Leinster & a "converyor belt of nines"

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster & a "converyor belt of nines"

Post by Degz »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
Degz wrote:The two positions in which Leinster are deficient are hooker and scrum-half. Nowhere else.

Luke hasn't ever really sorted his passing issue, it's just not snappy enough and his long pass accuracy is poor, regularly stunting moves by causing the receiver to readjust. JGP on the other hand has serious issues with his box kicking, which is probably understandable as it is such an important part of the NH game as opposed to where he learned his rugby. Both are fairly inconsistent also.

At this moment in time I'd probably pick Park, but with the weather and a potential game plan looking to keep Wasps honest for 60 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Luke start.
Do you not think in the last 12 months both SH have significantly improved the deficiencies you cite?
Not particularly, no.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

JGP has certainly improved his kicking and has generally gotten better as a player since he arrived. His best performances have come in the last 10 months. McGrath has had less passing howlers too.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:McCarthy is under serious pressure from O'Sullivan and needs to perform when given opportunities this season, he turns 24 later this season and has not progressed well for a former ireland u20 captain etc.
Is this your opinion or is it what's being said inside the Leinster camp? I am not dissing O'Sullivan,I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate him.

McCarthy progressed well enough last year to be a viable option in leaving JGP out of the matchday 23. He played well in the chances he got, scored a few tries, including a brace in one.

All that he has done since is fracture a bone and miss game time asaresult. He was given much needed game-time for the A-team last weekend rather than play water-boy in the Munster match. I think he will sub to Luke against Wasps this weekend.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

It's quite obviously my opinion.

I think most people would think there is a rather large gap between JGP and McCarthy, which was highlighted when McCarthy was exposed to the top level of rugby last season.

As I said he is under pressure to perform when give his chance..
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:McCarthy is under serious pressure from O'Sullivan and needs to perform when given opportunities this season, he turns 24 later this season and has not progressed well for a former ireland u20 captain etc.
Is this your opinion or is it what's being said inside the Leinster camp? I am not dissing O'Sullivan,I haven't seen enough of him to evaluate him.

McCarthy progressed well enough last year to be a viable option in leaving JGP out of the matchday 23. He played well in the chances he got, scored a few tries, including a brace in one.

All that he has done since is fracture a bone and miss game time asaresult. He was given much needed game-time for the A-team last weekend rather than play water-boy in the Munster match. I think he will sub to Luke against Wasps this weekend.
McCarthy looked good at the start of the season, and I thought he was encouraging, but he looked dodgy after that, and the coaches seemed to avoid playing him unless totally necessary.
Based on the former, I'd be happy to see him get another shot though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote:
backrower8 wrote:

McCarthy looked good at the start of the season, and I thought he was encouraging, but he looked dodgy after that, and the coaches seemed to avoid playing him unless totally necessary.
Based on the former, I'd be happy to see him get another shot though.
Me too, but he is under pressure to perform.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Who was the last top class scrum half out of leinster?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

tomthefan wrote:Who was the last top class scrum half out of leinster?
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Maybe, not sure, who else?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:It's quite obviously my opinion.

I think most people would think there is a rather large gap between JGP and McCarthy, which was highlighted when McCarthy was exposed to the top level of rugby last season.

It was not obvious at all to me that it was your opinion, which is why I asked the question. I note that you appear to be at a lot of games (perhaps in a media role?) which is why I thought that you might have an inside line on how he is perceived to be doing.

I think most players in Leinster are under a lot of pressure to perform, more anyway than in most squads.

McCarthy (23) was only first capped when an academy player in April 2016 and given a senior contract last year as the number 3 behind two youngish 9s and was limited as a result to 3 starts. He won't develop fully until he has more game time, but his speed and accuracy of pass is already better than the 2 ahead of him.

I am not saying he is the messiah, but I don't agree with you that he is under any more pressure than the average squad player at a similar stage of development.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote:

It was not obvious at all to me that it was your opinion, which is why I asked the question. I note that you appear to be at a lot of games (perhaps in a media role?) which is why I thought that you might have an inside line on how he is perceived to be doing.

I think most players in Leinster are under a lot of pressure to perform, more anyway than in most squads.

McCarthy (23) was only first capped when an academy player in April 2016 and given a senior contract last year as the number 3 behind two youngish 9s and was limited as a result to 3 starts. He won't develop fully until he has more game time, but his speed and accuracy of pass is already better than the 2 ahead of him.

I am not saying he is the messiah, but I don't agree with you that he is under any more pressure than the average squad player at a similar stage of development.
Ah so you agree, he is under pressure to perform when he is given a chance in the senior team.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:

Ah so you agree, he is under pressure to perform when he is given a chance in the senior team.
Who isn't?
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Ask a French or English man - the would say Alain Rolland won so many games for France!
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
thecomedian
Beginner

Post by thecomedian »

Scally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

thecomedian wrote:

Scally

+1,

Same year in school and made his international debut before O'Driscoll, shame of a career to be finished by age 20/21
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

A “large gap between JGP/ McGrath” to McCarthy, I assume you mean? Because it seems to me that most people- well of the comment here anyway, accepts that Jamie has at least levelled if not passed out Luke on current form.

Anyway- I think McCarthy has played quite well for us as third option SH. I haven’t see enough of the new wunderkind recently, other than as waterboy/ tee porter last week, to make a judgement on their relative standards.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

thecomedian wrote:

Scally

Cooney
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
thecomedian wrote:

Scally

Cooney
There is very little between Cooney and JGP/McGrath. If we're not calling them 'top class' then he isn't either!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

wixfjord wrote:

There is very little between Cooney and JGP/McGrath. If we're not calling them 'top class' then he isn't either!
I believe they all are "top class".
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster & a

Post by artaneboy »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

I believe they all are "top class".
Are they in the same class as Arron Smith and Murray? I don’t think so? So they can’t by definition be “top class.”

On my current “Ireland” listing- I’d place it-
Murray
Cooney
JGP
Marmion
McGrath
Blade
And then it really drops off. Not a huge gap between any of them from Cooney to Luke- but there are gaps all the same.

"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"