to Treviso, its a good job he wasnt judged on one performance.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

IIRC Joe Schmidt lost 3 of his first 5 away matches including a double point loss to Treviso, its a good job he wasnt judged on one performance.
I clearly remember him losing the dressingroom at that time.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

I clearly remember him losing the dressingroom at that time.
Hopefully Tomanjay loses the dressing room soon/stops being so darn friendly.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Lost his first three away matches against Glasgow (22-19), Treviso (29-13) and Edinburgh (32-24). Schmidt's only win in his first four games was an unconvincing win at home to Cardiff. Seem to recall we got hammered twice in pre-season too. Turned it around starting at home to Munster in the Aviva and only lost once more (away to Clermont) before the start of the 6N.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Some mistakes but a huge overreaction alright.

Inside centre has been a real problem for us when the big guns were out since Darce retired essentially. MOC (obviously) couldn't decide what type of a system (or player) he wanted.
Since then, we've struggled to find someone who fully fits the bill.
Isa was shoehorned in there last season, and was superb, because (a) he's Isa and (b) he knows our club and systems inside out (and invented half of them). But, without Isa or Henshaw, it was a bit of a mess.

All things being equal, it's a tough position: linchpin in both attack and defence, which means knowing both systems inside out.
But it's even more tough given the context for us.
Add to that that the guy just joined, and had never played outside Byrne before...

It's fair enough to point out his mistakes, but to read anything more into it in his first outing is pretty batshit, even by my low, glasshouse standards.

There's a reasonable chance he won't work out: not everyone does (even if they are good players). But we won't really know until November.
I don't have any problem with shaking hands. Tomane may need to learn that Williams is a dirty tosser, who has a history of cheap shots on our players though.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

curates_egg wrote:Some mistakes but a huge overreaction alright.

Inside centre has been a real problem for us when the big guns were out since Darce retired essentially. MOC (obviously) couldn't decide what type of a system (or player) he wanted.
Since then, we've struggled to find someone who fully fits the bill.
Isa was shoehorned in there last season, and was superb, because (a) he's Isa and (b) he knows our club and systems inside out (and invented half of them). But, without Isa or Henshaw, it was a bit of a mess.

All things being equal, it's a tough position: linchpin in both attack and defence, which means knowing both systems inside out.
But it's even more tough given the context for us.
Add to that that the guy just joined, and had never played outside Byrne before...

It's fair enough to point out his mistakes, but to read anything more into it in his first outing is pretty batshit, even by my low, glasshouse standards.

There's a reasonable chance he won't work out: not everyone does (even if they are good players). But we won't really know until November.
I don't have any problem with shaking hands. Tomane may need to learn that Williams is a dirty tosser, who has a history of cheap shots on our players though.
Don't think this is true at all. Once MOC had shaped the squad to his liking he was fairly consistent in picking an outhalf-style playmaking 12 (Madigan, Reid, Crosbie) and a physical strike-runner 13 (Te'o, Fitzgerald, Macken)