Jamie Heaslip

Re: Southern Kings Vs Leinster Nov 4th

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

DK injured?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

WTF was that kick off from Reid? Gives Kings a platform for the final play.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well that was a bit bonkers from start to finish
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

That was pretty awful stuff. For a game with so many tries it was actually quite dull. Littered with errors and not helped by being played between two reserve sides in an empty stadium that made the UCD Bowl look like the Maracana.
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

An unstructured and sloppy performance - again....against a poor team who played most of the game without the full compliment
of 15.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Kings had 4 yellow cards and yet we could have drawn at the end...
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Much and all as Like Noel Reid he is not a 10 at this level and never will be.he was ok at AILlevel with Tarf but that was a few years back and he has never progressed in that position in my opinion.that was painful to watch but at least we got the 5 points so job done
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Leoslovechild wrote:Much and all as Like Noel Reid he is not a 10 at this level and never will be.he was ok at AILlevel with Tarf but that was a few years back and he has never progressed in that position in my opinion.that was painful to watch but at least we got the 5 points so job done
Ridiculously harsh.

He was good today in very difficult circumstances.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Can anyone please explain the technique from the Leinster No 8s when the scrum is being set? They seem to crouch down and pull the second rows back towards them. I first noticed Jamie doing this but see Conan was doing it last night for Ireland and Deegan doing the same earlier for Leinster.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Hope the injuries picked up by O'Loughlin, Tomane and Dave Kearney aren't too serious. We're likely to be picking from a similar squad for the next game against the Ospreys. The last Nov international being against the USA means we're not likely to get many of the fringe players in the Ireland squad released while no-one who starts the New Zealand match is going to be released to play for us a mere six days later.

All-in-all it's been a very positive start to the season. We're nine points and two wins clear of Ulster at the top of Conference B, while it's 10pts back to the Scarlets.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

wixfjord wrote:
Leoslovechild wrote:Much and all as Like Noel Reid he is not a 10 at this level and never will be.he was ok at AILlevel with Tarf but that was a few years back and he has never progressed in that position in my opinion.that was painful to watch but at least we got the 5 points so job done
Ridiculously harsh.

I tend to agree with Leo .. ... I’m afraid Wixfjord’s assesment is far too complimentary ... Today’s game and level of opposition are about right for Reid ... and even then he struggled in parts....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

alanair wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Ridiculously harsh.

I tend to agree with Leo .. ... I’m afraid Wixfjord’s assesment is far too complimentary ... Today’s game and level of opposition are about right for Reid ... and even then he struggled in parts....
Specifically what did he struggle with?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

nc6000 wrote:Can anyone please explain the technique from the Leinster No 8s when the scrum is being set? They seem to crouch down and pull the second rows back towards them. I first noticed Jamie doing this but see Conan was doing it last night for Ireland and Deegan doing the same earlier for Leinster.
Perhaps the leaning back is to stop the front row collapsing before engagement. The hit on engagement perhaps just to lock it all up.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
nc6000 wrote:Can anyone please explain the technique from the Leinster No 8s when the scrum is being set? They seem to crouch down and pull the second rows back towards them. I first noticed Jamie doing this but see Conan was doing it last night for Ireland and Deegan doing the same earlier for Leinster.
Perhaps the leaning back is to stop the front row collapsing before engagement. The hit on engagement perhaps just to lock it all up.
2nd rows push the props forward before the scrum if they're doing it right. Props have to sit back to hold them, so they can easily have their feet too far forward and their weight on their heels. I often found it hard to get low enough if there was too much pressure from behind. The 8 is helping them rather than adding to the problem.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Serb wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Serb wrote: Where has this whole “use it” call come from? It’s not in the laws. Feels like a cop out for refs not having to give penalties.
Yes, it is in the laws - 19.26 (or 20.10 if you have the old law book)
Nice one, had a read through but missed it!
Yes, it’s in the laws- but for a situation where the scrum is STATIONARY and there’s an effective stalemate. Refs regularly use it when the scrum is moving forward- often quite quickly, but they fear it is disintegrating and they’ll have to make a decision. That’s not in the laws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Am I correct in saying we finished that game with this backline?

9) JGP 10) Reid
12) COB 13) Daly
11) Byrne 15) O'Sullivan 14) Frawley

For all our previous worries about the 12 shirt, we had 4 of them on the pitch there :lol: with another one gone off hamstrung

What happened to DK? Broadcast (which was generally terrible) seemed to miss it. Or was it tactical?

On replay, ROLs incident looks innocuous enough. Seemed to bang his knee rather than twist it. Hopefully not too bad. Lucky we've a bit of a break now because we dropped a few more players than we'd like.

Reid did fairly well all things considered. Kings seemed to target him and try cut off his passing options a lot forcing him to run in. A lot of those passes were on and he needed to back himself. But a very assured performance at 10
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

thought Daly was lining up at 12, but could be wrong.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:thought Daly was lining up at 12, but could be wrong.
Thats how it appeared to me as well.

At one point the camera went to the Irish bench and ROL had a bag of ice strapped to his knee and Tomane was having his upper thigh wrapped in clingfilm
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Am I correct in saying we finished that game with this backline?

9) JGP 10) Reid
12) COB 13) Daly

For all our previous worries about the 12 shirt, we had 4 of them on the pitch there :lol: with another one gone off hamstrung

What happened to DK? Broadcast (which was generally terrible) seemed to miss it. Or was it tactical?

On replay, ROLs incident looks innocuous enough. Seemed to bang his knee rather than twist it. Hopefully not too bad. Lucky we've a bit of a break now because we dropped a few more players than we'd like.

Reid did fairly well all things considered. Kings seemed to target him and try cut off his passing options a lot forcing him to run in. A lot of those passes were on and he needed to back himself. But a very assured performance at 10
Given the strength of the wind during the match it wasn't really a game to be attempting long cut-out passes so I'd give Reid a pass on that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

cormac wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:Am I correct in saying we finished that game with this backline?

9) JGP 10) Reid
12) COB 13) Daly

Given the strength of the wind during the match it wasn't really a game to be attempting long cut-out passes so I'd give Reid a pass on that.
Risky move in that wind :lol:
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick