Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Dragons Sat 15 Sep 5.15pm (EirSports/TG4)

Post by OTT »

Experimental wrote: The Dragons in fairness cannot be questioned for effort or pride, Cudd was especially good, they are definitely playing better than last season and will have learned a lot. Very few club teams would have lived with us the way we played.
I heard Leo big the Dragons up for effort after the game. I thought he was being very generous, I thought they were absolute rubbish. If we had of scored another 25-30 points in the first 20 minutes I don't think it would have been unreasonable. We looked like we were playing a training match in that first half I thought and we stuck to trying things (which is well worth it in the long run) when we probably could have just run over the top of them. I think Leinster people want to be kind to them because of Jackman but personally I can't see this improvement in them, the try they got was a great individual try but I don't think there was much coaching in it.

On saying all that Leo is generally right and I am generally wrong so maybe they were a lot tougher then it looked.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dragons front 5 was excellent, they made sh!t of our lineout, defended the maul well and were pretty unmovable in the scrum. It was only with the changes to the front fives of both teams that we started to get any dominance in those areas. I thought Dooley put in a great shift when he came on and that Bryan Byrne must be knocking on the door of the first XV come Europe.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:Dragons front 5 was excellent, they made sh!t of our lineout, defended the maul well and were pretty unmovable in the scrum. It was only with the changes to the front fives of both teams that we started to get any dominance in those areas. I thought Dooley put in a great shift when he came on and that Bryan Byrne must be knocking on the door of the first XV come Europe.
Dooley has just gone 24 an has 50 senior caps. That's good going for a prop.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Dragons front 5 was excellent, they made sh!t of our lineout, defended the maul well and were pretty unmovable in the scrum. It was only with the changes to the front fives of both teams that we started to get any dominance in those areas. I thought Dooley put in a great shift when he came on and that Bryan Byrne must be knocking on the door of the first XV come Europe.
Thought we did ok in the scrum, I think Porter was pinged for a penalty once but generally ok. Our maul seemed to work well, the lineout was a an absolute disaster though - throwing looked ok and the jumpers went up but it almost seemed like they had out codes!!!! Their second string front row was pretty average, Richard Hibbard did a fantastic impression of a man who couldn't be arsed and was going through the motions.

Thought our backrow was outstanding with Conan really really good. What pleased me most was our offloading game, the skills aren't quite there but you can see what Dr Phil is trying to do and I think that will take us to the next level and bring something genuinely different to what we can do. That fast paced offloading game really suits JGP too I'd add who had an absolute cracker. That being said, I don't know what game plan Rob was working too, he ran into contact repeatedly with pass options around him. If we're aiming to keep the ball moving, what was he doing?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Agreed on Dooley and Bryan Byrne.

If McGrath was out for Europe I'd have no issues with Dooley stepping up, and I think as it stands Byrne should be our second choice hooker.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote:Agreed on Dooley and Bryan Byrne.

If McGrath was out for Europe I'd have no issues with Dooley stepping up, and I think as it stands Byrne should be our second choice hooker.
I'm of the same opinion re jerseys 1 & 2.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote:

I think Healy is still our #1 #1, I meant Dooley for the bench!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Speaking of offloading, how much of a weapon is James Ryan? Everyone around him should be alive to the possibility of him getting the ball away just like BFG (I'm sticking with this one because I can't be bothered to change it every time) was for Larmour's try. It's so hard to stop because you just expect him to truck it up but then he's so big that he can even get the ball away from two defenders and is always looking to add value in some way instead of just dying with the ball. Even if teams begin to figure him out and target him, fine, he'll just carry hard or tie up defenders and leave space elsewhere.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

I think Healy is still our #1 #1, I meant Dooley for the bench!
I think Dooley has been a bit unfortunate in that most of his games have been with Bent as the other prop. Really performed well with a stronger front row and got around the park.

Here’s one for everyone though, what were your thoughts of Noel Reid at outhalf? I know it was only the last 10 mins but I was happily surprised how he performed, his passing was good and he used space well. Also as they were running directly down his channel he tackled well also. Not a bad conversion at the end either
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Speaking of offloading, how much of a weapon is James Ryan? Everyone around him should be alive to the possibility of him getting the ball away just like BFG (I'm sticking with this one because I can't be bothered to change it every time) was for Larmour's try. It's so hard to stop because you just expect him to truck it up but then he's so big that he can even get the ball away from two defenders and is always looking to add value in some way instead of just dying with the ball. Even if teams begin to figure him out and target him, fine, he'll just carry hard or tie up defenders and leave space elsewhere.
IMO, James Ryan is the main reason Leinster have a fourth star and a Pro 14 title and Ireland are reigning Grand Slam champs and secured a tour victory down under for the first time since the days of Ollie Campbell. More history beckons this coming November 17th, Lansdowne Road, Kick off 19.00. It's not as if Ryan hasn't beaten NZ before......
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

riocard911 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Speaking of offloading, how much of a weapon is James Ryan? Everyone around him should be alive to the possibility of him getting the ball away just like BFG (I'm sticking with this one because I can't be bothered to change it every time) was for Larmour's try. It's so hard to stop because you just expect him to truck it up but then he's so big that he can even get the ball away from two defenders and is always looking to add value in some way instead of just dying with the ball. Even if teams begin to figure him out and target him, fine, he'll just carry hard or tie up defenders and leave space elsewhere.
IMO, James Ryan is the main reason Leinster have a fourth star and a Pro 14 title and Ireland are reigning Grand Slam champs and secured a tour victory down under for the first time since the days of Ollie Campbell. More history beckons this coming November 17th, Lansdowne Road, Kick off 19.00. It's not as if Ryan hasn't beaten NZ before......
I think you have to give a lot of credit to Leavy as well who put in a huge effort for 3 of those 4 triumphs
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
I think you have to give a lot of credit to Leavy as well who put in a huge effort for 3 of those 4 triumphs
My statement in no way detracts from the contribution of his team mates. Ryan is however a once in a generation player like BO'D. Similarly to Ireland's greatest ever 13, I would speculate, that Ireland's and Leinster's victory percentage is increased more when Ryan is starting than compared to any other individual player.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The lads is an incredible athlete. He carried more than both our wing forwards combined and lead the Leinster tackle count. We have been producing world class backrows for a while now but with Ryan, Fardy, Cronin and Church we have incredible ball carrying options and it sometimes feels like we're playing against 2 backrows. It must be an absolute nightmare to defend against!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

riocard911 wrote:
He's a fantastic player but that is just hyperbole nonscience . Individually Fardy had a bigger impact but combine Fardy with Leavy, Sexton, Furlong, a rejuvenated Healy, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx AND J.RYAN and get Lancester to coach them.......that is the main reason we have a 4th star.
riocard911 wrote: My statement in no way detracts from the contribution of his team mates. Ryan is however a once in a generation player like BO'D. Similarly to Ireland's greatest ever 13, I would speculate, that Ireland's and Leinster's victory percentage is increased more when Ryan is starting than compared to any other individual player.

But that's exactly what it does.

He may well surpass BOD, POC, Jackie Kyle, Willie John McBride and all the rest, but give the poor fella a bit of time.
Last edited by TrapperChamonix on September 18th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TrapperChamonix wrote: the absence of Kirchner
A strange and needless pop. WTF has Zane got to do with anything?
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote:
This. :happy clapper:
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

wixfjord wrote:
fair enough, I withdraw the ZK comment
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference