Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by mildlyinterested »

interested to see how long David Aspil and Rowan Osborne stick around, both are the same age group as James Ryan so born in 1996.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-academy-2 ... 7-Jul2019/
Jack Kelly, who made his Pro14 debut against Ospreys last term and recently featured for the Ireland sevens team, is the only player not to progress onto a professional contract at this stage, but The42 understands he will remain within the province’s set-up during the upcoming World Cup period amid ongoing contract discussions.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There is an anecdotal story that DN told the Leinster Professional Board, 'let some more go elsewhere and you can take in another 2 or 3'. Nobody should be surprised. Nucifora want more mobility from the Leinster 'supply chain' which represents more than 50% of the players getting selected at every national representative level.

However, if true, Nucifora is playing roulette with young guy's lives. The ones who miss out this year will not get another go at being 19 next year.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hugo Keenan injured for 7's at weekend, scored a try too.

Jack Kelly scored three tries.
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

mildlyinterested wrote:interested to see how long David Aspil and Rowan Osborne stick around, both are the same age group as James Ryan so born in 1996.
Not sure about Osborne but Aspil was in line to get game time before injuring his ankle this season so he might stick around. 7 is a competitive jersey but with Leavy out and VDF probably at the RWC there could definitely be an opportunity for him.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote:There is an anecdotal story that DN told the Leinster Professional Board, 'let some more go elsewhere and you can take in another 2 or 3'. Nobody should be surprised. Nucifora want more mobility from the Leinster 'supply chain' which represents more than 50% of the players getting selected at every national representative level.

However, if true, Nucifora is playing roulette with young guy's lives. The ones who miss out this year will not get another go at being 19 next year.
It would be bizarre if true. What sensible club would get rid of the best prospects to get access to lower rated ones?

It would only be a negotiating position to keep squad size small and create general pressure. But its also a specific demand that is guaranteed to be rejected.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pro14 fixtures released tomorrow at 1pm with confirmed ko times and dates up to and including Round 20
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hugo Keenan injured playing 7's rugby, is currently wearing a fairly heavy duty knee brace.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

AIL players Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf/DUFC), David Aspil(Backrow/St. Marys) and Tony Ryan(Backrow/Clontarf) have been training with Leinster in the early stages of the province’s pre-season.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-osborne-a ... 2-Jul2019/
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:AIL players Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf/DUFC), David Aspil(Backrow/St. Marys) and Tony Ryan(Backrow/Clontarf) have been training with Leinster in the early stages of the province’s pre-season.

I liked the look of Ryan when he played with Leinster before. Don't know anything about Osborne, and I don't think I've seen anything of Aspil since the 2016 JWRC. Is he just an openside, or can he cover elsewhere?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Openside.

Osborne is a 5'6. 75kg scrumhalf.
bertlim
Beginner

Post by bertlim »

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:AIL players Rowan Osborne(Scrumhalf/DUFC), David Aspil(Backrow/St. Marys) and Tony Ryan(Backrow/Clontarf) have been training with Leinster in the early stages of the province’s pre-season.

I liked the look of Ryan when he played with Leinster before. Don't know anything about Osborne, and I don't think I've seen anything of Aspil since the 2016 JWRC. Is he just an openside, or can he cover elsewhere?
Osborne was excellent for Trinity for Trinity this season
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Wasn't Tony Ryan cover at the last WC? He's an 8 by trade IIRC
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

leinsterforever wrote: I liked the look of Ryan when he played with Leinster before. Don't know anything about Osborne, and I don't think I've seen anything of Aspil since the 2016 JWRC. Is he just an openside, or can he cover elsewhere?
Think Aspil has played 6 for Mary's but not often at all, definitely an out and out 7
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

johng wrote:Wasn't Tony Ryan cover at the last WC? He's an 8 by trade IIRC
That's my recollection.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Yep, made one appearance off the bench away to the Scarlets. A 25-14 defeat.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

With Keenan getting injured on 7's duty, you'd assume Kelly will get a longer look once he finished with 7's.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:
Ha. I was at that. Was the weekend of the WC QFs in Cardiff. Scarlets Friday. Abs v france Saturday and Ireland v Argentina sunday morning.

Cathal marsh had a mare unless I'm mixing up games
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:
Ha. I was at that. Was the weekend of the WC QFs in Cardiff. Scarlets Friday. Abs v france Saturday and Ireland v Argentina sunday morning.

Cathal marsh had a mare unless I'm mixing up games
Think you're mixing up games with regards to Marsh. It was Ross Byrne's first start for Leinster and he was a bit nervy. Noel Reid also threw a horror intercept pass to gift the Scarlets a try with Leinster in a strong attacking position. My memory is that Leinster improved quite a bit in the second half when the subs, including Marsh and Ryan, came on
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Yeah, Marsh was actually really good in that game coming off the bench. Byrne had a bit of a tough day as starter, and Marsh managed to really turn things around and kick-start a mini-revival.