Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by curates_egg »

Bath is a good side (and club) that is currently struggling.
Just like Toulouse had been until they rediscovered their mojo.
Just like we were when Wasps humiliated us.
Good clubs with good players and good coaches can rediscover their mojo.

On current form, you would think 5 points is realistic, but I would be happy with 4.
I wouldn't want to have to tackle what's-his-name.

*but this is the wrong thread
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

curates_egg wrote:Bath is a good side (and club) that is currently struggling.
Just like Toulouse had been until they rediscovered their mojo.
Just like we were when Wasps humiliated us.
Good clubs with good players and good coaches can rediscover their mojo.

On current form, you would think 5 points is realistic, but I would be happy with 4.
I wouldn't want to have to tackle what's-his-name.

*but this is the wrong thread
based on current form they are a poor side, especially given injuries.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Watched Bath vs Sale last night. It was an almighty slugfest, which coupled with the one day less turn around - and the fact that our frontliners have been on RnR since the NZ match - could give our pack a fitness advantage. Their number 8 Mercer was subbed in the second half and looked somewhat injured. I'd be surprised to see him lining out on Saturday. Their tackling was poor - they missed 30 out of 74 - see: http://www.espn.com/rugby/matchstats?ga ... gue=267979. If we get our act together, we should be able to put these guys to the sword and come away with five points. Here's hoping.....
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

New two-year extension to 2021 for Sexton
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

cormac wrote:New two-year extension to 2021 for Sexton
To my mind, Leinsters greatest every player. Delighted
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Meanwhile, Noel Reid could leave Leinster at the end of this season, with Leicester Tigers keen on the long-serving centre's services.

The Dubliner, who won one cap for Ireland against Argentina in 2014, is expected to start against Bath at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday in Robbie Henshaw's absence, but knows that he is down the pecking order when everyone is fit for the European champions.

Reid made his first senior appearance for the province in 2011 and has played 107 times for the first team.

Tigers, have a long history of recruiting from Leinster with Dominic Ryan the last player to make the move.

Now 28, Reid's versatility, passing game and senior experience make him attractive option for Geordan Murphy's side.

Another Leinster midfielder on the move in Tom Daly who is is set to join Connacht on loan until the end of the season.

The Carlow man has endured a torrid time with injuries in recent years and has fallen down the pecking order at his home province, playing twice off the bench this season.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/le ... 17916.html
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Meanwhile, Noel Reid could leave Leinster at the end of this season, with Leicester Tigers keen on the long-serving centre's services.

The Dubliner, who won one cap for Ireland against Argentina in 2014, is expected to start against Bath at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday in Robbie Henshaw's absence, but knows that he is down the pecking order when everyone is fit for the European champions.

Reid made his first senior appearance for the province in 2011 and has played 107 times for the first team.

Tigers, have a long history of recruiting from Leinster with Dominic Ryan the last player to make the move.

Now 28, Reid's versatility, passing game and senior experience make him attractive option for Geordan Murphy's side.

Another Leinster midfielder on the move in Tom Daly who is is set to join Connacht on loan until the end of the season.

The Carlow man has endured a torrid time with injuries in recent years and has fallen down the pecking order at his home province, playing twice off the bench this season.

Strange signing for Connacht as it's the back 3 they're royally stuck for
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Meanwhile, Noel Reid could leave Leinster at the end of this season, with Leicester Tigers keen on the long-serving centre's services.

Strange signing for Connacht as it's the back 3 they're royally stuck for
they'll take whatever they can get, like the rest of the provinces.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

at this stage i'd be surprised if Deegan was here next season.

seems to be absent from wider euro squad today and firmly behind Doris.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

The next player to go will be Van Der Flier to Munster, if rumors are to be believed. Seems extremely plausible also. Almost likely, in this era.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

COYBIB wrote:The next player to go will be Van Der Flier to Munster, if rumors are to be believed. Seems extremely plausible also. Almost likely, in this era.
Where did you hear that rumour? Would be an absolute disaster. He's getting his game in big games for Leinster and is established in the Ireland team/squad, would be a bizarre move.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

On the other hand I could understand Deegan leaving, albeit it would be regrettable as he has world-class potential.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Could we maybe cross those bridges, when we come to them? The speculations about who from the Leinster squad is going to be poached next are driving me nuts!!!!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

neiliog93 wrote:
COYBIB wrote:The next player to go will be Van Der Flier to Munster, if rumors are to be believed. Seems extremely plausible also. Almost likely, in this era.
Where did you hear that rumour? Would be an absolute disaster. He's getting his game in big games for Leinster and is established in the Ireland team/squad, would be a bizarre move.
I wouldn't put too much weight in it, like I said was only a rumor (and from memory I may have only seen it on here!), but I fear the IRFU are going to step up their player movement big time. At 21 or 22 Joey Carbery had won a European Cup and a league title, playing in both finals, Pro12 young player of the year, had close to 40 appearances, a dozen or so international caps, had won a grand slam, beaten the All Blacks... the logic behind his move was that he wasn't getting the right sort of game time, which is why I get nervous when I see Leavy picked at 6 or 8, especially 8 with Conan, Deegan, Dorris etc. there.

IRFU meddling is getting to the point that it is, or should be, effecting our selection policy, which is unacceptable.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

riocard911 wrote:Could we maybe cross those bridges, when we come to them? The speculations about who from the Leinster squad is going to be poached next are driving me nuts!!!!
I suggest we burn those bridges to stop anyone else crossing them.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote:
I wouldn't put too much weight in it, like I said was only a rumor (and from memory I may have only seen it on here!),
So which is it?!

Conan was carrying an injury last week. It was a selection call. The wrong one as it turns out.

IRFU has always effected our selection policy for the league, just as it has done for all provinces. They don't interfere in Euro selections as far as we know.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

wixfjord wrote:
COYBIB wrote:
I wouldn't put too much weight in it, like I said was only a rumor (and from memory I may have only seen it on here!),
So which is it?!

Conan was carrying an injury last week. It was a selection call. The wrong one as it turns out.

IRFU has always effected our selection policy for the league, just as it has done for all provinces. They don't interfere in Euro selections as far as we know.
"if rumours are to be believed", "plausible", "almost likely", "only a rumour"

I'm not sure what you mean, both posts say exactly the same thing, that I'm speculating on a rumour.

The IRFU have never intefered with selection policy to the extent that who you select and where you play them, regardless of playing them, means they may be forced out of the province. That's a whole new precedent, selection and where to select them based on which squad players you're attempting to retain.
Last edited by COYBIB on December 16th, 2018, 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

D4surfer wrote:
riocard911 wrote:Could we maybe cross those bridges, when we come to them? The speculations about who from the Leinster squad is going to be poached next are driving me nuts!!!!
Nice one. I'll bring me pitchfork!!!! :happy clapper:
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

leinsterforever wrote:Conor O'Brien looked very strong going into contact against the Dragons. He's got a low-slung running style and sort of geared power, if that's the best way to describe it, that means he can knock people out of the way. Running lines, footwork and passing were very good too. Him looking so good is an excellent development, given 12 has been one of the problem positions, relatively speaking. Good to see
And now ROL puts in a MOTM performance in a big European game. 12's looking a lot better overall. It's hard to see where Tomane fits in when he gets back from injury
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote:
D4surfer wrote:
Nice one. I'll bring me pitchfork!!!! :happy clapper:
I guess you’re new to burning bridges if you’re bringing a pitchfork