Leinster - Joe Schmidt's legacy.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

molloyjh
Mullet

Re: Leinster - Joe Schmidt's legacy.

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:I think the Carbery move was stupid on all levels, except for Munster.
I would imagine Carbery would disagree. No way would he have had the game time he's had this season if he hadn't moved.

I know it's somewhat fashionable on here to blame Joe, Nucifora and/or the IRFU, but Joey has a mind of his own and made the conscious decision to leave to further his career. Joe presenting him with some facts about getting more game time at 10 isn't an issue. An inconvenient truth possibly, but not an issue. When an Irish squad member last decided to move province to further his career many on here took shots at Connacht fans for their response to the move. The 2 cases aren't wildly different. In fact they are more similar than not. It's more than somewhat hypocritical (and incredibly amusing to many) to see some Leinster fans throwing their toys out of their pram over it now when it no longer suits them for it to happen.

At the end of the day, what suits us is irrelevant. What suits Joe is somewhat irrelevant too. What suits Joey is what matters. And I can't for the life of me see how this move has been, or will be, anything other than positive for him. Especially when Murray gets back.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

molloyjh wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I think the Carbery move was stupid on all levels, except for Munster.
I would imagine Carbery would disagree. No way would he have had the game time he's had this season if he hadn't moved.

I know it's somewhat fashionable on here to blame Joe, Nucifora and/or the IRFU, but Joey has a mind of his own and made the conscious decision to leave to further his career. Joe presenting him with some facts about getting more game time at 10 isn't an issue. An inconvenient truth possibly, but not an issue. When an Irish squad member last decided to move province to further his career many on here took shots at Connacht fans for their response to the move. The 2 cases aren't wildly different. In fact they are more similar than not. It's more than somewhat hypocritical (and incredibly amusing to many) to see some Leinster fans throwing their toys out of their pram over it now when it no longer suits them for it to happen.

At the end of the day, what suits us is irrelevant. What suits Joe is somewhat irrelevant too. What suits Joey is what matters. And I can't for the life of me see how this move has been, or will be, anything other than positive for him. Especially when Murray gets back.
Henshaw was out of contract, Joey was not.

So yeah pretty different.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

molloyjh wrote:

Pretty good summary TBH.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

From a Leinster perspective there are two legs to Joe's legacy.
His direct legacy as Leinster coach was to raise expectations for success.
MOC would not have been dumped as quickly as he was if Joe hadn't shown us what was possible.
Lancaster indirectly falls into Joe's legacy in that he could see even at international the type of players Joe and Leinster were producing.
Joe's legacy to Leinster as Ireland's coach is to pick our players and in doing so give them back to us as better players. It's positive feedback loop.
Going forward if Joe leaves, the IRFU are going to have to find a high calibre replacement, there will be no going back to the Cork Con mafia days (it's not even a runner financially anymore) and thanks be to God for that.
And if you don't believe in God then believe in Joe.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BTW maybe Joe is going nowhere.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/irish-r ... own/337967

Joe getting some horse sense maybe?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: Henshaw was out of contract, Joey was not.

Slightly different...

I know professional sport is fickle, but people going completely sour on Schmidt after everything he has done for Leinster over one decision he was involved in is just more than I can comprehend and makes me a bit sad.

Serious inferiority complex frankly.

I am glad I don't live my life like that
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

mildlyinterested wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

Henshaw was out of contract, Joey was not.

Not really. That's nothing more than a technicality. The fundamentals are still that they are 2 cases of players making the decision to change province for their career development. That they wanted to move is far more important and relevant than their contract status. It's hardly the first time a player has ended a contract early after all. And like Connacht, they didn't own Robbie Henshaw and we have never owned Joey Carbery. These are people, not inanimate things that we can control. They can and will move to suit their needs. Sometimes that will involve breaking contracts. It'd be nice if we could respect their decisions without pissing all over them.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Slightly different...

I know professional sport is fickle, but people going completely sour on Schmidt after everything he has done for Leinster over one decision he was involved in is just more than I can comprehend and makes me a bit sad.

It seems to be a thing in Irish rugby. Pissing and moaning about how unfair our team gets treated. We see all provincial fans at it. Ulster have been to the fore a lot in recent years. Connacht fans over Henshaw. Munster fans over the number of their players in the Irish squad etc. So many fans love to play the poor mouth thing for some reason. The worst bit about it for me is the inherent hypocrisy in it when those same people paying poor mouth one day are blasting another province for it the next.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

Slightly different...

Don't start me on Jordi Murphy that guy can rot in hell...

Edit: [sarcasm]
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

COYBIB wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Joe: Mirror, how will Leinster fans remember me?
Mirror: That's still in your hands: Cardiff 2011 or Carbery 2018.
I don't know how much Joe could be blamed or take full responsibility for that. There is a deep seeded fear of Leinster in the IRFU and definitely a concentrated effort to prevent the province from getting too big. Remember, 90% of the national team fan base is the Leinster fan base (in terms of attendees at money spinning home games) and when self justification comes into it, it's important to keep Leinster down as much as possible, which is why there's so much meddling.

The province has long since outgrown the IRFU model and is the province most hindered by it. If Leinster opened up to private investment there'd be a line all the way down Simmonscourt Road to hand over the cheque book at the RDS. The thing that always confused me about the IRFU is that their justification is their need to fund the national game, but offloading the burden of having to fund the provinces would exponentially increase the funds available to fund grass roots rugby in the provinces which would arguably be a better use of resources. But when it comes to Leinster, self preservation from the IRFU is key.
:lol: :lol:
90% of national team base isnt Leinster base.
And Leinster hasnt outgrown IRFU model nor is hindered by it
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The Henshaw and Carbery situations are vastly different IMO.

Henshaw's contract was up and he wanted to come here, Connacht weren't guaranteed HC rugby every year, his girlfriend lived in Dubin etc etc. The IRFU didn't want him to go, and (I know DC disputed this) my info was that he was put on a Leinster deal first and then bumped up to a central contract because of it.

That's a very different situation to Joey. If the IRFU coerced him into joining Munster then they're the ones who treated him like an inanimate object. I don't have a problem with player's breaking contracts per se. If DK or Mick Kearney got a good offer elsewhere and wanted to move then I'd say good luck to them, but not so much a guy who was in our first choice 23 and had signed a deal a year or so before and was halfway through his contract. Given that it looks like it was the IRFU that prompted it, I think it's fair enough to not be happy about it, even if it does make a lot of sense for Joey. As Peg Leg alluded to, nobody was annoyed with Jordi, and given that he was the first one to go you'd imagine he would have come in for worse treatment.

As much as I dislike what happened, it wouldn't taint my view of Joe's legacy, and actually it provides a good answer for what that legacy is, which is that the system (both on and off the pitch) is always the most important thing.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Forget Leinster, what about Ireland?
EOS seems to believe the signs are that Joe is going to leave.
Who could follow Joe? It's like following Alex Ferguson.
Maybe two men together, could try?
How about a Cullen/Lancaster dream team? :lol:
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The Henshaw and Carbery situations are vastly different IMO.

Henshaw's contract was up and he wanted to come here, Connacht weren't guaranteed HC rugby every year, his girlfriend lived in Dubin etc etc. The IRFU didn't want him to go, and (I know DC disputed this) my info was that he was put on a Leinster deal first and then bumped up to a central contract because of it.

That's a very different situation to Joey. If the IRFU coerced him into joining Munster then they're the ones who treated him like an inanimate object. I don't have a problem with player's breaking contracts per se. If DK or Mick Kearney got a good offer elsewhere and wanted to move then I'd say good luck to them, but not so much a guy who was in our first choice 23 and had signed a deal a year or so before and was halfway through his contract. Given that it looks like it was the IRFU that prompted it, I think it's fair enough to not be happy about it, even if it does make a lot of sense for Joey. As Peg Leg alluded to, nobody was annoyed with Jordi, and given that he was the first one to go you'd imagine he would have come in for worse treatment.

As much as I dislike what happened, it wouldn't taint my view of Joe's legacy, and actually it provides a good answer for what that legacy is, which is that the system (both on and off the pitch) is always the most important thing.
This is clearly a discussion, rather than a debate which might reach a conclusion, and I offer one point which I believe is often ignored in the consideration of Carbery's decision, particularly when compared with that of Henshaw.

Jackson and Olding. Without the occurences which led to the departure from our shores of these two players, it is highly unlikely that Carbery's accelerated development as an out-half would have been elevated to the priority it became for Nucifora and Schmidt. However, once DN, and probably Philip Browne and Tom Grace, took the decision that the protection of the IRFU, financially and in brand value, required the exile of the central figures in the debacle, Schmidt and Nucifora had to assess the impact and determine what were the possible solutions.

Regardless of precedent, or of previous Union or Provincial policy, about players in contract, IMO it is likely that they both agree that the unique circumstances required a unique solution. The fact that the solution also tallied with, and confirmed, one of Nucifora's key objectives (i.e. the movement of players from Province of origin as determined by the IRFU, rather than by player choice) which he had outlined after his first 4 months in the job, was a bonus (for him).

Maybe in some future biography, either DN or JS will outline exactly what happened in the case of Joey. Some rumours emanated from IRFU circles, immediately post the exile decision, that a detailed evaluation was carried out as to whether Mads was a possible solution as cover for Jonny S and an experienced No 10 signing for Ulster. However, the coaching opinion was that this was not the ideal solution as cover for JS.

Remember, Madigan signed a 3-yr deal with Bristol in April / May 2017. Bristol played Championship, not Premiership rugby in 2017-18, and it had always been rumoured that his contract with Lam had a "get out of jail" clause, if Bristol didn't go straight back up to Premiership.

So, however the future of Joey's move to Munster pans out and whether it should have happened in the manner it did, may be discussed and debated for the next decade, it will be very difficult for anybody but the direct participants to replicate the panic that occured, within the coaching and management circles of Irish and Ulster management in the immediate aftermath of the Jackson / Olding fiasco.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is clearly a discussion, rather than a debate which might reach a conclusion, and I offer one point which I believe is often ignored in the consideration of Carbery's decision, particularly when compared with that of Henshaw.

Jackson and Olding. Without the occurences which led to the departure from our shores of these two players, it is highly unlikely that Carbery's accelerated development as an out-half would have been elevated to the priority it became for Nucifora and Schmidt. However, once DN, and probably Philip Browne and Tom Grace, took the decision that the protection of the IRFU, financially and in brand value, required the exile of the central figures in the debacle, Schmidt and Nucifora had to assess the impact and determine what were the possible solutions.

Regardless of precedent, or of previous Union or Provincial policy, about players in contract, IMO it is likely that they both agree that the unique circumstances required a unique solution. The fact that the solution also tallied with, and confirmed, one of Nucifora's key objectives (i.e. the movement of players from Province of origin as determined by the IRFU, rather than by player choice) which he had outlined after his first 4 months in the job, was a bonus (for him).

Maybe in some future biography, either DN or JS will outline exactly what happened in the case of Joey. Some rumours emanated from IRFU circles, immediately post the exile decision, that a detailed evaluation was carried out as to whether Mads was a possible solution as cover for Jonny S and an experienced No 10 signing for Ulster. However, the coaching opinion was that this was not the ideal solution as cover for JS.

Remember, Madigan signed a 3-yr deal with Bristol in April / May 2017. Bristol played Championship, not Premiership rugby in 2017-18, and it had always been rumoured that his contract with Lam had a "get out of jail" clause, if Bristol didn't go straight back up to Premiership.

So, however the future of Joey's move to Munster pans out and whether it should have happened in the manner it did, may be discussed and debated for the next decade, it will be very difficult for anybody but the direct participants to replicate the panic that occured, within the coaching and management circles of Irish and Ulster management in the immediate aftermath of the Jackson / Olding fiasco.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tomthefan wrote:Forget Leinster, what about Ireland?
Well at least they wouldn't be going to Munster.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Joey's move to Munster has more to do with Nucifora's legacy than Joe's would be the main (at least a major point) point I would take from your post if I understand you correctly.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Oldschool wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Forget Leinster, what about Ireland?
Well at least they wouldn't be going to Munster.
No they wouldn't, you're correct.
In fact they very possibly could end up with shorter commutes
than currently. Mad, isn't it?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

molloyjh wrote:
That's the establishment's red herring but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, given the game time he had here in his first two seasons. He definitely is getting more game time at 10, but Munster's recent experience with managing/developing 10s is utterly atrocious. He's still on his honeymoon with them, and I hope for him it lasts, because the fans have treated his predecessors pretty shoddily as soon as they had blips.

Carbery seemed pretty adamant as recently as February that he was happy at Leinster and saw his future with us. What changed?
Clearly, if Plumber had given him more time at 10, he would still be here. But I think it is also clear that, without meddling from Joe and Nucifora, he'd still be here.

I get Jordi's (out of contract) move, but I would imagine he regretted it almost instantly.
I wonder was there any involvement from Joe there?

I get the meddling. He was made to look a bit silly at the last world cup, and he is doing all within his power to avoid a repeat.
I think it is just reasonable to differentiate between his influence on Leinster as Leinster coach and his influence on Leinster as Ireland coach.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

curates_egg wrote:
molloyjh wrote:
That's the establishment's red herring but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, given the game time he had here in his first two seasons. He definitely is getting more game time at 10, but Munster's recent experience with managing/developing 10s is utterly atrocious. He's still on his honeymoon with them, and I hope for him it lasts, because the fans have treated his predecessors pretty shoddily as soon as they had blips.

Carbery seemed pretty adamant as recently as February that he was happy at Leinster and saw his future with us. What changed?
Clearly, if Plumber had given him more time at 10, he would still be here. But I think it is also clear that, without meddling from Joe and Nucifora, he'd still be here.

I get Jordi's (out of contract) move, but I would imagine he regretted it almost instantly.
I wonder was there any involvement from Joe there?

I get the meddling. He was made to look a bit silly at the last world cup, and he is doing all within his power to avoid a repeat.
I think it is just reasonable to differentiate between his influence on Leinster as Leinster coach and his influence on Leinster as Ireland coach.
There's a lot wrong with this post tbh. I clearly meant more game time at 10, which he is undoubtedly getting. And while Munsters recent experience developing 10s has been poor, they've hardly had world class options. JJ didn't exactly fare any better in Northampton. Keatley has been as good as he was ever going to get really. Bleyendaal can't stay fit for any longer than a handful of games. Bill Johnston looks handy though. As for the Munster fans, they've only ever gotten on Keatleys back. I'm not sure why you have the plural in there for predecessor. It's not like Leinster can claim to be any better given how Gopperth was treated by a lot of our so called supporters.

Carbery said what he had to say in February. He was hardly going to come out and publicly announce anything else, especially coming into knock out season. Carbery could never be offered more than back-up 10 to Sexton at Leinster. The other provinces already had far more of a carrot in terms of starting HEC games. The IRFU putting the Irish team first should come as a shock to precisely nobody at all. They should be encouraging moves like this. It is, after all, their job. Taking the hump with them over that is more than a little daft IMO. The national side is what keeps us all afloat, so it's only right that it takes priority over the provinces.

There's been no indication or rumour to suggest that Joe had any hand in Jordis move so the only point I can see in bringing that up is to throw more s*** in the hopes that more will stick tbh.

And claiming Joe was made to look "silly" in the last RWC is a bit petty.

At the end of the day, nobody forced Joey into a van at gunpoint and drove him down to Limerick. He was presented with a case. A case that made sense. And he made his decision on that. Rather than lashing out at the guys talking sense, we should try and have a bit of respect for them. They've done a lot for Leinster and for Ireland. And they continue to, albeit somewhat more indirectly. It's not all going to go Leinsters way. It can't. We have to accept that and realise that we're part of something bigger. And we're hardly suffering unduly to it. We're one of the best teams, if not the best team, in Europe right now. So it's not like we're getting screwed over really.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote: There's a lot wrong with this post tbh. I clearly meant more game time at 10, which he is undoubtedly getting. And while Munsters recent experience developing 10s has been poor, they've hardly had world class options. JJ didn't exactly fare any better in Northampton. Keatley has been as good as he was ever going to get really. Bleyendaal can't stay fit for any longer than a handful of games. Bill Johnston looks handy though. As for the Munster fans, they've only ever gotten on Keatleys back. I'm not sure why you have the plural in there for predecessor. It's not like Leinster can claim to be any better given how Gopperth was treated by a lot of our so called supporters.

Carbery said what he had to say in February. He was hardly going to come out and publicly announce anything else, especially coming into knock out season. Carbery could never be offered more than back-up 10 to Sexton at Leinster. The other provinces already had far more of a carrot in terms of starting HEC games. The IRFU putting the Irish team first should come as a shock to precisely nobody at all. They should be encouraging moves like this. It is, after all, their job. Taking the hump with them over that is more than a little daft IMO. The national side is what keeps us all afloat, so it's only right that it takes priority over the provinces.

There's been no indication or rumour to suggest that Joe had any hand in Jordis move so the only point I can see in bringing that up is to throw more s*** in the hopes that more will stick tbh.

And claiming Joe was made to look "silly" in the last RWC is a bit petty.

At the end of the day, nobody forced Joey into a van at gunpoint and drove him down to Limerick. He was presented with a case. A case that made sense. And he made his decision on that. Rather than lashing out at the guys talking sense, we should try and have a bit of respect for them. They've done a lot for Leinster and for Ireland. And they continue to, albeit somewhat more indirectly. It's not all going to go Leinsters way. It can't. We have to accept that and realise that we're part of something bigger. And we're hardly suffering unduly to it. We're one of the best teams, if not the best team, in Europe right now. So it's not like we're getting screwed over really.
Great post. :happy clapper: