Munster in the Aviva 2018 Edition

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Munster in the Aviva 2018 Edition

Post by mildlyinterested »

Injury report suggests Leavy & Ryan good to do.

Maybe J McGrath too.

Larmour an injury doubt(Hip).

SOB available also.

Sexton to be rested?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster in the Aviva 2018 Edition

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Injury report suggests Leavy & Ryan good to do.

Maybe J McGrath too.

SOB available also.

Sexton to be rested?
Why not? I would love to see Ross Byrne and Joey Carbery go head to head.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd go with...

Jack (if fit)/Ed Byrne
Tracy
Porter
Fardy
Ryan
Rhys (if fit)/Deegan
Leavy
SOB

BFG
Ross Byrne
Ferg
Henshaw
ROL
Adam Byrne
Rob

BB
Ed Byrne/Dooley
Bent
Molony
Deegan/Doris
Luke
Frawley
Tomane

I'd say DK will start and McCarthy will bench. If Rob doesn't perform then I'd go with Larmour at fullback next week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That'd be what I'd go with too.

Starting a back three of DK, Ferg and RK might be what we end up going with, but to be charitable they'll be giving up a few yards speed to their opposing counterparts!

Rhys and particularly Jack Mc being fit would be a big boost to the side.

Interesting to see if Munster will put out guys like POM and Carbery.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

We presumably won't be 'allowed' to start Sexton again? The same should in theory apply to Carbery (who has started three in a row and played the last 4/5), but we all know there's one rule for three of the provinces and another for Munster.
Their new scrumhalf looks lively. Got a very easy introduction though.

What did Ruddock go off with? I lost coverage for that moment. I really hope it is nothing serious. That poor b$&%@#d just can't catch a break.
Seen it on a few threads now, but why are people selecting SOB at 8 (and Deegan at 6)? We've three 8s in the squad and Ruddock has played there more than SOB over the past 4 years (can only remember SOB playing there once).

Is Barry Daly still injured? I'm not sure I'd want to see Byrne start this one.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd go with...

Jack (if fit)/Ed Byrne
Tracy
Porter
Fardy
Ryan
Rhys (if fit)/Deegan
Leavy
SOB

BFG
Ross Byrne
Ferg
Henshaw
ROL
Adam Byrne
Rob

BB
Ed Byrne/Dooley
Bent
Molony
Deegan/Doris
Luke
Frawley
Tomane

I'd say DK will start and McCarthy will bench. If Rob doesn't perform then I'd go with Larmour at fullback next week.
Not a bad mix considering the number of changes from last weekend. I wonder will they save Fardy for Europe and start Lowe. Kearney would come into the mix in that case and Adam Byrne would likely drop out.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

curates_egg wrote: Seen it on a few threads now, but why are people selecting SOB at 8 (and Deegan at 6)? We've three 8s in the squad and Ruddock has played there more than SOB over the past 4 years (can only remember SOB playing there once).
He played there for a couple of Euro games in 2011/12 covering for an injured Heaslip. He was European player of the year that year too!
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

joooooe wrote:
curates_egg wrote: Seen it on a few threads now, but why are people selecting SOB at 8 (and Deegan at 6)? We've three 8s in the squad and Ruddock has played there more than SOB over the past 4 years (can only remember SOB playing there once).
He played there for a couple of Euro games in 2011/12 covering for an injured Heaslip. He was European player of the year that year too![/quote

Fairly sure he also played their twice in Ravenhill in the past and we won both matches
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

joooooe wrote:
He played there for a couple of Euro games in 2011/12 covering for an injured Heaslip. He was European player of the year that year too!
I actually agree with you that it's an odd selection curates. Part of the reason I did it that way was because I'm unsure about Ruddock's fitness, but the main one was because of other people mentioning him as an 8 and the idea getting in my head that it actually makes sense to move him given that we have Leavy and VDF. It's not an idea I particularly like, but I can definitely see Joe being a fan of it, and given that this isn't a must win game I'd say it's worth trying out. If Conan is injured then realistically there's more chance of SOB being picked at 8 for a European game than Deegan.

If Conan was to miss a European game then personally I'd start Deegan, but it won't happen unless there are other injuries.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Also think Deegan will be unlucky not to start this weekend if he doesn't. Had Rhys stayed on on Saturday then SOB could have replaced Josh and it would have made sense for Deegan to come in this weekend. The way it worked out Rhys could probably do with the game time if he's fit.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote:We presumably won't be 'allowed' to start Sexton again? The same should in theory apply to Carbery (who has started three in a row and played the last 4/5), but we all know there's one rule for three of the provinces and another for Munster.

What did Ruddock go off with? I lost coverage for that moment. I really hope it is nothing serious. That poor b$&%@#d just can't catch a break.
Seen it on a few threads now, but why are people selecting SOB at 8 (and Deegan at 6)? We've three 8s in the squad and Ruddock has played there more than SOB over the past 4 years (can only remember SOB playing there once).

Ruddock and Larmour both reported to have hip injuries. Barry Daly is still injured.

Full report here: http://www.the42.ie/leinster-munster-in ... =shortlink
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

joooooe wrote:
It was 2010/11, of course. My bad.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Someone said a while back they'd like to see a Molony, Ryan partnership because they'd complement each other well. I agree with that and it could be a good fit in this game.

Fardy at blindside might be a possibility if Ruddock is injured. 6. Fardy, 7. O'Brien, 8. Deegan; 20. Leavy would be a good unit.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Technically true over the last four seasons, Ruddock has started 6 matches at 8 compared to O'Brien's 3, but SOB has started more games in that position overall (18 v 16).

O'Brien also started at 8 twice last season (home to Edinburgh and away to Ulster) compared to Ruddock's zero appearances in the 8 jersey.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:Technically true over the last four seasons, Ruddock has started 6 matches at 8 compared to O'Brien's 3, but SOB has started more games in that position overall (18 v 16).

O'Brien also started at 8 twice last season (home to Edinburgh and away to Ulster) compared to Ruddock's zero appearances in the 8 jersey.
joooooe wrote:
joooooe wrote:
It was 2010/11, of course. My bad.
That season when he played at 8 cos the Wolfman got his only other injury, I thought he was outstanding. I honestly thought that was where his future was. But it hasn't been.
I guess, in part, that was because Heaslip was so good; but clearly coaches have preferred him as a sux-and-a-half.

But we now have two very good 8s, who bring very different skills, and have shown they can mix it; and we also have Doris. Is now really the time to move him back?
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:If Conan is injured then realistically there's more chance of SOB being picked at 8 for a European game than Deegan.

If Conan was to miss a European game then personally I'd start Deegan, but it won't happen unless there are other injuries.
I guess that is the question: who do you play at 8 in the big games if Conan is injured. I really like what I've seen of Deegan. I think a backrow of Deegan with SOB/Ruddock and Leavy/VDF has everything you need - just typing that, it's amazing to see what options we have!

I would argue this weekend is a perfect opportunity to test Deegan and see if he has what it takes to start in Europe if necessary.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

This is a must win game. Maybe not in the context of us needing the league points, but in every other way its a must win game. If you don't believe me, ask Johnny.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

My wish for this match is Adam Byrne to start and for him to put Wooton in his box with a series of suitably forceful tackles!!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

riocard911 wrote:

Maybe J McGrath too.

SOB available also.

Sexton to be rested?
Rosser seen jogging in the Dublin/Wicklow moutains trying to lose his KGB tail. Joey spotted working out in a high tech gym while Brigitte Nielsen looks on approvingly.
Carboooooooo!

CARBOOOOOO!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

Maybe J McGrath too.

SOB available also.

Sexton to be rested?
Rosser seen jogging in the Dublin/Wicklow moutains trying to lose his KGB tail. Joey spotted working out in a high tech gym while Brigitte Nielsen looks on approvingly.
Carboooooooo!

CARBOOOOOO!!!
Prob a good idea for Rosser and KGB to be training together, good to hear. They have had a Rocky enough relationship on the pitch thus far.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote:
curates_egg wrote:We presumably won't be 'allowed' to start Sexton again? The same should in theory apply to Carbery (who has started three in a row and played the last 4/5), but we all know there's one rule for three of the provinces and another for Munster.

Ruddock and Larmour both reported to have hip injuries. Barry Daly is still injured.

Full report here: http://www.the42.ie/leinster-munster-in ... =shortlink
Not great hearing Ruddock has a hip issue. My memory (granted that this has been demonstrated to be extremely poor when it comes to players' injuries) is telling me he's had a few of those before, and even an operation. If he injures it after one game, it sounds worryingly chronic. Such an unsung hero, but also the de facto captain for a large chunk of the season; I really hope it is a big fat nothing burger.