Moderator: moderators

OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Wasps Friday BT Sport 7.45

Post by OTT »

rosscarrick wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:
Front row were good bar cronin’s couple of blips, I’m sure he’ll work hard this week on it, he’s been really solid last 18 months with the arrows so not a big worry as some people on here like to point out plus took his score unbelievably well

You're definitely a hooker that was burned a few times by throwing criticism!

His throwing has been good, it was poor on Friday, hopefully it will improve for Toulouse because we'll need it.

Is Cronin the best lineout thrower we have in our squad, or at least on the pitch?
I could never understand why Jackman (or Shane Byrne) was always allowed throw the ball in, back in the day.
Surely there is someone better in the 15, let them throw it in?
From about the age of 25 to 33 Shane Byrne was up there with the best lineout throwers in the world, strange comment.

He messed up for the Lions in 2005 in a pack that messed up most things they did but it was his throwing that got him a start ahead of Thompson in the first place.

Did he not have some stat where he held the record for most successive throws won in a row at some stage for Ireland when Keith Wood was injured 30 something??(one of the stattos here I am sure will know the answer to this).
Last edited by OTT on October 15th, 2018, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

OTT wrote:
He messed up for the Lions in 2005 in a pack that messed up most things they did but it was his throwing that got him a start ahead of Thompson in the first place.
My fleeting brush with media fame was during a preseason friendly against Saints after the Lions tour, Thompson was doing water/towel boy and Saints had a lineout in our 22. He threw the towel to his hooker to dry the ball with and missed (in fairness, towels aren't particularly aerodynamic) - I made a smart arsed comment (which I have since forgotten but I'm sure it was comedy gold) - which to give credit to Thompson he found funny (unusual I know) - that made its way into the next days match report in the papers
I have Bumbleflex
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

OTT wrote:
rosscarrick wrote:
Gearzbox2 wrote:
Front row were good bar cronin’s couple of blips, I’m sure he’ll work hard this week on it, he’s been really solid last 18 months with the arrows so not a big worry as some people on here like to point out plus took his score unbelievably well

Is Cronin the best lineout thrower we have in our squad, or at least on the pitch?
I could never understand why Jackman (or Shane Byrne) was always allowed throw the ball in, back in the day.
Surely there is someone better in the 15, let them throw it in?
From about the age of 25 to 33 Shane Byrne was up there with the best lineout throwers in the world, strange comment.

Did he not have some stat where he held the record for most successive throws won in a row at some stage for Ireland when Keith Wood was injured 30 something??(one of the stattos here I am sure will know the answer to this).
Okay, but the point stands, no?
Surely you can see what Im saying?
The French are predictably unpredictable
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Always thought it was Jerry Flannery who said that...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

curates_egg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ruddock was my man of the match, he was superb. Cian Healy will not enjoy the Monday review, two knock on's in the first half and a penalty.
Three knock-ons. One when we had advantage, so we didn't lose possession. To be fair, the pass for the third one wasn't great.
A couple of seasons ago Church kept dropping the ball. Last season, he was back to his best as a carrier.
You mean that time when he was battling a nerve injury in his hand that was almost career ending?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

ronk wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Ruddock was my man of the match, he was superb. Cian Healy will not enjoy the Monday review, two knock on's in the first half and a penalty.
Three knock-ons. One when we had advantage, so we didn't lose possession. To be fair, the pass for the third one wasn't great.
A couple of seasons ago Church kept dropping the ball. Last season, he was back to his best as a carrier.
You mean that time when he was battling a nerve injury in his hand that was almost career ending?
No. That was 2015 when he couldn't play at all. It took him until last season to get back to top form though.

As a matter of interest: do you think it is ok for a rugby player to keep dropping the ball?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote: No. That was 2015 when he couldn't play at all. It took him until last season to get back to top form though.

As a matter of interest: do you think it is ok for a rugby player to keep dropping the ball?
If it's followed swiftly by a kick... yes
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
curates_egg wrote: No. That was 2015 when he couldn't play at all. It took him until last season to get back to top form though.

If it's followed swiftly by a kick... yes
That is something I would like to see Healy do!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

curates_egg wrote:
No. That was 2015 when he couldn't play at all. It took him until last season to get back to top form though.

The guy couldn't hold a pen and write. It took a long time for his nerves to heal after he got his injury. Sure he got back playing, but he wasn't healed fully.

http://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-retire-n ... 9-Dec2017/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There was some talk about Jimmy Gopperth last week, good to see the reception he got from the terrace at half time on Friday after he did his bit on the telly, he was genuinely delighted with it.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dave Cahill wrote:There was some talk about Jimmy Gopperth last week, good to see the reception he got from the terrace at half time on Friday after he did his bit on the telly, he was genuinely delighted with it.
Good to hear.

Quality player.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Dave Cahill wrote:There was some talk about Jimmy Gopperth last week, good to see the reception he got from the terrace at half time on Friday after he did his bit on the telly, he was genuinely delighted with it.
He was on the same flight as me and shared a taxi to the RDS with a couple of Wasps fans. Always struck me as a decent chap who suffered greatly from MOC’s poor coaching.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

outcast eddie wrote:
He was on the same flight as me and shared a taxi to the RDS with a couple of Wasps fans. Always struck me as a decent chap who suffered greatly from MOC’s poor coaching.
What might have been if only MOC had played Jimmy at 12 and Mads at 10
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote:
outcast eddie wrote:
Mads should have been a 9
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
outcast eddie wrote: He was on the same flight as me and shared a taxi to the RDS with a couple of Wasps fans. Always struck me as a decent chap who suffered greatly from MOC’s poor coaching.
Mads should have been a 9
That would've solved the Atb, RPG, Lrip, JMcG argument. Although I'm starting to suspect that I've just listed 3 people there.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sigh... I’m not convinced that’s an argument that ever could be solved Peg.