A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Celtic Cup

Post by Flash Gordon »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
13 primarily but has experience on the wing.
Is this the same Liam Turner that captained Rock last season?

Very impressive to be playing A rugby for Leinster if so. I don't think many step up that early
Yep, same lad.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Didn't Hawkshaw play act last season also? And Baird and Penny?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: A pretty good team though considering we have another game and there'll be loads of Irish players unavailable. Glad to see Sylvester on the wing, think he's much better there than at fullback. I'd like to see Kelly stick to one position, not sure left wing should be it though. Pity it's not at home, interesting side.
I'd like to see Kelly playing fullback. Just fullback. Not on the wing and not in the centre.

I'm not taken with the idea of Hugo Keenan at fullback. I'm a bit conservative/old-fashioned when it comes to the position – obviously it's part of the back three, but it's a significantly different position to playing on the wing. It's wing three-quarter and full back. There's a difference. Sometimes I think coaches look at it with too biased a view towards open field running and treat it like 'middle winger' [to coin an oxymoron].

We've been particularly well-served at Leinster over the past twenty years by two dedicated full-backs, Rob Kearney and Girvan Dempsey, who between them made/have made almost 400 appearances for the province. Obviously both played on the wing early in their careers, but they were recognised as fullbacks playing at wing. Maybe those players [esp. Girv] formed my opinion of what an Irish fullback should be doing, but I just don't see it with Keenan. We've picked two fullbacks in the team for tomorrow night's game and we're playing a winger at fullback. It's all a bit bonkers to me.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: A pretty good team though considering we have another game and there'll be loads of Irish players unavailable. Glad to see Sylvester on the wing, think he's much better there than at fullback. I'd like to see Kelly stick to one position, not sure left wing should be it though. Pity it's not at home, interesting side.
I'd like to see Kelly playing fullback. Just fullback. Not on the wing and not in the centre.

I'm not taken with the idea of Hugo Keenan at fullback. I'm a bit conservative/old-fashioned when it comes to the position – obviously it's part of the back three, but it's a significantly different position to playing on the wing. It's wing three-quarter and full back. There's a difference. Sometimes I think coaches look at it with too biased a view towards open field running and treat it like 'middle winger' [to coin an oxymoron].

We've been particularly well-served at Leinster over the past twenty years by two dedicated full-backs, Rob Kearney and Girvan Dempsey, who between them made/have made almost 400 appearances for the province. Obviously both played on the wing early in their careers, but they were recognised as fullbacks playing at wing. Maybe those players [esp. Girv] formed my opinion of what an Irish fullback should be doing, but I just don't see it with Keenan. We've picked two fullbacks in the team for tomorrow night's game and we're playing a winger at fullback. It's all a bit bonkers to me.
Well obviously someone playing fullback has to have the nuts and bolts down to a certain level - good in the air, good positionally, knows when to join the line in attack and when to come up and join the defensive line. Is there any reason Keenan can't be good at these things, or get good at them soon enough? I think he's played some fullback in the AIL.

I think his distribution and vision would allow a better overall attacking game to be played than with someone who wasn't as good in these areas. Luke Fitzgerald said he preferred playing with Nacewa at fullback rather than Kearney because Nacewa was better at passing to his wingers
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:Luke Fitzgerald said he preferred playing with Nacewa at fullback rather than Kearney because Nacewa was better at passing to his wingers
And yet most coaches and punters would prefer Kearney at FB. It's all about what is best for the team.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

johng wrote:Didn't Hawkshaw play act last season also? And Baird and Penny?
Did they? Jaysus I thought they were a year or so out. Fair play
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Penny and Baird joined full academy straight from school this summer, both played for St. Michaels last season.

Hawkshaw and Turner are both straight out of school, Belvo & Rock, and are in the sub academy.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 7th, 2018, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster
1. Ed Byrne(Clongowes/UCD)(24)
2. Ronan Kelleher(St. Michaels/Lansdowne)(20)
3. Vakh Abdaladze(Coolmine/Clontarf)(22)
4. Ross Molony(St. Michaels/UCD)(24)
5. Jack Dunne(St. Michaels/DUFC)(19)
6. Oisin Dowling(St. Michaels/Lansdowne)(21)
7. Scott Penny(St. Michaels/UCD)(U20)
8. Caelan Doris(Blackrock/St. Marys)(20)
9. Paddy Patterson(Blackrock/UCD)(U21)
10. Harry Byrne(St. Michaels/UCD)(19)
11. Jack Kelly(St. Michaels/DUFC)(21)
12. Tom Daly(Carlow/Lansdowne)(25)
13. Conor O'Brien(Mullingar/Clontarf)(22)
14. Michael Silvester(Clongowes/DUFC)(20)
15. Hugo Keenan(Blackrock/UCD)(22)
16. Dan Sheehan(Clongowes/DUFC)(U21)
17. Guiseppe Coyne(Blackrock/DUFC)(U20)
18. Jack Aungier(Suttonians/St. Marys)(19)
19. Ronan Foley(St. Marys/UCD)(20)
20. Ronan Watters(St. Marys/St. Marys)(U20)
21. Hugh O'Sullivan(Belvedere/Clontarf)(20)
22. David Hawkshaw(Belvedere/Clontarf)(U20)
23. Liam Turner(Blackrock/DUFC)(U20)

Club: 4
St. Marys: 2
Belvedere: 2
Clongowes: 3
Blackrock: 5
St. Michaels: 7
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 7th, 2018, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Penny and Baird joined full academy straight from school this summer, both played for St. Michaels last season.

Hawkshaw and Turner are both straight out of school also and are in the sub academy.
Clearly I just pay closer attention to the 'rock lads :lol:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Moloney playing probably means Toner starts against Scarlets. Cullen has a thing about one of the two of them always playing and doing the line out calls.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster A 21 Ulster A 7 latest.

Tries from Harry Byrne, Scott Penny and Conor O'Brien
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

28-7 at HT. Ronan Kelleher with the fourth try
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

33-21 after 60 mins. Michael Silvester with Leinster's sole second-half score so far.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

36-28 after 68 mins
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

43-28 after 76 mins. Dan Sheehan with a try
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Match report

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/report_nos ... nster-a-43

Tom Daly went off at half-time. Can only assume he picked up a knock of some sort.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jack Kelly scored a try. presumably they mixed him and Silvestre up.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

mildlyinterested wrote:Jack Kelly scored a try. presumably they mixed him and Silvestre up.
yep, leinster's twitter account at the time said Silvester but match report says it was Kelly
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ryan Baird was one of the 24th men who was with the squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen