Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

Post by wixfjord »

Some side.

Strange that we're burning so many Schminutes for guys like Larmour, Henshaw, Ryan, Cronin etc against the Dragons.

If we don't take 5 here we may leave it so!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Assuming the attitude is right that's a ridiculously strong team for this game.

Great to see Josh back. Hopefully we'll dominate the ball and he can get his hands on it instead of just having his head down doing the dirty work. I think I'd have swapped Conan and Deegan. Maybe Deegan is getting a shot to stake a claim at 6 after Murphy's poor performance last week but given that Conan has been great there in the past that would have been a better fit for me. Happy to see Molony back in too.

I think I'd have started Tomane to try and get his confidence up a bit but excited about that midfield. Robbie didn't see much ball last week, hopefully it'll be different tomorrow.

Hope HOS gets a go and does well. He really strikes me as someone who'll need to be carefully managed over the next few seasons and this is a great opportunity for him.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Doesn’t really make sense to play such a strong team against Dragons at home
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dragons side that will face our redonculously strong selection

Dragons (v Leinster Rugby): Jordan Williams, Dafydd Howells, Adam Warren, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos, Josh Lewis, Rhodri Williams; Brok Harris, Elliot Dee, Lloyd Fairbrother, Matthew Screech, Cory Hill (c), Aaron Wainwright, Nic Cudd, Ross Moriarty

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Bevington, Leon Brown, Brandon Nansen, Ollie Griffiths, Tavis Knoyle, Arwel Robson, Jarryd Sage
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I forgot they had Moriarty, I wonder who'll be assigned to winding him up?

I don't see any issues with it being such a strong side. Only 3 games left before we play Munster, Wasps, and Toulouse on the bounce, and there are loads of players left out. As strong as it is you've still got Ed Byrne, Deegan, and DK starting, and the bench is very much second or third string apart from Furlong. Maybe the coaches would have preferred to select that side against someone stronger but the priority was to have everyone up and running by week three so what can you do? It's not like we'll have to suffer really weak teams until that Munster game. I'd imagine it'll be very mix and match until we play Connacht when a (very well prepared/flagged) second string side will head over. Plus we get to see a good side tomorrow, that all sounds good to me.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I forgot they had Moriarty, I wonder who'll be assigned to winding him up?

I don't see any issues with it being such a strong side. Only 3 games left before we play Munster, Wasps, and Toulouse on the bounce, and there are loads of players left out. As strong as it is you've still got Ed Byrne, Deegan, and DK starting, and the bench is very much second or third string apart from Furlong. Maybe the coaches would have preferred to select that side against someone stronger but the priority was to have everyone up and running by week three so what can you do? It's not like we'll have to suffer really weak teams until that Munster game. I'd imagine it'll be very mix and match until we play Connacht when a (very well prepared/flagged) second string side will head over. Plus we get to see a good side tomorrow, that all sounds good to me.
All true plus the Dragons fans are only coming over because we are putting out such a strong team :D
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

At least I know a few of the players in their matchday squad this season!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeinsterLeader wrote: All true plus the Dragons fans are only coming over because we are putting out such a strong team :D
If Dragons' fans are that desperate to see some of Leinster's best players then that could really be a huge boost to Munster's ticket sales.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

9 years and 2 days.

That's how long it's been since JS played Dragons. Leinster have played Dragons 19 times since, Jonny was with Racing for four of those. Bernard Jackman has played Dragons more in the last 10 years than Jonny Sexton.
Borrowed from Reddit, a nice little stat for the home crowd.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I think it's a development opportunity missed as regards the 12 jumper. Either throw Tomane in, or, if they don't trust him in defence, allow COB to add to his 166 minutes for the senior side. Surely they need to get cracking on a contingency plan for when Henshaw is unavailable?

It's a shame not to see O'Loughlin used on the left wing any more. That's where he was really good the season before last.

Don't think Deegan's really suited to blindside either. But maybe it's just a way of giving him gametime
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Deegan needs to develop game, can't just play 8.

Agree that Dragons at home should be a game where a young 12 is playing.

team like this is overkill for Dragons, would have kept powder dry for Edinburgh and Connacht away.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on September 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

harblstuff wrote:
9 years and 2 days.

That's how long it's been since JS played Dragons. Leinster have played Dragons 19 times since, Jonny was with Racing for four of those. Bernard Jackman has played Dragons more in the last 10 years than Jonny Sexton.
Looks like a nice stat but it's wrong. Sexton started against the Dragons on 27th March 2011.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

cormac wrote:
harblstuff wrote:
9 years and 2 days.

Looks like a nice stat but it's wrong. Sexton started against the Dragons on 27th March 2011.
Right you are.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/report/dra ... -leinster/

There he is, all dressed in white.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote: All true plus the Dragons fans are only coming over because we are putting out such a strong team :D
If Dragons' fans are that desperate to see some of Leinster's best players then that could really be a huge boost to Munster's ticket sales.
ouch! :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

A *lot* of pace in that pack!

If we can get quick ball JGP/Sexton should make hay too.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

If you'd offered Leinster six points from their opening two games of the season, both of which were tricky road trips to Wales, they probably would have taken it. However having been highly fortunate to snag a win over Cardiff, they were a touch unlucky not to win last week against the Scarlets. They looked in firm control at half-time but they got a little sloppy after that and let the Scarlets back into it. Even then they had a chance to snatch it at the end with a penalty or a drop goal but they made a less than wise choice to run the ball into the wide channels where it was turned over and lost. As expected the Scarlets were delighted with themselves for getting the win and the rivalry between the two sides is getting nice and spicy.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Paddy Power have Leinster 36 points favourites for this one.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

That's some team .... pity we didn't have a few of them last week, mighn't have left points behind us!!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Strange team for me.....we would have put the Dragons to the sword with the Clongowes u-15's.....

Surely the ideal game to be giving Tomane game time along with many others....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blueberry wrote:Strange team for me.....we would have put the Dragons to the sword with the Clongowes u-15's.....

Surely the ideal game to be giving Tomane game time along with many others....
At home though.