Munster in the Aviva 2018 Edition

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lar
Mullet

Re: Munster in the Aviva 2018 Edition

Post by Lar »

Munster's whining and complaining feeds into the concept of the 'world is agin' us' culture which in fairness to them has served them pretty well over the years in motivating the squad.

On Stephen Archer I don't believe anyone believes any more than what you have described with Dan Leavy. Worth it to try and get away with a lot of the time but let's be as subtle about it as possible to increase the chances of the officials missing it. Leavy failed in Lyon 2017. Archer failed in Dublin 2018 especially as he had done precisely the same thing a few minutes earlier and got away with it. The Leinster team alerted the ref so he had an eye for it the second time. Daft of Archer to try it again. No one in Munster has claimed it wasn't a penalty.
Four Stars
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Neil Treacy on Twitter brought up an aspect of Munster's scrum which I didn't see at the match: https://twitter.com/neil_treacy/status/ ... gr%5Etweet
Someone here mentioned it after one of Munster's earlier matches this season alright. Its a penalty offence, back row players must bind on a lock with at least one arm. I guess it explains how they were competitive at the scrums.
That was me but didn't actually realise it was illegal.
Found it whilst looking for something else:

Re: The Province Formerly Known As Munster 2018-19
Postby LeRouxIsPHat » September 21st, 2018, 8:10 pm

POM binding on Archer's leg, never seen that before.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Last edited by LeRouxIsPHat on October 9th, 2018, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Lar wrote:Munster's whining and complaining feeds into the concept of the 'world is agin' us' culture which in fairness to them has served them pretty well over the years in motivating the squad.

On Stephen Archer I don't believe anyone believes any more than what you have described with Dan Leavy. Worth it to try and get away with a lot of the time but let's be as subtle about it as possible to increase the chances of the officials missing it. Leavy failed in Lyon 2017. Archer failed in Dublin 2018 especially as he had done precisely the same thing a few minutes earlier and got away with it. The Leinster team alerted the ref so he had an eye for it the second time. Daft of Archer to try it again. No one in Munster has claimed it wasn't a penalty.
No I'm not saying that Munster claimed the Archer one wasn't a penalty. My point was that if you allow people to make excuses then it will lead to more indiscipline and stupid penalties. We haven't seen Leavy do that since (and I know the two offences aren't identical) because we don't have a culture where we make excuses, we just try to get better.

For example, if I don't chastise Peg Leg for stalking me (see above) then I can hardly complain when he continues to do it :wink:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Toland on co-comms for the Earls yellow.
"Very harsh, its just a timing issue"
Yeah Liam, he got his timing wrong, he tackled a player before he received the ball, a yard short of the line.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote:Toland on co-comms for the Earls yellow.
"Very harsh, its just a timing issue"
Yeah Liam, he got his timing wrong, he tackled a player before he received the ball, a yard short of the line.
:lol:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Lar wrote:Munster's whining and complaining feeds into the concept of the 'world is agin' us' culture which in fairness to them has served them pretty well over the years in motivating the squad.

No I'm not saying that Munster claimed the Archer one wasn't a penalty. My point was that if you allow people to make excuses then it will lead to more indiscipline and stupid penalties. We haven't seen Leavy do that since (and I know the two offences aren't identical) because we don't have a culture where we make excuses, we just try to get better.

For example, if I don't chastise Peg Leg for stalking me (see above) then I can hardly complain when he continues to do it :wink:
We need to talk about your choice of shirt today. Not very flattering.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

In fairness if we had lost 7 of our last 8 meetings we might be whining too
Meow
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

The making excuses point is an interesting one. Van Graan spent a lot of time in the post match talking about the officiating. He didn't say much about the fat that they had the ball for most of the match, dominated the scrum and mauled excellently but couldn't break Leinster down. Face reality and you make progress. Make excuses for reality and you go backwards.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote: We need to talk about your choice of shirt today. Not very flattering.
I was hoping it would finally put you off.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote:
The making excuses point is an interesting one. Van Graan spent a lot of time in the post match talking about the officiating. He didn't say much about the fat that they had the ball for most of the match, dominated the scrum and mauled excellently but couldn't break Leinster down. Face reality and you make progress. Make excuses for reality and you go backwards.
Sorry for labouring this point but I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the video review. The impression you'd get from everything we've seen so far is that they just said "Great performance. We were robbed, keep doing what you're doing". Meanwhile Sweetnam is wondering why he didn't get any good ball and there's no prospect of that changing on Saturday.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Archer seems to me to epitomise the excuse making mentality: he does that pretty much every game I see him play. Lazy running and off the ball obstruction are his normal behaviour. I don't think he can handle the pace of the game.

If you select him that's what you are going to get. It's what you have got for years, why would it change?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

FLIP wrote:Munster post match whining is always a turnip for the books
The thread needed that. :lol:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:On second captains, when one of the hosts mentioned that Earls was offside, Thornley says maybe. MAYBE???????????????? I'd swear from listening to him it was the first time the very thought had ever occurred to him.

At the game I'd assumed the penalty was given against Earls and anyone saying there's a 14-point swing there is simply off their head. If it had gone to the TMO it still would have been a penalty to Leinster.
He actually said "Possibly ... possibly ... possibly ...". I sh*t you not, I just listened to it an hour or so ago.
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

I understand that this game was played at a neutral venue, but given that it was a Leinster home game can anyone explain why there was a giant munster flag flying before kickoff?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

maps wrote:I understand that this game was played at a neutral venue, but given that it was a Leinster home game can anyone explain why there was a giant munster flag flying before kickoff?
That was the flag for the Leinster B team.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

I would love it if next time Reggie gets a chance to interview O'Mahony. Maybe he (Reggie) could open with: "Well Peter thanks for joining us. Your new scrummaging technique is really innovative. Why do you feel the need to cheat?" The bould Pete will probably retort with the customary scowl "Are you questioning me or my team?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

John23 wrote:I would love it if next time Reggie gets a chance to interview O'Mahony. Maybe he (Reggie) could open with: "Well Peter thanks for joining us. Your new scrummaging technique is really innovative. Why do you feel the need to cheat?" The bould Pete will probably retort with the customary scowl "Are you questioning me or my team?
Seriously, POM should be asked on this. Do I expect that to actually happen? No- of course not, it’s so obviously a cheat that asking pulls back the curtain from around the Wizard of Oz set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Rugby is a game of getting away with as much cheating as possible
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Nine personnel changes and one positional change [Leavy to No6] between the starting XV named for the Wasps game and the starting XV named against Munster. Puts the 'classic derby' write-up into a different perspective.