Treviso v Leinster 27th Oct

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: Treviso v Leinster 27th Oct

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Most has been said.

All I will say... I can add commentator to "things I don't like about Eddie O'Sullivan" list.

He was dull and uninsightful. I know he has a certain way of speaking. But the least he could do is try and pretend he was interested to be there.

Any time he had to mention something Leinster related (and with 70% possession, it was a lot) he seemed at loath to say anything positive.

I don't think this is just Leinster related either, there seems to be a lot of bitterness there towards Irish Rugby, and it comes across
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
I don't think this is just Leinster related either, there seems to be a lot of bitterness there towards Irish Rugby, and it comes across
Not feelin it. I must be naive or tone deaf.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Have to say I think Eddie has a huge negative on Leinster. It comes across anytime he speaks about Leinster, if we lead at half time, it could "always be better" and he seems to take pleasure in when we are been beaten.

In one of his appearances on Against The Head on RTE, at the start of last season, he once famously made out that Leinster having an incredibly strong acadmey was not a good thing for Leinster Rugby. He felt we could be in serious trouble in relying on the academy players, as there was a huge gap in experience from our established players. Most other commentators have taken a positive view on the academy, and in applauding Leinster for developing players and not been afraid to use the young players in key matches. But not our Eddie , he could only see a thriving academy as a negative, instead preferring other Provinces modus operundi of buying in whatever you need.

It was Eddie's Alan Hansen moment - "you will never win anything with all those kids".
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

If it were up to Eddie O'Sullivan, he'd convert Leinster to Americanball he talks about it so f%~king much in his interviews.

Doesn't matter what it is:

'Plays' - compares them to American Football
'Concussions' - American Football comparisons (On Off the Ball where all others had to point out while there are similarities, they're not nearly as bad and it's still apples and oranges)
'Academies/Draft' - American Football

His personal experiences, 'When I was coaching in the States, [Insert American f%~king Football comparison]'

Eddie is a pundit that I rate so low I really don't care about what he has to say about Leinster.

My only concern is there will always be some idiot that actually rates his opinion.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'd say there are a fair few of us idiots about.

Eddie's style (or his personality) might not be to everyone's taste but he knows a sh1tload more about rugby than me and probably almost everyone on here. He has coached at the highest level (OK not for a few years) but you get the impression that he still does serious analysis off his own bat.

As regards bias I don't get that from him much at all. (I'm sure he has an unconscious bias as we all do) Far more bias on here. Sometimes people hunt through articles looking for the smallest hint of anything but gushing praise for Leinster and quote it on here as bias.

I can understand someone saying that they don't like him as a pundit but questioning his knowledge or bias I don't get.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:I'd say there are a fair few of us idiots about.

Eddie's style (or his personality) might not be to everyone's taste but he knows a sh1tload more about rugby than me and probably almost everyone on here. He has coached at the highest level (OK not for a few years) but you get the impression that he still does serious analysis off his own bat.

As regards bias I don't get that from him much at all. (I'm sure he has an unconscious bias as we all do) Far more bias on here. Sometimes people hunt through articles looking for the smallest hint of anything but gushing praise for Leinster and quote it on here as bias.

I can understand someone saying that they don't like him as a pundit but questioning his knowledge or bias I don't get.
+1
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think on the media he does a media job, and it's often not related to his rugby knowledge at all. So for example on BBC when he was pundit there he would always join in the chorous of "Ulster was robbed"* when it was plainly obvious they weren't/it was or wasn't a penalty or whatever. A bit like some of the ex-players when covering their own province. Except they are driven by passion and bias and often on mature reflection change their opinion. Some of what he does then is sh!t stirring, creating a story where there isn't one, fitting in with the pitchfork and torches bearing crowd, driving the narrative of the show.

Sure he knows an awful lot about rugby, but he doesn't let it stop him talk a whole load of shite when the occasion demands it. It's just a speaking gig for him. For cash. That's all. He may be right or he may not. But I can't take him seriously when he doesn't take it seriously himself.

*based entirely on the not necessarily representative sample of all the times I watched him on there, and I used to watch BBC coverage of pro12.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah I'd put most of that down to his "style" and I listen to him on off the ball which probably makes me unfit to even be an idiot in fairness.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

+1. He’s sometimes annoying- plenty of repeated cliches and painful metaphors. But he does know his stuff and I cannot see any anti-Leinster bias.

We have to accept not everyone shares our blue-focused world view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

+1 but I was shocked at him saying there was no offside in open play and essentially say that Munster were robbed at the Aviva. Apart from that I've always thought he was a really good pundit and think his critical nature is just because coaches tend to analyse flaws, not due to bias.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

That was a howler ok. What was he thinking? Or maybe he wasn't. I've said worse
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

artaneboy wrote:He’s sometimes annoying- plenty of repeated cliches and painful metaphors.
Yeah I can see how that would any people. For me it's part of his charm. I love all his little cliches. Or most of them.

But then again I love Mark Robson and his corny one liners.

"Epi Taione. He's a centre but he's built like a shopping centre"

"The cappuccino cowboys are in frothy form tonight"
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

johng wrote:
artaneboy wrote:He’s sometimes annoying- plenty of repeated cliches and painful metaphors.
Yeah I can see how that would any people. For me it's part of his charm. I love all his little cliches. Or most of them.

But then again I love Mark Robson and his corny one liners.

"Epi Taione. He's a centre but he's built like a shopping centre"

"The cappuccino cowboys are in frothy form tonight"
Personally, any time I hear "taking them to the woodshed" it makes my day!!!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think on the media he does a media job, and it's often not related to his rugby knowledge at all. So for example on BBC when he was pundit there he would always join in the chorous of "Ulster was robbed"* when it was plainly obvious they weren't/it was or wasn't a penalty or whatever. A bit like some of the ex-players when covering their own province. Except they are driven by passion and bias and often on mature reflection change their opinion. Some of what he does then is sh!t stirring, creating a story where there isn't one, fitting in with the pitchfork and torches bearing crowd, driving the narrative of the show.

Sure he knows an awful lot about rugby, but he doesn't let it stop him talk a whole load of shite when the occasion demands it. It's just a speaking gig for him. For cash. That's all. He may be right or he may not. But I can't take him seriously when he doesn't take it seriously himself.

*based entirely on the not necessarily representative sample of all the times I watched him on there, and I used to watch BBC coverage of pro12.
Was it Eddie that started the calls for Joey to move to another province to play 10? Cause on Off The Ball yesterday he insinuated that Larmour should do likewise since he's behind Kearney, but then covered his tracks saying that he's not saying it should happen.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote:

+1
EOS like most decent coaches knows a fair bit about rugby however he had a few glaring deficiencies.
Gatland was a far superior coach and the IRFU dumped him.
His bias towards Munster players was evident.
So was he biased and had he weaknesses?
Yes he did, he's human after so why is it wrong to question him on his knowledge and bias?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Laighin Break wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I think on the media he does a media job, and it's often not related to his rugby knowledge at all. So for example on BBC when he was pundit there he would always join in the chorous of "Ulster was robbed"* when it was plainly obvious they weren't/it was or wasn't a penalty or whatever. A bit like some of the ex-players when covering their own province. Except they are driven by passion and bias and often on mature reflection change their opinion. Some of what he does then is sh!t stirring, creating a story where there isn't one, fitting in with the pitchfork and torches bearing crowd, driving the narrative of the show.

Was it Eddie that started the calls for Joey to move to another province to play 10? Cause on Off The Ball yesterday he insinuated that Larmour should do likewise since he's behind Kearney, but then covered his tracks saying that he's not saying it should happen.
One of the first anyway. Thing is, he was right. Joe will look at that and say "job begun". Successful start.

TBH I thought that Munster would succumb to typical Munster short termism "win now, win the next match" which has failed them so often in the recent past. I thought they'd bench him for Ketley in big matches if he didn't rock up as the finished article. Perhaps the cultural need to blame Ketley for their pack being completely overwhelmed by Racing (no shame in that) overcame this systemic failure over the last decade plus.

But its worked ou so far and it looks like a successful project for Uncle Joe and Ireland. If it keeps on this trajectory I'll be happy.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

I will reaffirm my view, Eddie O’Sullivan is biased against Leinster.

He also talks more shite than most commentators, and for one who was a top tier coach, he appears to not know much about the laws of the game. He comes across as a bitter man

I would not let him even near an academy team