Leinster v Embra RDS Sat 7.35 Eir/Premier

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Embra RDS Sat 7.35 Eir/Premier

Post by wixfjord »

Mick K made 14 tackles and missed 0 along with 6 carries. Did some great work in the ruck and at lineout too in fairness to him.

Deserves a start in his old stomping ground next week.

Deegan had a good game also. His carrying in wide channels is very good.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote:World cup or not the guys need to be playing to keep improving or stay at peak performance, I don't see it as any different to last season. They are being played to get up to speed with each other and then mid season their gametime will be curtailed to the H cup and big Pro14 games.

I watched the game last night on TV after getting back and have to say I'm a bit concerned about Johnny mouthing off at the ref as he left the field. He is captain now and is leading the team, the last we need is more refs who dislike us. I love his drive and passion but not doing it to the ref. It also doesn't send the right message to kids watching, Ive always been proud of the respect rugby at all levels gives its officials.
Yeah it was foolish alright. Made him look like a bit of a tool tbh.

He also had a serious go at the ref after we knocked on after an advantage in first half.

Ref had just called it and Sexton spent about 30 secs arguing with him.

In fairness to ref he was consistent on that all night.

With a less patient ref this won't fly.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote:
Theleinsterlad wrote:World cup or not the guys need to be playing to keep improving or stay at peak performance, I don't see it as any different to last season. They are being played to get up to speed with each other and then mid season their gametime will be curtailed to the H cup and big Pro14 games.

I watched the game last night on TV after getting back and have to say I'm a bit concerned about Johnny mouthing off at the ref as he left the field. He is captain now and is leading the team, the last we need is more refs who dislike us. I love his drive and passion but not doing it to the ref. It also doesn't send the right message to kids watching, Ive always been proud of the respect rugby at all levels gives its officials.
Yeah it was foolish alright. Made him look like a bit of a tool tbh.

He also had a serious go at the ref after we knocked on after an advantage in first half.

Ref had just called it and Sexton spent about 30 secs arguing with him.

In fairness to ref he was consistent on that all night.

With a less patient ref this won't fly.
It’s more the video analysis the refs do as a group the monday after the matches. They have been told to ref behaviour this year and if he continues to do this his reputation will get worse. You could see mouthing foul language to the ref. He is such a professional in everything else he does, it’s sad this part of his game lets him down poorly
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

wixfjord wrote:Mick K made 14 tackles and missed 0 along with 6 carries. Did some great work in the ruck and at lineout too in fairness to him.

Deserves a start in his old stomping ground next week.

Deegan had a good game also. His carrying in wide channels is very good.
was very disappointed with Mick K last season but thought he was great last night
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

In other news Seanie was involved in the pre-match warm-up and was on kicking-tee duties during the game
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought we were really good again. It was great that we could pretty much replicate our performance from last week in what was a much tougher game last night. I think we've started to see more of Felipe's influence in the last two games and it looks he's had a positive impact, the two set piece tries were sensational. Yes Edinburgh's attack was awful when they got close to our line but it was still a brilliant effort by us to keep them out. I wouldn't say the scoreline flattered us but it was certainly a tough game and we had to work for it, we look really well rounded already.

I'd echo the praise for Healy and Dev, they were everywhere and really drive the standards of this team. They never settle for just being in the right position, they're always looking to make an impact whether it's with counter rucking or going for the block down, they're relentless.

VDF was the standout for me though. Apart from his knock on and the forward pass he was exceptional. He didn't just make a rake of tackles, he was making big hits and driving people back, particularly when Edinburgh were on our line, his energy in that time was phenomenal. I loved seeing him sprint to the other side when we were short of numbers, must be inspiring to see someone putting in that kind of effort. I love his "little" contributions to tries, last week it was latching onto Fardy, this week it was his clearout before Ferg scored.

Lowe's power is such an asset because we can risk throwing it wide when we're short on numbers and know that he can dominate the contact and keep the ball. Most teams chuck it to the their 12 to truck it up when needed, whereas we can throw it to him and not only will he secure the ball but he'll probably create something too, not sure we've ever had anyone like that out wide.

The foreign player issue will be interesting for the next month. My guess is that Fardy will play next week, be rested for Munster, and play in both European games. I thought Luke was really good last night but that's a bit irrelevant really because the issue is the third choice nine coming in, not how well Luke and BFG are playing. It just feels like Lowe will be wasted a bit.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Lowe is constantly a threat and adds so much to our game, powerful and creative and unpredictable...........this issue with JGP / Fardy / Lowe is a pain...........
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I think refs should red card players who give them guff. "Get off! Go!" That would be my answer. I was delighted when Wayne Barnes gave Hartley his marching orders in the middle of the AP final a few years ago. This should happen more often. How long before Johnny goes full-on Serena?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:In other news Seanie was involved in the pre-match warm-up and was on kicking-tee duties during the game
Waterboy theory puts him on the bench next week for a comeback against....... Sean O'Brien. Will the universe survive?
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Very physical test that game last night, lot sore bodies today I reckon
Along with Connacht next week these 2 games are probably our biggest physical test in this block

Thought everybody played well tbh, pick of the forwards for me was Big Dev (like a fine wine that guy), Healy and JVDF
Pick of the backs was the back 3 and Ringrose
Set piece was good and our strike plays were on point too

Really enjoyed that scrum penalty after Cronin and Furlong came on, sheer force and gave us a great life
Defense on the line/22 in first half a hugely tone setting moment too so very pleasing

Small bit worried to get exposed out wide towards the end of game but that’s just nit picking

Great to have so much competition in the squad with SOB liking like he’s back along with Leavy
Big competition in second row and front row too
Back 3 highest competitive as well

Next few weeks will be great
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:In other news Seanie was involved in the pre-match warm-up and was on kicking-tee duties during the game
Waterboy theory puts him on the bench next week for a comeback against....... Sean O'Brien. Will the universe survive?
Great Scott (Fardy?)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I thought that was a five star performance, really enjoyed it.

Very, very impressed by how well Josh van der Flier has come back from injury. He really sets a high bar as a professional - works incredibly hard, doesn't do anything to bring adverse attention to himself or the team, plays very hard but fair. He looks like he has never been away.

To be honest, everyone played well, both with the ball and without it. The defense was outstanding in the first half, and a couple of the tries were pretty phenomenal. It was that sort of showing. I remember going to games in the Matt O'Connor era and sometimes it felt like a penance. Going to see this side is a real pleasure at the moment.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:I thought that was a five star performance, really enjoyed it.

Very, very impressed by how well Josh van der Flier has come back from injury. He really sets a high bar as a professional - works incredibly hard, doesn't do anything to bring adverse attention to himself or the team, plays very hard but fair. He looks like he has never been away.

To be honest, everyone played well, both with the ball and without it. The defense was outstanding in the first half, and a couple of the tries were pretty phenomenal. It was that sort of showing. I remember going to games in the Matt O'Connor era and sometimes it felt like a penance. Going to see this side is a real pleasure at the moment.
Your post captures the mood perfectly.
And yet there is still the sense that there's another gear available and we'll only see it when it's needed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Any thoughts on Jack Conan's form?

Conan played the full 80 mins, made 6 tackles and missed 3.

James Ryan played 20 mins, made 8 tackles and missed 0.

Maybe Conan is getting his match fitness back or a little rusty but he definitely needs to work harder for the team.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

elephantman wrote:Any thoughts on Jack Conan's form?

Conan played the full 80 mins, made 6 tackles and missed 3.

James Ryan played 20 mins, made 8 tackles and missed 0.

Maybe Conan is getting his match fitness back or a little rusty but he definitely needs to work harder for the team.
Playing a different role with VdF in tow
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

James Lowe is nearly worth the price of a season ticket by himself.

1 try given, 2 disallowed and he made another which wasn't given. And I've never seen someone manage to catch the ball and make a tackle at the same time.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

hugonaut wrote:I thought that was a five star performance, really enjoyed it.

I missed the match but yes, during the MOCalypse even the victories were like a penance. Lancaster's Leinster is a joy to watch.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Mickado wrote:James Lowe is nearly worth the price of a season ticket by himself.

1 try given, 2 disallowed and he made another which wasn't given. And I've never seen someone manage to catch the ball and make a tackle at the same time.
And next season hgv is IQ. So no more 3 into 2.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

johng wrote:
Mickado wrote:James Lowe is nearly worth the price of a season ticket by himself.

No sure that affects the 3 into 2 rule, but not an expert on that.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:

I'm concerned that Fardy's contract ending this season will lead to another Nathan Hines style departure.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish