Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by wixfjord »

Could be a big ‘moving season’ coming up for a few guys.
The likes of Vakh, R. Kelleher, Connors, Dunne should all get a good bit of game time in the league.

Then the likes of COB, HOS, Doris, Frawley who are a level up could all find themselves pushing onto Euro benches.

That’s what we really need now, the next wave of guys pushing on and giving us depth.

Our during RWC squad could actually be quite strong. Injury permitting a first day 23 could be

Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Deegan, Connors, Doris, JGP, Byrne, Lowe, COB, ROL, Byrne, DK
Byrne, Dooley, Vakh, Dunne, Penny, Frawley, Tomane

That’s much less ‘bare bones’ than previous years imo. Plenty of experience there to guide younger lads through.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote:Could be a big ‘moving season’ coming up for a few guys.
The likes of Vakh, R. Kelleher, Connors, Dunne should all get a good bit of game time in the league.

Then the likes of COB, HOS, Doris, Frawley who are a level up could all find themselves pushing onto Euro benches.

That’s what we really need now, the next wave of guys pushing on and giving us depth.

Our during RWC squad could actually be quite strong. Injury permitting a first day 23 could be

Byrne, Tracy, Bent, Fardy, Molony, Deegan, Connors, Doris, JGP, Byrne, Lowe, COB, ROL, Byrne, DK

That’s much less ‘bare bones’ than previous years imo. Plenty of experience there to guide younger lads through.
Frawley or Keenan at 15 ahead of DK, for me. And Barry Daly starting on the right wing. I'd like to see Jimmy O'Brien make it into the 23 ahead of Tomane as well.

Deegan could get itchy feet if they continue to not select him in his best position.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Doris to 6 next season, Deegan at 8.

rather see JOB at 15 than Frawley/Keenan.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

leinsterforever wrote:

Frawley or Keenan at 15 ahead of DK, for me. And Barry Daly starting on the right wing. I'd like to see Jimmy O'Brien make it into the 23 ahead of Tomane as well.

Deegan could get itchy feet if they continue to not select him in his best position.

Why would you not select DK?
leinsterforever
Mullet

the spoofer wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:

Why would you not select DK?
Not enough of a playmaker. I think if possible it's better to have someone with vision and creativity who'll pass to support players when it's on. Jared Payne brought an extra dimension to Ireland's attack when he played fullback. Frawley would read the game like an outhalf, and Keenan played outhalf in 7s and has a very good passing game.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'm really oldschool and want my FB to be a rock. Tackle, secure, catch and kick. My favourite Irish full back of all time was Girve for those very reasons.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Seems that Rob Kearney has signed a one-year extension to his current deal
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever
Mullet

the spoofer wrote:I'm really oldschool and want my FB to be a rock. Tackle, secure, catch and kick. My favourite Irish full back of all time was Girve for those very reasons.
Sure, but is there any reason Frawley can't do that? He's a good tackler and a good kicker of the ball. We haven't seen quite enough of him to see how reliable he is positionally and under the high ball.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Frawley will need to start to specialize on his position soon IMO
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

the spoofer wrote:I'm really oldschool and want my FB to be a rock. Tackle, secure, catch and kick. My favourite Irish full back of all time was Girve for those very reasons.
I wonder does Oldschool realize that. :shock:
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Kearney has been generally poor when playing 15 in the league, in sharp contrast with a series of really solid showings on the wing. I'd prefer we developed O'Brien or Frawley there. I think the Kelleher signing could be to get more depth at fullback because we don't need him on the wing, while at fullback we only really have Kearney and Larmour as serious options. Strange signing overall though. I think Frawley should focus there, there are two Byrnes at 10 and Conor O'Brien will surely be playing 12 for most games.

I'd prefer seeing Deegan at 8 but either way I don't think he's likely to leave, with Leavy out for the foreseeable future he's likely to be in the first choice 23 next season.

Penny is someone who's development can and is being accelerated, I'd have him ahead of Connors next year.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

leinster23 wrote:Kearney has been generally poor when playing 15 in the league, in sharp contrast with a series of really solid showings on the wing. I'd prefer we developed O'Brien or Frawley there. I think the Kelleher signing could be to get more depth at fullback because we don't need him on the wing, while at fullback we only really have Kearney and Larmour as serious options. Strange signing overall though. I think Frawley should focus there, there are two Byrnes at 10 and Conor O'Brien will surely be playing 12 for most games.

I'd prefer seeing Deegan at 8 but either way I don't think he's likely to leave, with Leavy out for the foreseeable future he's likely to be in the first choice 23 next season.

Penny is someone who's development can and is being accelerated, I'd have him ahead of Connors next year.
Agree with a lot of that. The Kelleher resigning I don't quite understand and am waiting to be convinced of its merits. Penney was namechecked after the Pro 14 final by Lancaster as potentially the next SO'B.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We're well stocked at outside back during the RWC. Might only be missing Kearney and Larmour.

McFadden's ban means he probably won't be considered. K2 could be tried in a warm up but he's an outsider for the squad.

The Doris-Deegan axis is well established at this stage. Being able to call on 2 Oz internationals and 2 NZ projects makes it easy to be strong.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I'd gladly settle for another year of Rob Kearney.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:
I wonder does Oldschool realize that. :shock:
Effing hell a closet oldschool, who'd have guessed?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinster23 wrote:
Harsh on Connors. All he did wrong was get injured in preseason when he was looking good.

It didn't help us keep Jordi when fans looked beyong him so quickly when he was injured.

We lost Leavy for the year and both Murphy and SOB. Vdf is only back from injury and will be gone for the RWC. Penny returns late from JWC but the late start probably balances that.

Whatever surplus of riches we once had at 7, we are now tight and with no experience in depth. We're closer to worrying about fielding a team next season than struggling to manage a player excess.

Connors and Penny have 11 caps between them. Leinster just promoted their U20s (normally sub academy) 7 to the senior squad. The pipeline has been drained, this is all we get for the next while.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Pleasantly surprised to get Rob Kearney for more one season. Good work by the IRFU
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote:Pleasantly surprised to get Rob Kearney for more one season. Good work by the IRFU
I'm glad Rob signed too. He would have been able to get 2 years elsewhere and he could have happily called it a day after the RWC and gone out on a high.

Farrell will have a lot on his plate and Rob is a key player with a key role defensively.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
leinster23 wrote:
Harsh on Connors. All he did wrong was get injured in preseason when he was looking good.

It didn't help us keep Jordi when fans looked beyong him so quickly when he was injured.

We lost Leavy for the year and both Murphy and SOB. Vdf is only back from injury and will be gone for the RWC. Penny returns late from JWC but the late start probably balances that.

Whatever surplus of riches we once had at 7, we are now tight and with no experience in depth. We're closer to worrying about fielding a team next season than struggling to manage a player excess.

Connors and Penny have 11 caps between them. Leinster just promoted their U20s (normally sub academy) 7 to the senior squad. The pipeline has been drained, this is all we get for the next while.
Jordi leaving had nothing to do with the fans overlooking him.

Penny isn't going to the JWC.