Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

Post by desperado »

mildlyinterested wrote:no need for dragons at home
I would think maybe management think we need more runouts for starting players and combo's before this years defence of the Heino kicks off.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wouldn't be surprised if last week's performance made them feel that Robbie really needed the game today too. Outside of 12 it all makes perfect sense, and even then you've got our first choice midfield getting a run together.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Can't wait for the game later. It's been a long off season
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Bolox. This is a 1.15am start for me. Really wanted to watch it live. Rugbypass is good for the replays but a live game beats them all.

Will be home for 7 weeks just after Christmas. Can't wait to see this team in action.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Porter is looking lean. S and C guys must have gotten their claws into him over the summer.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Four lost lineouts in first half. That's pathetic stuff.

Pretty rusty all round.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So Reid finally follows Hugonaut's advice and practised his place-kicking and what a kick!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blew a few cobwebs off and no injuries = great result.

JGP was deserved MOTM, when his forwards are on top and he's playing with Sexton he looks great.
O'Sullivan had a nice cameo too in fairness.

Conan was top notch. Maybe it was the socks down, but he looks like he has lost weight too.

RK was poor, and Henshaw still looks a bit rusty. But they'll get better with games.

Lineout is a bit of a worry.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I noticed some nice intricate first play moves in the first half - the first signs of contepomis influence maybe? He was quoted saying it was something he was targeting I believe. Hopefully it's an other string to our bow this year
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

QVC sold a few dummies tonight.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Lineouts were a big problem in the 1st half.
Apart from that, we did all we could against a poor opposition. JCB did AOK.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

Post by artaneboy »

Good result. A lot of good to very good performances- and no real bad ones.

Jamie a deserved MOTM. Yes he does look well with a dominant pack and servicing Sexton, but the man still has to do it- and he did excellently. God knows, he’s done his share of playing with a weaker pack and ‘junior’ OHs. He deserved a chance to start and shine in a strong side.

The line out was a bit of a strange one. It wasn’t really down to bad throwing or lifting. It rather looked like Dragons were reading our calls; the throwing seemed to be going well and the jumper was up- but Newport just got a man up in that target space frequently. Good homework by Birch and the video analysts- possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Took awhile to dismantle them dragons boys
Far better side than they sent over last year
Small bit of complacency in first half with silly offloads, poor line out and bad decision making but if some Padres clicked we could have had BP by HT so it was either or really

Line out was a funny one, poor calling it looked like as theirs seemed to be on the money
Pack to a man put in a shift around the pitch with Conan, Cronin, Ed Bryne and James Ryan the pick for me
Some beautiful angled running and offloading

Contrary to what people on here are saying I thought Robbie H was very good, some great carries
Johnny looked decent for first hit out and Ringrose too
Rob K looked a bit off and carried across the pitch too many times along with being flat in attack

Bench were good and decent hit out for all
Next week will be a big test where our set piece needs to be nailed on
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That was some try BTW from the aptly named Jordan Williams.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

blockhead wrote:That was some try BTW from the aptly named Jordan Williams.
Yes it was sweet - in fairness to the lad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
Contrary to what people on here are saying I thought Robbie H was very good, some great carries
I think he did his usual heavy carrying alright, and was definitely better than last week, but got caught a few times in defence coming out of the line (as did Ringer) and butchered a try too.

He's an absolutely vital part of our attack though. The carry he does against the grain from a lineout is just impossible to stop.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting to note how much we're offloading this year. Seems to be one area of the attack that has changed from last year.

The Cronin try move was a beauty as well. Nice line from Ed Byrne to hold a man and a pop back inside for JGP.

Might not work against better sides, but it shows a bit of ingenuity.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought we were really good apart from the missed lineouts. It was frustrating not to be further ahead early on but when you factor in the two forward passes (which I thought were fine) and Johnny kicking crossfield because he thought we had a penalty (and it really should have been) then we were probably unlucky. Considering how easy we were making yards I thought we kept our patience quite well when we weren't getting points.

Porter is an animal at the breakdown, just swats people away with ease most of the time but if anyone tries to kill the ball then he kills them. Thought Josh did really well, his all round game looked good and his engine seemed as strong as ever. I know we had lots of possession anyway but I think he freed Conan up a bit and he looked good in the loose.

JGP was much snappier than last week, played really well. I know it was brief and the game was done and dusted but HOS looked good as well. My big concern for the 20's was that he seemed very hesitant but there no sign of that last night. Agree with Gearzbox about Henshaw, looked good to me. Again I know we had lots of possession and front foot ball but the difference that himself and Ringrose's straight running made to our attack was huge, meant our wingers got far more ball than the first two weeks. Larmour looks great at the moment and despite beating someone every time he gets the ball he's not overplaying it like some of the games last season. So much expectation on his shoulders, really impressive to see him playing the way he is. He reminds me of when you try and catch a dog to put a lead on it or something...you think you've cornered him but then he spins around the back of the couch.

Hadn't a clue what the keyring was about until I read the back :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote:Interesting to note how much we're offloading this year. Seems to be one area of the attack that has changed from last year.

The Cronin try move was a beauty as well. Nice line from Ed Byrne to hold a man and a pop back inside for JGP.

Might not work against better sides, but it shows a bit of ingenuity.
Actually looking again, Robbie had 28 posessions in total and 14 runs for 58 metres, 1 CB, 5DB and 2OL. So maybe I was being a bit harsh!

Larmour beat 11 defenders and Ringrose 8. Not a bad return from the backs!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: I think he did his usual heavy carrying alright, and was definitely better than last week, but got caught a few times in defence coming out of the line (as did Ringer) and butchered a try too.
Thought that too at the time but watching it again I'm not sure that he did. The defenders were cutting off passes quite well, maybe he could have done better but I wouldn't say that he totally cocked it up.