Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'll miss Noel, really enjoyed watching him over the last few years and hope he finishes on a high. I'm still not sure if Leicester is the best place for him right now but at least they're likely to be staying up. Met him a couple of times and he's a lovely fella, wish him all the best.

I'm worried how DK will cope without him though!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

So no other senior players leaving?
rumours around all three kearneys but none look to be solid. Rob's central contract is finished post WC. So waiting to hear on him.
Could McFadden retire? I'd say Leo would want him around the squad with the mass player loss during the WC.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There was talk of one more signing coming in recently, I wonder if there's any truth in that.

If nobody else leaves we probably don't need anyone. Another LH might be one area to look at, particularly with Healy at the WC.
We're pretty well stocked with backs even with Reid leaving.

Still think Kelleher is a strange one. Can't see him improving us that much. Presumably he'll be playing a good bit of 15.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: Still think Kelleher is a strange one. Can't see him improving us that much. Presumably he'll be playing a good bit of 15.
I'm really curious about this, there are potentially loads of factors involved. Firstly, the future of the Kearneys and Ferg. Secondly, is there any chance Robbie moves back there? After yesterday and after watching Ireland during the 6N I hope he sticks at 12 but Rob's long term successor is very much up for grabs and by all accounts Robbie wants to be a fullback. Actually I thought he looked slimmer yesterday, and if I'm right then maybe that's a reaction to his struggles against England. Thirdly, do we see Larmour as a long term 15? I had thought we would but the more I see him the more I think he's suited to the wing. It's not so much the basics, it's more the way he kills space by trying to do too much. Lastly, what do we do with the other centres we have? If COB is second choice 12 then does one of Tomane or ROL get pushed to the wing?

One injury or departure makes things a lot clearer tbf.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

By all what accounts though? Robbie spent a year converted to full back due to injury and retirement. His last season for Connacht he was mostly a 13 with Aki at 12 (13 was his main position until then IIRC). Ask a young player and they will tell you they want to play wherever.. How many positions were Luke Fitzgerald's preferred one when the papers asked him?

He's had two international matches at 15, both forgettable at best. Crazy selection..
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Get what you are saying about Larmour, he's better mostly in tight spaces. Now Carbery....
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:By all what accounts though? Robbie spent a year converted to full back due to injury and retirement. His last season for Connacht he was mostly a 13 with Aki at 12 (13 was his main position until then IIRC). Ask a young player and they will tell you they want to play wherever.. How many positions were Luke Fitzgerald's preferred one when the papers asked him?

He's had two international matches at 15, both forgettable at best. Crazy selection..
Not sure why the positions he's previously been selected in would impact where he WANTS to play. He's said it himself and BOD said it before the England game that that's where he'd love to play.

Pretty sure Luke only had one preferred position and that was fullback.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Sorry to see Noel go. I have to admit I wasn't a huge fan but he's won me over this season with his ability. Leicester have got a good player. I hope he has a lot success there.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Cian Healy's contract status post WC has yet to be confirmed also.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:By all what accounts though? Robbie spent a year converted to full back due to injury and retirement. His last season for Connacht he was mostly a 13 with Aki at 12 (13 was his main position until then IIRC). Ask a young player and they will tell you they want to play wherever.. How many positions were Luke Fitzgerald's preferred one when the papers asked him?

Not sure why the positions he's previously been selected in would impact where he WANTS to play. He's said it himself and BOD said it before the England game that that's where he'd love to play.

Nope. Luke said at different times that he wanted to be a centre. He was compared to Robbie (I've always dreamed of playing for [insert new club name here]) Keane at the time. Henshaw has said he saw himself as a centre and you can see why: it's where he started playing, his most successful season at Connacht was as a centre (OC), and since then all his successful seasons and all the medals and trophies have come at IC.

The real reason I question how seriously you should take a quote from x player saying they want to play in y position is that we have plenty of experience of it being the result of leading questions and an agenda on the part of the questioners: (getting BOD out of the 13 shirt - too old. Getting Kearney out of the 15 - too....Kearney?).

Also, I'm not really sure that he would be that great a fullback. We'd miss his tackling and his skills and power in traffic and gain his not wonderfully great ability in wide open spaces and, well, I'm sure his positional play and fielding would improve as he's a fantastic player but it would be a work on. Quite a bit to work on.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

Nope. Luke said at different times that he wanted to be a centre. He was compared to Robbie (I've always dreamed of playing for [insert new club name here]) Keane at the time. Henshaw has said he saw himself as a centre and you can see why: it's where he started playing, his most successful season at Connacht was as a centre (OC), and since then all his successful seasons and all the medals and trophies have come at IC.

The real reason I question how seriously you should take a quote from x player saying they want to play in y position is that we have plenty of experience of it being the result of leading questions and an agenda on the part of the questioners: (getting BOD out of the 13 shirt - too old. Getting Kearney out of the 15 - too....Kearney?).

Also, I'm not really sure that he would be that great a fullback. We'd miss his tackling and his skills and power in traffic and gain his not wonderfully great ability in wide open spaces and, well, I'm sure his positional play and fielding would improve as he's a fantastic player but it would be a work on. Quite a bit to work on.
Totally agree. Writing articles about player playing preferences when the original quote is in response to a leading question is nothing other a space filler and certainly no indication of the reality.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Adam Byrne out for the season
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

bluemagic wrote:Adam Byrne out for the season
I think it’s only for this season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Possible Leinster Squad next season?

LH Prop
Cian Healy(31) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2016
Ed Byrne(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Peter Dooley(25) - Signed contract in 2018

Michael Milne(20) - Academy Yr 2

TH Prop
Michael Bent(33) - Signed contract in 2018
Tadhg Furlong(26) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2018
Andrew Porter(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Vakh Abdaladze(23) - Signed contact in 2018

Jack Aungier(20) - Academy Yr 3
Tom Clarkson(19) - Academy Yr 1

Hooker
Sean Cronin(33) - Signed contract in 2018
James Tracy(28) - Signed contract in 2018
Bryan Byrne(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Ronan Kelleher(21) - Signed contract in 2019

Dan Sheehan(21) - Academy Yr 2
John McKee(19) - Academy Yr 1

Lock
Scott Fardy(35) - Signed 1 yr contract in 2019
Devin Toner(33) - Signed central 3yr contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Molony(25) - Signed contract in 2018
James Ryan(23) - Signed contract in 2017

Jack Dunne(20) - Academy Yr 2
Ryan Baird(20) - Academy Yr 2
Charlie Ryan(20) - Academy Yr 1

Backrow
Rhys Ruddock(28) - Signed contract in 2018
Jack Conan(27) - Signed contract in 2017
Josh Van Der Flier(26) - Signed contract in 2018
Dan Leavy(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Josh Murphy(24) - Signed contract in 2018
Will Connors(23) - Signed contract in 2018
Max Deegan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Caelan Doris(21) - Signed contract in 2018

Oisin Dowling(22) - Academy Yr 3
Scott Penny(20) - Academy Yr 2
Martin Moloney(20) - Academy Yr 1

Scrumhalf
Jamie Gibson Park(27) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016
Luke McGrath(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Hugh O'Sullivan(21) - Signed contract in 2019

Patrick Patterson(20) - Academy Yr 2
Cormac Foley(19) - Academy Yr 1

Outhalf
Jonathan Sexton(34) - Signed central 2 yr contract in 2019
Ross Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Ciaran Frawley(21) - Signed contract in 2019

Harry Byrne(20) - Academy Yr 2
David Hawkshaw(20) - Academy Yr 2

Centre
Joe Tomane(29) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2018
Robbie Henshaw(26) - Signed 3yr central contract in 2019
Rory O'Loughlin(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Garry Ringrose(24) - Signed contract in 2018
Conor O'Brien(23) - Signed contract in 2019
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - Signed contract in 2019

Gavin Mullin(21) - Academy Yr 3
Tommy O'Brien(21) - Academy Yr 3
Liam Turner(20) - Academy Yr 1

Back Three
Fergus McFadden(33) - Signed contract in 2018
Dave Kearney(30) - Signed contract in 2018
James Lowe(27) - Signed 3yr contract in 2017
Barry Daly(27) - Signed contract in 2017
Adam Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Cian Kelleher(25) - Signed contract in 2019
Hugo Keenan(23) - Signed contract in 2019
Jordan Larmour(22) - Signed contract in 2018
Jack Kelly(21) - Signed contract in 2019

Michael Silvester(21) - Academy Yr 2
Aaron O'Sullivan(19) - Academy Yr 2
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

Jamison Gibson-Parks 3 years are up at the end of June so our 3 into 2 problem will disappear then.
Also means he is a possibility for the world cup ( not a big possibility admittedly)
James Lowe signed for us in March 2017 so should be Irish qualified next year 2020
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

odyboody wrote:Jamison Gibson-Parks 3 years are up at the end of June so our 3 into 2 problem will disappear then.
Also means he is a possibility for the world cup ( not a big possibility admittedly)
James Lowe signed for us in March 2017 so should be Irish qualified next year 2020
Lowe only arrived November 2017. So he wont be IQ until 20/21 season. Realistically the earliest we would see him in green is 2021 (assuming he's still here)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

when does the clock start when he signed for us on 6th march, when he arrived in the country or when he played his first match
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

odyboody wrote:when does the clock start when he signed for us on 6th march, when he arrived in the country or when he played his first match
when he arrived in country.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Kearney has given no indication that he is considering retirement in the summer of 2020.

“Discussions have started with the IRFU,” said Kearney today. “They’re slow, they’re progressing a little bit, but I’m not in a huge rush.

https://www.the42.ie/rob-kearney-contra ... /#comments
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

odyboody wrote:Jamison Gibson-Parks 3 years are up at the end of June so our 3 into 2 problem will disappear then.
Could he capped during the 6Ns.
Given the likely toll as a result of the RWC I wouldn't rule it out.
Scrub that.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.