Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by ronk »

Cronin missing the Irish squad probably took away just enough game time. 4 hookers is not excessive (it's about right) but it can be hard to get game time.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Struggled with throwing but insist he's best offloader I've seen in the club when he plays.

Pops out of thin air like SBW out of contact
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Healthy senior players who haven't gotten into 23 over past 2 games?

Barry Daly, Adam Byrne and Hugh O'Sullivan.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Healthy senior players who haven't gotten into 23 over past 2 games?

Barry Daly, Adam Byrne and Hugh O'Sullivan.
We looked very deep in the back three at the start of the season given that we only sent two players to RWC19 [Rob Kearney and Jordan Larmour]. Nine players were listed in the senior squad as back three players [I've given their website positional listing below] and then Jimmy O'Brien also featured twice at fullback for us. It was always going to be a challenge to get enough minutes for them all, particularly as the restrictions around selecting James Lowe were lifted.

1. James Lowe - Wing/Fullback [11+0/5 tries | 880mins/64%]
2. Dave Kearney - Wing/Fullback [10+1/9tries | 744 mins/55%]
3. Jordan Larmour - Wing [7+0/0 tries | 526 mins/39%]
4. Hugo Keenan - Fullback [ 6+1/0 tries | 465 mins/34%]
5. Adam Byrne - Wing/Fullback [5+0/1 try |375 mins/27%]
6. Fergus McFadden - Wing/Centre [4+1/2 tries | 330mins/24%]
7. Rob Kearney - Fullback/Wing [3+5/1 try | 300 mins/22%]
8. Cian Kelleher - Wing/Fullback [3+3/3 tries | 295 mins/22%]
9. Barry Daly - Wing [0+0/0 tries / 0 mins/0%]

We've played 17 matches [1360 mins] thus far and outside of James Lowe and DK, nobody has seen over 50% of gametime.

Winger is a low physical impact position [comparatively], but by its nature is played by athletes with a higher proportion of fast-twitch muscle fibres – so they mightn't pick up wear and tear injuries like a forward or centre would, but they might [my supposition] have a greater incidence of injuring themselves. Maybe having such a deep back three corps and limiting game time has been a positive factor in the relatively few number of injuries we have picked up [with the exception of Barry Daly, most of the back three have been available for selection throughout the season], but I think a lot of that is just down to luck.

In terms of the wingers down the charts with gametime, I've been impressed by Kelleher [25]. He has had very limited time, but his numbers are sensational - 19 carries for 208m is almost 11m/carry! He is also credited with 9 clean breaks and 9 defenders beaten ... all off 19 carries. Hopefully he is a player who we can bring into the game more often in the second part of the season, because you need weapons in the back three. I see Ciaran Frawley and himself forming a perfect No22 and No23 combination – Frawley as the inside back cover who can play No10 and No12 and who has an outstanding kicking game, Kelleher as the outside back cover who can offer serious pop.

Adam Byrne [25] had a great season in 2016/17 [20 games/10 tries], then a quiet season in 2017-18 [14 games/1 try], then a good season in 2018-19 [14 games/6 tries], and is having a quiet season again [5 games/1 try]. His positive points of difference are size, aerial ability and offloading. He is a streaky player in terms of confidence though, and with so many back three players coming in and out of the team on a rotational basis, he's suffering for it.

Barry Daly [27] has missed the entire season thus far, and missed four months [September through December, inclusive] of last season. BD's points of difference are speed [link: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3258463 ] and finishing ability: when he starts, he scores. He has scored 17 tries in his 24 starts since making his debut. He's also a tall guy with regards to the aerial game - 191cm and 94kg.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Thanks Hugo, very interesting as always.

Dave K has scored 9 tries in 10 starts?! That's pretty sensational for someone who was always accused of not scoring enough tries!
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I've been massively impressed with Kelleher too.

He is absolutely jet heeled and we've used him well by getting him into space early.

Looking forward to what he can do tomorrow with JOB inside at 13, who's a good distributor.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

wixfjord wrote:I've been massively impressed with Kelleher too.

He is absolutely jet heeled and we've used him well by getting him into space early.

Looking forward to what he can do tomorrow with JOB inside at 13, who's a good distributor.
If you wait till tomorrow to see what he can do you'll have to find a highlights package somewhere :wink:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Daly and Byrne started on the wing last night for UCD.

Academy centre Gavin Mullin stared at 13 too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Adam Byrne to the prem?
Oisin Dowling to Connacht?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:Adam Byrne to the prem?
Oisin Dowling to Connacht?
Certainly one of those moves is likely to happen.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

“He definitely has a lot of physical potential,” Cullen says of Ryan Baird.

“You can see that when he makes that break up the sideline (against Ospreys), as a second row that’s an amazing bonus. But… he’s not going to get judged first and foremost on making 60-metre breaks.

“He is going to get judged on what he can do at the set-piece, scrum primarily – the nuts and bolts, first and foremost – the other bit is a bonus that can give you separation from what other players can do. You still have to perform your number one job spec.”

Of course, Baird was also put to work in the back row when he was coached by Leinster academy director Noel McNamara. But Cullen insists that ‘for now’ they are keen to see how he progresses with that job spec at lock.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

He’s almost guaranteed to be the starting second row alongside James Ryan in the 2023 World Cup, he’s a terrific player
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interested to see whether Tomane gets another contract for next year. He has been a revelation this season. Once again showed his improvement last night.

His long passing will always be limited, but he has improved and he's much more comfortable in the system now.

I would give him another year at least. COB has had a very mixed year and TOB seems more of a 13 to me.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

mildlyinterested wrote:“He definitely has a lot of physical potential,” Cullen says of Ryan Baird.

“You can see that when he makes that break up the sideline (against Ospreys), as a second row that’s an amazing bonus. But… he’s not going to get judged first and foremost on making 60-metre breaks.

“He is going to get judged on what he can do at the set-piece, scrum primarily – the nuts and bolts, first and foremost – the other bit is a bonus that can give you separation from what other players can do. You still have to perform your number one job spec.”

Of course, Baird was also put to work in the back row when he was coached by Leinster academy director Noel McNamara. But Cullen insists that ‘for now’ they are keen to see how he progresses with that job spec at lock.
I can see the attraction of putting him at 6. He’s “only” 6’6” which isnt that tall in the second row, and playing as a flanker would give him more opportunity to use his pace
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Pilotman123 wrote:He’s almost guaranteed to be the starting second row alongside James Ryan in the 2023 World Cup, he’s a terrific player
Ryan Baird will be that good he won't even need a 2nd row partner!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Not wanting to start up a new thread but still thought it was worth throwing up our most tried and trusted Pro 14 23 aka 'the other guys' who have got us to 13-0 this season before our potential banana skin trip to Bloemfontein.

15. H Keenan (age23) 8(starts)+1(sub)...625(mins)
14. D Kearney (30) 6+0...421
13. J O'Brien (23) 6+2....512 (Plus 2@15....160)
12. J Tomane (30) 8+0....586
11. J Lowe (27) 7+0....546
10. R Byrne (24) 7+0....509
9. J Gibson-Park (28) 8+4....591
8. M Deegan (23) 6+1....500 (Plus 3@6...240)
7. W Connors (23) 8+1....555 (plus 1@6....64)
6. J Murphy (25) 7+2....461 (Plus 1@5....80)
5. S Fardy (35) 9+0....653
4. R Molony (25) 6+5....544
3. M Bent (33) 9+1....543
2. R Kelleher (22) 6+0....328
1. P Dooley (25) 11+1....642

16. J Tracy (28) 4+6....386
17. M Milne (21) 0+8....169
18. A Porter (24) 3+0....183
19. D Toner (33) 7+0....522
20. C Doris (21) 6+2....507
21. L McGrath (27) 4+0....243
22. H Byrne (20) 3+6....318
23. R O'Loughlin (26) 5+0....432

That 23 have accounted for 72.5% of our league minutes ie 11,320 of a possible 15,600 minutes. Off the back of our impressive league form Dave Kearney and Ross Byrne have been able to force their way back into the Irish squad. Will Connors, Max Deegan, Caelan Doris and Ronan Kelleher have been selected in Irish squads for the first time with the latter three getting their first caps. Fair few other guys outside this 23 who have contributed significantly as well that would be outside the bracket of 'stars'.

Well done to all so far and indeed to the coaches who get on with business and don't bemoan their lack of access to certain players (aimed at no coach in particular...yeah right!) and prefer to get behind the players they have access to and can coach and improve. It might not be the best league in the world but if you use it right players can reap the rewards.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

You can actually see the benefit of getting consistent game time in the likes of Keenan, JOB & Dooley.

The first two are exciting talents who have hugely benefitted from RK and ROL being unavailable for various reasons.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:You can actually see the benefit of getting consistent game time in the likes of Keenan, JOB & Dooley.

The first two are exciting talents who have hugely benefitted from RK and ROL being unavailable for various reasons.
You can definitely add Connors & Murphy (and obviously Doris & Deegan) to those three and include McBride and Hugh Hogan as Coaches deserving of special credit
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Twist wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:“He definitely has a lot of physical potential,” Cullen says of Ryan Baird.

I can see the attraction of putting him at 6. He’s “only” 6’6” which isnt that tall in the second row, and playing as a flanker would give him more opportunity to use his pace
I don't believe he's 6'6 tbh. He looks more like 6'4. 6'5 Max.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Twist wrote:

I don't believe he's 6'6 tbh. He looks more like 6'4. 6'5 Max.
“He’s definitely six [foot] six [inches] perhaps even six-seven. I think he is taller than me but maybe I am shrinking.”
Said Leo.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!