Treviso v Leinster 27th Oct

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Treviso v Leinster 27th Oct

Post by neiliog93 »

Should add that young Conor O'Brien was outstanding when he came on, capping his performance with a well taken try on a wicked line. Noel Reid did his classy thang that he does against weaker teams.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

What was the Kearney injury? I couldn't watch the game unfortunately
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

CiaranIrl wrote:What was the Kearney injury? I couldn't watch the game unfortunately
Hard to tell. He was running the ball back off one of their kicks, cut inside, was tackled and went to ground. It's possible he got a knock to the head. In real time one wouldn't have immediately surmised he'd injured himself. In the replay it was difficult to make out what the exact cause was. Fact is, he stayed down for a minute or two before leaving the field of play. Could have been precautionary. Could be serious. We'll have to wait for the press release to find out more, I guess.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

CiaranIrl wrote:What was the Kearney injury? I couldn't watch the game unfortunately
Couldn't really see from the coverage. Hadn't even realised he'd gone off until Conor O'Brien went over for his try.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Must say I was impressed with McGrath. He seemed to be causing the Treviso TH all sorts of problems. Leavy showed some great handling in poor conditions numerous times. Deegan worked well in the Tight but was a little dissappointed that he seemed to look for contact rather than space (I may be a little harsh). 123 was very impressive with his clearence kicking and his passing from the base was pretty sharp. I thought Rob's injury looked minor enough (hope that's the case anyway).

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Cianostays wrote:Very professional performance in the end. The pack in particular played like they'd a point to prove. Kearney picking up an injury seemed to be the only negative. Even Tomane got a try [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]. Happy Days.

Pretty sure he lost control of the ball.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Watching live I thought his ankles got trapped as he went to ground but it was very hard to see.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Really impressive, ruthless performance. Absolute first rate professionalism. Tough weather conditions, on the road, heading into an international series, not a prestige opponent ... and the squad selected went out, gave their full concentration to the job in hand and turned in a diligent 80 minute effort that completely shut down a gamey Treviso side.

Leavy very close to my MOTM, but edged out by JGP. He's in cracking form. Happy to see AB+ get a try on his return, and very happy to see Conor O'Brien come into the team in the second half and look very much at home. He's a real talent and somebody we should be looking to get into double figures of appearances [6 more games] before the end of the season. Good to see Hughie getting a run out for the last ten minutes in poor weather conditions but favourable match conditions ... pretty much ideal experience for him. Also a fan of Reider taking on the responsibility of covering outhalf off the bench, for a number of reasons I've gone into before.

It's nice and surprising to see Sean O'Brien turn out for us for five weeks in a row, averaging over 50 minutes/game. It's a hell of a long time since that happened.

I was happy with every element of the selection when it was announced and it panned out well. Treviso's tackling was really, really good for significant periods of the game, but we retained composure with the ball, moved ourselves into position on the pitch and then made our superiority count on the board.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Peg Leg wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Very professional performance in the end. The pack in particular played like they'd a point to prove. Kearney picking up an injury seemed to be the only negative. Even Tomane got a try [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]. Happy Days.

Just watched it on TG4 and Tomane did not lose control of the ball.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Treviso v Leinster 27th Oct

Post by artaneboy »

Before the match I saw this as being a very tough one- even with a strong selection. I also saw it as being a crucial one for both the wings- for slightly different readings. Tomane is apparently desperately short of confidence in both attack and defence; Byrne has long underwhelmed in the latter and looked to have lost his mojo in attack in the last year.

In the end we controlled- rather than dominated the game. Against a game Treviso that was deeply satisfying.

Both Adam and Joe scored a try a piece; each of them a bit ‘random’ in the creation. But good for them both. They played well otherwise too. This might be a watershed for them both.

Otherwise I thought they Seanie was still a little off- a couple of silly penos and dropped balls. But we need to be patient with him as the dividends are so valuable when he goes click- which he undoubtedly will, once he stays free of injury.

In the wake of the Toulouse disappointment, I’ve deliberately refrained from comment on the scrum half choice- everyone knows my position anyway. I would not hammer Luke for the interception: these things happen.

I’d rather be positive on the choices available to us. So, albeit against a much lesser team, JGP showed what he offers from the breakdown base: fast and accurate passing. And his oft criticised tactical kicking was again generally excellent.

Traditionally the argument has been that both players strengths and weaknesses contrast: neither supposedly was the complete player. That’s no longer the case for Jamie on his flaws: his all round game is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

cormac wrote:
Couldn't really see from the coverage. Hadn't even realised he'd gone off until Conor O'Brien went over for his try.
He left the pitch using his jersey as a sling for his right arm.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

D4surfer wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Just watched it on TG4 and Tomane did not lose control of the ball.
Happy days, an occasion where its good to wrong. I hate when those ones are awarded in error.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JohnB wrote:
cormac wrote:
He left the pitch using his jersey as a sling for his right arm.
Ballix thought he looked great and was a big reason they never crossed the line
Daniel Sullivan
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

He left the pitch using his jersey as a sling for his right arm.[/quote]Ballix thought he looked great and was a big reason they never crossed the line[/quote]

Yeah, his positioning throughout the game for fielding and running back their kicks was first class. He stayed down a long time holding his his right wrist and forearm.he walked off directly below us which was when we saw his arm protected by his jersey as he left the pitch.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

JohnB wrote:He left the pitch using his jersey as a sling for his right arm.
Ballix thought he looked great and was a big reason they never crossed the line[/quote]

Yeah, his positioning throughout the game for fielding and running back their kicks was first class. He stayed down a long time holding his his right wrist and forearm.he walked off directly below us which was when we saw his arm protected by his jersey as he left the pitch.[/quote]
He seemed to get a sidelong bang from their hooker on his way down just after being tackled.
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We played well, in control at all times, but jaysus Treviso were poor.
If RKs injury is not too bad then he gets a rest and comes back for us in the Heino back to backs.
JCB asking his own questions now. Plumber have a some big calls to make for the Bath games.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This was an excellent League display. Recognising we had 11 changes and this group had never played together, this was a display to please the Coaches. Certainly Treviso were missing a few but they have improved significantly under Crowley and have some depth in their Squad.

For us the big performances came from Leavy - probably earning the No 7 jersey against Arg, JGP - keeping the pressure on selection for Bath games, James Ryan - what an extraordinary engine, Henshaw - his movement to 15 to replace RK may be indicative, and Conor O'Brien - his polished performance at 12 suggested we could see more in that position.

Ross Byrne, Jack McGrath, Tadgh Furlong, James Treacy and Fardy all performed up to par. Both wingers did good things and also made sloopy mistakes. Byrne contributed more effectively but Tomane looked like he didn't enjoy himself and even his try didn't bring a smile. RO'L was quiet and efficient and Rhys had a couple of unforced errors. Porter was strong and took his try well and the two Byrne forwards and Molony all looked comfortable and full of energy.

Very happy overall. A banana skin avoided and back on the horse, casting an eye on Toulouse's away win which lifts them to 3rd in the Top14 and wondering have we allowed the giant to wake.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote:This was an excellent League display. Recognising we had 11 changes and this group had never played together, this was a display to please the Coaches. Certainly Treviso were missing a few but they have improved significantly under Crowley and have some depth in their Squad.

For us the big performances came from Leavy - probably earning the No 7 jersey against Arg, JGP - keeping the pressure on selection for Bath games, James Ryan - what an extraordinary engine, Henshaw - his movement to 15 to replace RK may be indicative, and Conor O'Brien - his polished performance at 12 suggested we could see more in that position.

Ross Byrne, Jack McGrath, Tadgh Furlong, James Treacy and Fardy all performed up to par. Both wingers did good things and also made sloopy mistakes. Byrne contributed more effectively but Tomane looked like he didn't enjoy himself and even his try didn't bring a smile. RO'L was quiet and efficient and Rhys had a couple of unforced errors. Porter was strong and took his try well and the two Byrne forwards and Molony all looked comfortable and full of energy.

Very happy overall. A banana skin avoided and back on the horse, casting an eye on Toulouse's away win which lifts them to 3rd in the Top14 and wondering have we allowed the giant to wake.
Your Tomane comment is spot on. Mentioned this on a private group apropos body language, but didn't post here because I didn't buy into that when the same conversation was being had Re: Plumber.
The level of exuberance and camaraderie shown when every other try was scored made the lack of same for JT interesting. Wild speculation alert: I suspect that they appreciate he may wish to take a moment of prayer and give a bit of space.
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Peg Leg wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:This was an excellent League display. Recognising we had 11 changes and this group had never played together, this was a display to please the Coaches. Certainly Treviso were missing a few but they have improved significantly under Crowley and have some depth in their Squad.

Your Tomane comment is spot on. Mentioned this on a private group apropos body language, but didn't post here because I didn't buy into that when the same conversation was being had Re: Plumber.
The level of exuberance and camaraderie shown when every other try was scored made the lack of same for JT interesting. Wild speculation alert: I suspect that they appreciate he may wish to take a moment of prayer and give a bit of space.
Yes, noticed the relative lack of congratulations offered to Joe on scoring his try; which despite my first viewing fears on the grounding, he actually took very well.

I’d put that failure to celebrate on his teammates not Joe. In mitigation it was late in the game and the contest was well over- but whatever the personal relationships, the team has a collective duty to support players that are struggling. A few more making an effort to run over and clap his back would have improved the optics.

Oh- and let’s stop this snidely chipping at his religion. It’s juvenile- at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I didn't take the comment as being sniping at all tbh.
Dont Panic!