A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Toulouse vs Leinster

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
bluemagic wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oddly can't find this anywhere on Twitter but heard on the radio that Rob is a doubt with a thigh injury, and Healy is a doubt as well.

I'd be pretty happy to start Larmour at fullback and Ferg back on the wing anyway.
I’d be concerned about starting Larmour at fullback in this kind of game away from home. This game is made for Rob K where avoiding soilly mistakes and giving up easy territory to a monsterous Tolouse pack could be the key to success
What have you seen from Larmour to suggest that he wouldn't also be a safe pair of hands? If Rob is fit then I'd play him but I'd certainly back Larmour to excel if he's there instead.

If Cormac is right about Ferg then suddenly our back three options don't look great compared to last season. No Rob, Ferg, or Daly to add to Isa and Joey leaving in the summer.
Most of Tomane's caps on the wing; and those clamouring for ROL on the wing will see it as an opportunity.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
bluemagic wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Oddly can't find this anywhere on Twitter but heard on the radio that Rob is a doubt with a thigh injury, and Healy is a doubt as well.

I'd be pretty happy to start Larmour at fullback and Ferg back on the wing anyway.
I’d be concerned about starting Larmour at fullback in this kind of game away from home. This game is made for Rob K where avoiding soilly mistakes and giving up easy territory to a monsterous Tolouse pack could be the key to success
What have you seen from Larmour to suggest that he wouldn't also be a safe pair of hands? If Rob is fit then I'd play him but I'd certainly back Larmour to excel if he's there instead.

If Cormac is right about Ferg then suddenly our back three options don't look great compared to last season. No Rob, Ferg, or Daly to add to Isa and Joey leaving in the summer.
He screwed up last Friday but never got punished for it. I remember that he did but can’t remember what it was :lol:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
bluemagic wrote:

I thought that DK was absolutely excellent against Munster 'A'. Took three out of three high balls cleanly under strong competition and looked really lively when he got on the ball in attack. Would have no problems with him stepping in.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I'm not saying we're screwed, just that last season's options were better.

Paddyor, the mistake was kicking it out on the full after he'd made a brilliant catch close to the touchline. I really wouldn't be worried about him though, it's Toulouse who should be worried.

Apropos of nothing, I forgot how good VDF's break was in the first half. Brilliant one handed catch and then really powered away, great stuff.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Toulouse backs have run in some nice tries the last few weeks, they've a good pack and they won't just roll over.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ROL and Tomane are both more at home on the left wing. I think DK is the man to back if RK and McFadden are out
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote:Toulouse backs have run in some nice tries the last few weeks, they've a good pack and they won't just roll over.
TBH, I thought they looked ordinary v Bath.
2 things though.
Their kicks to touch are long and accurate, and with our dodgy lineouts that could be a platform for them.
Kolbe is a JackRabbit. Very hard to pin down.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Toulouse backs have run in some nice tries the last few weeks, they've a good pack and they won't just roll over.
TBH, I thought they looked ordinary v Bath.
2 things though.
Their kicks to touch are long and accurate, and with our dodgy lineouts that could be a platform for them.
Kolbe is a JackRabbit. Very hard to pin down.
I thought they looked knackered against Bath. But they seem to have some skill, pace and decent set plays in the backs.
Everyone talks about their heavy pack and Kaino, but they still have some vestiges of the swashbuckling Toulouse side of the noughties. Kolbe is a livewire, as you say (they've also got Medard and Huget) ; Guitone is also playing very well (did well in the centre for them against Bath); if Dupont gets back to form, he's a great player - he'll have had two sub games under his belt, and may start against us. Medard and Mermoz have the experience. 10 is maybe an issue for them: Ntamack is the great white hope, but they've being doing a Carbery/Madigan with him. Zack Holmes was good with La Rochelle but he seems to be the classic French solution at 10 (a not quite good enough Anzac).
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but it certainly looked like McFadden picked up a hamstring injury when warming down after the warm-up on Friday evening.
Yeah my brother noticed that too. He wasn't limping too badly after about 30 seconds though so hopefully it wasn't a bad one.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

curates_egg wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Pitch will be sticky and we'll need a big pack performance.
It's a way out yet, but the weather for the weekend looks decent: http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-m ... ouse/31000
Good for those who are travelling and for de-stickying the pitch.
Toulouse right next to the department that got hit by flash floods yesterday...
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Kaino and Pointud cited for Toulouse:

https://www.epcrugby.com/2018/10/16/dis ... round-1-2/

Kaino would obviously be a huge loss.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Hearings to take place in Paris tomorrow evening. At wors it disrupts his weeks training
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

bluemagic wrote:Hearings to take place in Paris tomorrow evening. At wors it disrupts his weeks training
Hard to say if it was deliberate or just careless, but Jamie Roberts had to sit out the rest of the match after the hit Kaino was penalised for. Ref adjudged him to have led with his shoulder into the tackle thereby coming into contact with the opposition players head. In some ways it would be a pity if Kaino has to sit this match out, as I reckon our Seanie has a bone to pick with him due to certain late hit to his back at ruck time in the Third Lions Test in NZ last year.....
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Don't want them to have any excuses. Hope they are free to play.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Trouble for Kaino is that this is a type of tackle that WR is trying to get out of the game. You make contact with your shoulder on the head and you risk a red card. Ref didn't seem to consider it deliberate but thought it was reckless which to a disciplinary committee is almost as bad.
Four Stars
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Peg Leg wrote:Don't want them to have any excuses. Hope they are free to play.
They can have all the excuses they want as long as we win. :D
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The referee did have a better view of the Kaino tackle and the angles of the replays weren't great, but was I alone in thinking that it was just a brilliant hit?

Lowe has a habit of going high when he's stepped inside, which Kolbe is incredibly good at doing. Henshaw and Ringrose are both brilliant at getting across so if he trusts them to do that then we should be alright.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The referee did have a better view of the Kaino tackle and the angles of the replays weren't great, but was I alone in thinking that it was just a brilliant hit?

Lowe has a habit of going high when he's stepped inside, which Kolbe is incredibly good at doing. Henshaw and Ringrose are both brilliant at getting across so if he trusts them to do that then we should be alright.
It was a marginal call and I suppose you couldn't be too harsh on the ref for giving a yellow. Looking at the replays tho it appears to me that initial (ferocious) contact is shoulder to throat/neck. I didn't think Kaino was up to much nor has been since he arrived in France though so perhaps not a big deal if he plays or not. He is 35.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The referee did have a better view of the Kaino tackle and the angles of the replays weren't great, but was I alone in thinking that it was just a brilliant hit?

I thought Kaino was lucky there was no reverse angle which would have given a better view of where his shoulder made contact. I know that Roberts' chin is a massive target but it looked like he caught him there.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote:

I thought Kaino was lucky there was no reverse angle which would have given a better view of where his shoulder made contact. I know that Roberts' chin is a massive target but it looked like he caught him there.
+1, and I slowed it down to look carefully. It was almost like the definition of a tackle that they are trying to outlaw and Kaino's shoulder makes full contact before either arm wraps. He'll be lucky to avoid a holiday.