Nick McCarthy

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Nick McCarthy

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Experimental wrote:Lets not forget McCarthy has the opportunity to work under the best 9 in the world, that's not to be sniffed at. I think if any of us got the chance to work under the person whos the best in the world at our chosen profession, we would take it with both hands. Decent move for him, and good luck to him. Will benefit Irish rugby

Thats not the culture at Munster though, or at least it wasn't anyways according to a variety of autobiogs written by former Munster players. They have a more, shall we say, darwinian, culture there.
Well then fair f%~ks for taking on that challenge. I somehow doubt that culture remains in this Ireland 1st era of JS
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Experimental wrote:Lets not forget McCarthy has the opportunity to work under the best 9 in the world, that's not to be sniffed at. I think if any of us got the chance to work under the person whos the best in the world at our chosen profession, we would take it with both hands. Decent move for him, and good luck to him. Will benefit Irish rugby

Thats not the culture at Munster though, or at least it wasn't anyways according to a variety of autobiogs written by former Munster players. They have a more, shall we say, darwinian, culture there.
Well then fair f%~ks for taking on that challenge. I somehow doubt that culture remains in this Ireland 1st era of JS
didn't hear the interview, but apparently Copeland said the pressure to perform down there is immense
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

So why did Carbury leave again?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

You are absolutely right. That has been my experience.
Quite a few people got that opportunity with me and were always very appreciative of my willingness to pass on my knowledge.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

deco wrote:
Because he had learned as much as could and knew he wasn't going to be able (let, permitted, wasn't as good - interpret as you will) to replace his mentor so he decided that the far away hills looked greener.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Said culture was what Robin Copeland was alluding to in his interviews on moving to Connacht. Munster's short termism is bad for Irish rugby.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Oldschool wrote:
deco wrote:
Because he had learned as much as could and knew he wasn't going to be able (let, permitted, wasn't as good - interpret as you will) to replace his mentor so he decided that the far away hills looked greener.
Ahh, so did he do all this learning when he wasn't getting enough Shminutes?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

deco wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
deco wrote:
Starting to worry that Schmidt won't cap Lowe for selfish future reasons.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Nobody from Munster is there anymore though, the new culture is purely about stealing from others.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
Starting to worry that Schmidt won't cap Lowe for selfish future reasons.[/quote]
Very machiavellian.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:Well then fair f%~ks for taking on that challenge. I somehow doubt that culture remains in this Ireland 1st era of JS
I dunno, the whole Penny-Foley-Erasmus series of transitions was like something from the Terran Empire in Star Trek
I have Bumbleflex
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Munster are rapidly becoming a total joke shop of a province.......it seems they have migrated entirely to poaching Leinster players, finding saffers who are happy playing Munster ball and whining to the IRFU looking for spare overseas players when Murray goes down....desperation seems to have removed any shred of self respect.....
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
blockhead wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Odd that we're weakened by losing a player who we didn't rate and wasn't an elite prospect.
Very funny, but the point is that it's not just McCarthy is it? Joey and Jordi too, gone in the space of a few months with hints that it's only the start. We lost Jamie last season and still had a backrower pushed out the door, we also lost Isa and and Strauss.
From Munster's perspective, why pour time and money into an academy when you can pick and chose form Leinster's? Much cheaper.
I buy the Joey bit of being forced out, but Jordi and Nick moved out of self interest to get more game time and they were right. I get that in the case of McCarthy it was in the middle of his contract.
We need some perspective here. McCarthy is 3rd choice SH, Jordi 3rd choice no 8 or 4th choice no 7 and Joey was 3rd choice no 10 (I think he should have been 2nd choice but Leo and Stuart thought otherwise).
I get this - the question is - why munster - if any team needs a 9 - its Ulster - actually a 10 was more a priority for them also..
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blueberry wrote:Munster are rapidly becoming a total joke shop of a province.......it seems they have migrated entirely to poaching Leinster players, finding saffers who are happy playing Munster ball and whining to the IRFU looking for spare overseas players when Murray goes down....desperation seems to have removed any shred of self respect.....
+1 :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Speaking to the Irish Times ahead of tomorrow's game with Toulouse, Cullen spoke of the difficulty of keeping such a crop of talent happy given limited playing opportunities and then criticised his rivals' furtive attempts to entice Leinster talent.
Even sometimes when they're not starting or on the bench, they feel like there is a plan and a programme in place for them to improve and they enjoy the experience of being here as well. They feel like the club is taking care of them.
So, there's other things that clubs are promising... we're aware of other teams close to here ringing up young players and selling them stories about what they are going to get somewhere else.
We know that that's there, the club is very aware of it and what we can do about it is limited.
He's fairly pissed alright.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Seems fairly coherent and sober to me