Scarlets v Leinster Sat 8 Sep 19:35 (Eir/TG4)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Re: Scarlets v Leinster Sat 8 Sep 19:35 (Eir/TG4)

Post by carlow man »

Sexton against new Zealand in the Aviva? You can't tell me he hasn't misses those sort of kicks in the past. Byrne should have done better so I hope he improves moving forward.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really interesting post match interview from Leo.
Gives absolutely nothing, but reading between the lines he's going to annihilate the ref in his report back.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

carlow man wrote:Sexton against new Zealand in the Aviva? You can't tell me he hasn't misses those sort of kicks in the past. Byrne should have done better so I hope he improves moving forward.
Oldschool: Sexton has had a few mares in the past where isa or ferg have taken over the kicking duties by the way.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

carlow man wrote:Sexton against new Zealand in the Aviva? You can't tell me he hasn't misses those sort of kicks in the past. Byrne should have done better so I hope he improves moving forward.

:lol: Haha ffs I knew you'd point to that as an example
If you can't see the difference between that kick against the World Champions at the end of a test game and what Ross Byrne missed tonight then there's not much point in continuing this discussion.

Hopefully Ross improves. But with a better kicker we would've won this evening.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:Really interesting post match interview from Leo.
Gives absolutely nothing, but reading between the lines he's going to annihilate the ref in his report back.
I'd love to see the ref explain why he thought there was still a ruck in the first half after Healy obliterated it and Dev stole the ball.

Think Healy took the entire Scarlets pack with him when he did it the second time, what a player/guy.

I didn't really understand why we moved the ball at the end and looking at it again they really had way more numbers than we did. There was space alright but we should never have risked that after our close in carrying was doing so well and we may have had to go for a drop goal.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Really interesting post match interview from Leo.
I'd love to see the ref explain why he thought there was still a ruck in the first half after Healy obliterated it and Dev stole the ball.

Think Healy took the entire Scarlets pack with him when he did it the second time, what a player/guy.

I didn't really understand why we moved the ball at the end and looking at it again they really had way more numbers than we did. There was space alright but we should never have risked that after our close in carrying was doing so well and we may have had to go for a drop goal.
Aye that was another one. Strange decision.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

wixfjord wrote:

If you can't see the difference between that kick against the World Champions at the end of a test game and what Ross Byrne missed tonight then there's not much point in continuing this discussion.

Or if Carter played for Ireland that day then Ireland would have won. It's all the same. Funny how some posters on here won't allow anyone to have an opinion without getting all tetchy. I would love our lads to land all their kicks but the seem to miss mire than our neighbours. Halfpenny and farrell kick those in their sleep.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

carlow man wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Or if Carter played for Ireland that day then Ireland would have won. It's all the same. Funny how some posters on here won't allow anyone to have an opinion without getting all tetchy. I would love our lads to land all their kicks but the seem to miss mire than our neighbours. Halfpenny and farrell kick those in their sleep.
It's not the same. But whatever you think.

On your other point, funny that, because Sexton's kicking stats are better than 1/2P and Farrell.
Maybe they shouldn't try to kick in their sleep!

In summary - Byrne's kicking was poor, and has been consistently hit and miss. He needs to tighten up this part of his game because it could cost us badly later in the year. Other than that he was fairly good.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

And please don’t forget how Nahle coughed up the ball to create Scarlets last try
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

don't move
dont move.
penalty for not moving.
WTF
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Some rustiness run off, could have nabbed a win but took a loosing bonus and kept them to 4 points on a night with shite weather and 11 changes from last weeks team. We sorely need a 7 or even a 6.5 shame there's a good one in Belfast but it'll be alright in time. All in all decent result given the bizarre reffing. Hope Davies gets cited for the cheap knee shot, utter pr!*k.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Jesus Scarlets fans are the whingiest bunch of uneducated people I've ever had to listen to.

Just because the other team did it doesn't mean a) it was forward b) the tackle was high c) the aerial contest was illegal.

Muppets.

Anyhow. Byrne really should have been in the pocket for the last minute. The drop was on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

My two cents for what’s it’s worth post game with a few pints on board

Pack did well I felt but never really had them bullied for the full 80
Maul was very good as was line out
Scrum a bit iffy but solid enough bar the penalty in our 22
Church and Rhys the pick for me
Cronin tackled and threw well but I didn’t see him offer much in attack, same as Furkong really
Nagle not at the races and Josh Murphy for me is off that standard, brain dead yellow and didn’t offer anything

Backs much more muted imo, offered very little in phase attack and coughed up the ball
Ross Bryne needs to get his kicking sorted, will cost us in tight games
Robbie H was quiet but so were others really

On another note Garreth Davies knee lunge was a disgrace and I hope he’s cited
Overall a LBP isn’t a disaster and move on to a big game in the RDS next week with full compliment
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Isn't Ross B supposed to be playing through a niggle/injury, because we don't have a fit replacement available? Give the guy a break.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

odyboody wrote:don't move
dont move.
penalty for not moving.
WTF
yes I remember that but he did seem to say something to explain his decision afterwards that I didn't catch.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

TerenureJim wrote:Some rustiness run off, could have nabbed a win but took a loosing bonus and kept them to 4 points on a night with shite weather and 11 changes from last weeks team. We sorely need a 7 or even a 6.5 shame there's a good one in Belfast but it'll be alright in time. All in all decent result given the bizarre reffing. Hope Davies gets cited for the cheap knee shot, utter pr!*k.
With either leavy or josh on the pitch last night would have slowed ball and negated davies threat at the breakdown. Thought we should have gone for the drop goal rather than going wide and looking for a try.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It seems to be a deliberate act from the scarlets players when players slide in leading with their knees to stop players in the act of scoring a try. Plus they like to throw their weight around and get the crowd going. Which doesn't take much as they aren't the classiest bunch to play in front of.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

carlow man wrote:
Oldschool: Sexton has had a few mares in the past where isa or ferg have taken over the kicking duties by the way.
Eh I didn't mention Sexton and I'm not interested in getting into a debate about Sexton v Byrne.
The debate should be about their respective stats compared to what is regarded as reliable kicker standard.
Byrne's kicking shouldn't be mentioned in relation to another player's.
What are his own stats and do they measure up in relation to what is regarded as a reliable kicker standard
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Anybody see why Dooley went off? Healy came back on for him about five minutes from the end of the match.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote:What are his own stats and do they measure up in relation to what is regarded as a reliable kicker standard
Byrne's stats:
16/17 Pro14 - 74%
17/18 Pro14 - 71%
17/18 Champions Cup - 62%

Between this week and last he has missed a few sitters and nailed a few tough conversions. So he has the talent but not the consistency.
Last edited by wixfjord on September 9th, 2018, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.