Leinster v Wasps Friday BT Sport 7.45

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Wasps Friday BT Sport 7.45

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Our side is the most aggressive selection we've made for a European game in years. Leo & Burt have nailed their colours firmly to the mast of pace and continuity, without the typical approach of selecting a pack which will grind the opposition to pieces whilst the halves and back-line execute specific plays, against identified weaknesses in our opponents.

I'm not saying that this team isn't capable of doing just that, but the selections of Larmour, Ryan, JVdF and Leavy in particular suggest to me that we will contest the breakdowns ferociously, attack in multi-phased handling movements with backs and forwards carrying and, overall, play with NZ-like pace, when in possession.

The weather may produce a game of two halves, but the wet will only increase the premium for the more skillful side. Based on the two occasions I have watched Wasps this Season, Leinster are significantly more skilled in handling, than this Wasps team.

This is a team picked to send out a message to Europe and send back a message to the entire Squad "There are no automatic selections. Internal competition is our main driver".

Ferg, Rhys, SO'B and RO'L will naturally feel disappointment, but there will be big games ahead where their respective skill-sets and competitive streaks will earn them starting jerseys and Squad selections. Each of them is mature enough to understand the message that this selection broadcasts.

The juices are already rising in contemplation!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster start the defence of the Heineken Champions Cup in fine fettle.

They come in on the back of two excellent derby wins, overwhelming Connacht in Galway and then being able to rest several stars and still beat Munster at the Aviva Stadium last week. The short turnaround from that match was the reason the likes of Jonathan Sexton, Tadhg Furlong and the rest were given the day off and if Leinster win tomorrow too Leo Cullen will be feeling pretty pleased with himself.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

limecat wrote:Match Preview

Leinster start the defence of the Heineken Champions Cup in fine fettle.

They come in on the back of two excellent derby wins, overwhelming Connacht in Galway and then being able to rest several stars and still beat Munster at the Aviva Stadium last week. The short turnaround from that match was the reason the likes of Jonathan Sexton, Tadhg Furlong and the rest were given the day off and if Leinster win tomorrow too Leo Cullen will be feeling pretty pleased with himself.

Read more...
Oi you! Get back to enjoying your honeymoon. Congrats again Mr & Mrs Limecat :happy clapper:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

leinsterforever wrote:Can't understand Tomane over O'Loughlin
Can't understand Tomane over Ferg.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Probably just his accent though. :)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe it's just pace? Daly is electric.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Maybe it's just pace? Daly is electric.
I think basset is quicker and more dangerous, watch out for him
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Tomane isn't fast though, he's been seriously caught for pace with us. ROL is much pacier.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

With wasps missing so many, its hard not to see a cricket score. I think this is possibly the strongest team and bench we've ever been able to field, and not only that, almost all have had some tough games to test them recently so they are also battle hardened. Leo, Stuart and Dr Phil have been winding up for this one for a while, expect fireworks!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:Tomane isn't fast though, he's been seriously caught for pace with us. ROL is much pacier.
Sorry, I appear to have invented posts above mine. Thought they were about why Ferg isn't starting.

This storm has me frazzled.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Just took in the wind-chime. The spooky silence and stillness terrify me.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

V quiet on the luas. Jeffrey mcMassive storm downgrade.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Really looking forward to this. I think JVDF and Leavy could be the Leinster and Irish equivalent of how Pocock and Hooper are for OZ. Can't wait.
bargepole
Beginner

Post by bargepole »

Wasps supporter in peace here.

I can't disagree with most of the comments on this thread, and the bookies agree as well, making Leinster favourites by 16 -19 points.

Even with Launchbury, Robson, Hughes and Wade in the team, we've been unconvincing so far this season, and although we have beefed up the pack so that we are no longer bullied in the scrums, our defence has been far too porous.

Our only hope is to make use of every bit of possession we get, and try to put Le Roux, Daly and Bassett into space, perhaps the one area where we have an edge over the home side.

If I had to predict a scoreline, it would probably be something like 46-19, and I shall be peering out from behind the sofa, fearing the worst. But, you never know ...
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So are you saying that you have Tom Cruse on the bench for mission impossible?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bargepole wrote:Wasps supporter in peace here.

I can't disagree with most of the comments on this thread, and the bookies agree as well, making Leinster favourites by 16 -19 points.

Even with Launchbury, Robson, Hughes and Wade in the team, we've been unconvincing so far this season, and although we have beefed up the pack so that we are no longer bullied in the scrums, our defence has been far too porous.

Our only hope is to make use of every bit of possession we get, and try to put Le Roux, Daly and Bassett into space, perhaps the one area where we have an edge over the home side.

If I had to predict a scoreline, it would probably be something like 46-19, and I shall be peering out from behind the sofa, fearing the worst. But, you never know ...
If memory serves me correctly BP you've got 'forn' from previous predictions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Looking at the weather forecast this could be a good game to win the toss.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschool wrote:Looking at the weather forecast this could be a good game to win the toss.
Wind looks to be pretty much the same for the whole match https://www.met.ie/.
Shouldn't be a factor if we continue playing the type of rugby we've been playing. We're not Munster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:So are you saying that you have Tom Cruse on the bench for mission impossible?
He's on the bench with a few good men tbf. I think it's risky business playing Le Roux for this one myself seems like a cocktail for disaster. Wasps definitely start as the outsiders we are far and away the favourites and that squad picked looks to be making all the right moves, but its hardly lions for lambs here. With a bit of luck the weather will hold off, I'm a southstander and the thoughts of sitting through a match in tropic thunder is horrific, give me a nice calm vanilla sky and I'll be happy. I don't like rain, man.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Peg Leg wrote:
johng wrote:So are you saying that you have Tom Cruse on the bench for mission impossible?
He's on the bench with a few good men tbf. I think it's risky business playing Le Roux for this one myself seems like a cocktail for disaster. Wasps definitely start as the outsiders we are far and away the favourites and that squad picked looks to be making all the right moves, but its hardly lions for lambs here. With a bit of luck the weather will hold off, I'm a southstander and the thoughts of sitting through a match in tropic thunder is horrific, give me a nice calm vanilla sky and I'll be happy. I don't like rain, man.
So long as you stand Firm, and don't keep your eyes wide shut, you be ok. Far and away in a better position than those out west, even if the colour of your money only stretches as far as the South Stand.
First pool matches are always a risky business but, we've all the right moves, so we shouldn't be losin' it. With any hope the post match with Dai Young will be like an interview with a vampire.