Joe Tomane

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Joe Tomane

Post by carlow man »

Heard that joe is out for 4 months with bad hamstring injury. Apols if already reported!!!

To be fair he hasnt impressed so far. Short on cover in backline now. Also that hair has to go!
Serb
Mullet

Re: Joe Tomane

Post by Serb »

If true, it leaves us a little short on center cover with O’Loughlin and McFadden also injured for some amount of time (unclear in O’Loughlin’s case at the moment).

Who would be likely to start at 12 & 13 vs the Ospreys for example? I think we’re picking from Noel Reid at 12, Tom Daly or Conor O’Brien at 13, with Frawley at 10.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeah looks like Reid at 12 although I never feel confident with him there. Prob be cob at 13 as he's a big lad, has good pace and can pass well. His sevens background will stand to him. Hoping frawley gets a run as Byrne will prob be used against usa. Not convinced with daly to be honest. Had a lot of injuries already for a young lad.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Serb wrote:If true, it leaves us a little short on center cover with O’Loughlin and McFadden also injured for some amount of time (unclear in O’Loughlin’s case at the moment).

Who would be likely to start at 12 & 13 vs the Ospreys for example? I think we’re picking from Noel Reid at 12, Tom Daly or Conor O’Brien at 13, with Frawley at 10.
Think I'd leave COB and TD at 12 and bring JOB in at 13

When's TOB back?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

carlow man wrote:Heard that joe is out for 4 months with bad hamstring injury. Apols if already reported!!!

To be fair he hasnt impressed so far. Short on cover in backline now. Also that hair has to go!
Five months. https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... d=18LO7260 Poor guy.
Surely we have a case for signing a medical joker?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Presume the medical joker talk is tongue in cheek, but we have plenty of cover in midfield and out wide for the big games. I think you’d only get a joker if you can’t field sufficiently high quality players in every position in a European game.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

Frawley to centre, Reid to 10, Harry to the bench
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Serb wrote:Presume the medical joker talk is tongue in cheek, but we have plenty of cover in midfield and out wide for the big games. I think you’d only get a joker if you can’t field sufficiently high quality players in every position in a European game.
No reason that it should be tongue in cheek. We're down three wingers with long term injuries in Tomane, McFadden and Daly. Tomane is NIE. It's completely reasonable that we should be able to replace at least one of them.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

hugonaut wrote:No reason that it should be tongue in cheek. We're down three wingers with long term injuries in Tomane, McFadden and Daly. Tomane is NIE. It's completely reasonable that we should be able to replace at least one of them.
Unless it was likely to affect our match day squad for a Champions Cup game, I’d say it’s exceptionally unlikely we’d be allowed to sign someone.

I’d also wonder who’s available at this point in the season too. Super Rugby doesn’t start back until February but we would have to bear in mind that whoever we would sign has to have citizenship other than New Zealand or Australia

We’re looking at picking three from Kearney x2, Byrne, Larmour and Lowe, I’d say we’re still one to two injuries away from being in a situation where we’d be allowed to sign a medical joker.

I know Munster signed Mathewson with three fit senior scrum halves in their squad but that was an absolute farce imo, made even more farcical by the joker getting injured and then still getting good results in their pool games.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Yeah but Adam Byrne and DK were barely getting a look in when Tomane and McFadden were fit. Lowe, Larmour, DK, Byrne and Keenan is a pretty good corps of wingers. Could play Jimmy O'Brien on the wing to introduce him to this level as well
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Serb wrote:
hugonaut wrote:No reason that it should be tongue in cheek. We're down three wingers with long term injuries in Tomane, McFadden and Daly. Tomane is NIE. It's completely reasonable that we should be able to replace at least one of them.
Unless it was likely to affect our match day squad for a Champions Cup game, I’d say it’s exceptionally unlikely we’d be allowed to sign someone.

I’d also wonder who’s available at this point in the season too. Super Rugby doesn’t start back until February but we would have to bear in mind that whoever we would sign has to have citizenship other than New Zealand or Australia

We’re looking at picking three from Kearney x2, Byrne, Larmour and Lowe, I’d say we’re still one to two injuries away from being in a situation where we’d be allowed to sign a medical joker.

I know Munster signed Mathewson with three fit senior scrum halves in their squad
but that was an absolute farce imo, made even more farcical by the joker getting injured and then still getting good results in their pool games.
Just signed an extension until April.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

That was always, always going to happen.
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

Wonder would Ross Byrne be released back or will Joe want to give him a run against the USA, possibly off the bench for Carbury?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

BlueWheels wrote:Wonder would Ross Byrne be released back or will Joe want to give him a run against the USA, possibly off the bench for Carbury?
I'd say Byrne getting a run against the US is an inevitability.

Absolutely zero need for Johnny to play that game (assuming he gets through tomorrow)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

blockhead wrote:
Serb wrote:

I know Munster signed Mathewson with three fit senior scrum halves in their squad
but that was an absolute farce imo, made even more farcical by the joker getting injured and then still getting good results in their pool games.
Just signed an extension until April.
Start of April or till the weekend of 19/20/21?

Just wondering when they plan on getting knocked out of Europe quarters or semi final?.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

BlueWheels wrote:Wonder would Ross Byrne be released back or will Joe want to give him a run against the USA, possibly off the bench for Carbury?
Second case scenario is a certainty.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote:
The even more logical decision would be to start him, but Joe has bet the house on Carbery and has tunnel vision.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
The even more logical decision would be to start him, but Joe has bet the house on Carbery and has tunnel vision.
No- the logical decision is to give your chosen “number 2” a start- and give the 3rd (or 4th) 20 minutes off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yeah Joe Schmidt. A top 14. 2 H cups. Pro12. Amlin. 3 X 6 nations including GS. Winning Tour in SH. In 8 years. What would he know about rugby?

I'm sure he is selecting Carberry out of stubbornness rather because he can see more talent in him.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

artaneboy wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Second case scenario is a certainty.
No- the logical decision is to give your chosen “number 2” a start- and give the 3rd (or 4th) 20 minutes off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But he knows Carbery, and Carbery has now got a lot of game time. He will also presumably get a lot more in the 6 Nations, whereas Byrne won't.
As a result, for me, the logical decision would be to give your 3rd choice a start against a weakened US side, with a familiar scrumhalf inside him: it is one of the last opportunities we will have to do so.
However, I would be surprised if he does, because he seems to be like a dog with a bone on Carbery. Either way, we won't have Byrne.
johng wrote:I'm sure he is selecting Carberry out of stubbornness rather because he can see more talent in him.
@John G - I don't know how you could project onto me (of pretty much all posters) a dismissal of Carbery's "talent". I'm bitter about Schmidt forcing him away from us; I'm frustrated that we played a role in that by not selecting him at 10; but he is a player I really look forward to watching 10 (albeit not for his province anymore).