NG Dragons Vs Leinster Rodney Pde Sat 1st Dec 17.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Barry
Enlightened

Re: NG Dragons Vs Leinster Rodney Pde Sat 1st Dec 17.15

Post by Barry »

curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:so which combo: JGP/Fardy, Fardy/Lowe or JGP/Lowe?
JGP has to play, as he will be in the squad next week.
I guess then it is whichever player loses out next week, so probably Fardy?
might need Fardy to play at 6 in Bath
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Barry wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:so which combo: JGP/Fardy, Fardy/Lowe or JGP/Lowe?
JGP has to play, as he will be in the squad next week.
I guess then it is whichever player loses out next week, so probably Fardy?
might need Fardy to play at 6 in Bath
On the basis that packs win games and backs decide by how much, it's advantage Fardy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschool wrote: On the basis that packs win games and backs decide by how much, it's advantage Fardy.
Lowe is one of three confirmed healthy back three players in the registered euro squad - along with A Byrne and Rob K.

Confirmed out - Tomane, McFadden
status unknown - Larmour, Dave K, ROL
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think we'll be forced into leaving JGP out for Bath #1 anyway. Fardy will be needed either to start of bring in and Lowe will definitely be needed.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I see Munster have brought back in a lot of their internationals this weekend. Maybe we might see more guys than I initially though.

Would still be leaving people in pivotal positions where we haven't the cover behind. RK, VDF, Larmour, Ringrose and Sexton for eg.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:I think we'll be forced into leaving JGP out for Bath #1 anyway. Fardy will be needed either to start of bring in and Lowe will definitely be needed.
They are all needed. It's a question of where the need is most.

We have no fit backs, so Lowe has to be involved.

Can we live with O'Sullivan as the back-up 9 for two successive European games?
It is a big ask for a rookie who has yet to start a Pro14 game.

Fardy is obviously amazing. But we will hopefully have VDF, Ruddock and at least one of Conan and Leavy fit in the back row, and Dev and Ryan in the second row. Surely Molony and Deegan is a less risky bench option than O'Sullivan?

For this week, I would guess that means that JGP (who needs game time) and Fardy will start. I would be surprised if Deegan doesn't start at 8, as he will possibly be in the squad next week. Ditto Molony.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

curates_egg wrote:I would be surprised if Deegan doesn't start at 8, as he will possibly be in the squad next week. Ditto Molony.
Very strong info is that Doris will start this weekend and not Deegan who has definitely fallen out of favour, and the brain fart in the Southern Kings game (where he was a try scorer) doesn't explain it.

I think he has started once at 8, he is not a 6. But he needs to be able to play both. I think he needs to put on more muscle. Talk also that he needs to work harder without the ball.

As for Doris, I hear great things but have not seen enough yet. He is certainly more powerful than Deegan, but he has not had the impact Deegan had in his games last year. He probably hasn't had enough opportunity either.

Doris being likened to Read. I hope so. He is getting some opportunities to back that up.

Deegan is a special talent in terms of his smarts and distribution skills...but needs to be able to grunt as well. Can we accommodate both?

Is team announcement tomorrow?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

backrower8 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I would be surprised if Deegan doesn't start at 8, as he will possibly be in the squad next week. Ditto Molony.
Very strong info is that Doris will start this weekend and not Deegan who has definitely fallen out of favour, and the brain fart in the Southern Kings game (where he was a try scorer) doesn't explain it.

I think he has started once at 8, he is not a 6. But he needs to be able to play both. I think he needs to put on more muscle. Talk also that he needs to work harder without the ball.

As for Doris, I hear great things but have not seen enough yet. He is certainly more powerful than Deegan, but he has not had the impact Deegan had in his games last year. He probably hasn't had enough opportunity either.

Doris being likened to Read. I hope so. He is getting some opportunities to back that up.

Deegan is a special talent in terms of his smarts and distribution skills...but needs to be able to grunt as well. Can we accommodate both?

He scored last weekend as well.
That's a pity if he has fallen off, or is perceived to have done so. Some of his performances last season were very good, and built on the potential he clearly showed at u20 level (he was player of the tournament in the World Championship where they beat the All Blacks, and deservedly so).
That said, if Doris is considered to be better than him, then that is not a bad place to be.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote:
backrower8 wrote:

He scored last weekend as well.
That's a pity if he has fallen off, or is perceived to have done so. Some of his performances last season were very good, and built on the potential he clearly showed at u20 level (he was player of the tournament in the World Championship where they beat the All Blacks, and deservedly so).
That said, if Doris is considered to be better than him, then that is not a bad place to be.
Deegan winning the u20 player of the year was a bit of a joke, Ryan was more important for Ireland, if not as flashy. And the english 10 was ridiculous in that tournament.

Leo answered a question last weekend about leaving Deegan out of the side and he more or less said he doesn't work hard enough.

@4.50: https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1066085504058298368
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Deegan winning the u20 player of the year was a bit of a joke
Strong dismissal of that award but that's not the point here. Leo thought enough of him 18 months ago to put him on a senior contract after year 2 of the academy and he showed really well in his performances last year. The point is what Leo thinks of him now. Let's see how he reacts and if Doris delivers on his burgeoning Academy/20s rep.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Deegan is only gone 22, he has a huge future ahead of him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:Deegan is only gone 22, he has a huge future ahead of him.
If he continues to improve, but being bypassed by Doris, two years his younger certainly wasn't part of the plan i'm sure.

I think he is out of contract this season, I wonder will another province try to tempt him away.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
OTT wrote:Deegan is only gone 22, he has a huge future ahead of him.
If he continues to improve, but being bypassed by Doris, two years his younger certainly wasn't part of the plan i'm sure.

I think he is out of contract this season, I wonder will another province try to tempt him away.
Doris is 1 rugby year & 18 months younger than Deegan and who says he has been bypassed? Doris has started ahead of him once. Deegan is also a regular try scorer with 7 tries (2 this season) in 28 matches/ 14 starts. Doris is zero scores from 5 matches/ 2 starts.

If Doris is being given a block of games then he has to take any chance he gets and prove he is better. He is listed as a flanker on Leinster Rugby web-site. If Deegan is a better distributor and Deegan the muscle then perhaps we will accommodate both in the future. It's too early for me to judge either of them.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

it's quite clear that at the moment Doris is playing ahead of Deegan.. and potentially to start at 8 against Bath or to bench ahead of him.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Doris has been solid but unspectacular so far. Personally, I think Deegan offers more right now. He's a very smart player. There was one instance at the weekend where he ran just the right angle and timed the pass just right to draw defenders and put the next guy in space. I think he's the type of player who relishes the big occasion as well.

I'm interested to see Keenan this weekend - assuming he plays. If Larmour is out for Bath and Keenan is performing well it might be good to add him to the Euro squad so he can be #23. There's no real wing cover if it's Byrne and Frawley on the bench.

What's happening with DK?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:it's quite clear that at the moment Doris is playing ahead of Deegan.. and potentially to start at 8 against Bath or to bench ahead of him.
Deegan working through a knock?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

backrower8 wrote:
Last season he had ten starts - nine at 8 and one at 6
This season he’s had four starts - two at 8 and two at 6
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:it's quite clear that at the moment Doris is playing ahead of Deegan.. and potentially to start at 8 against Bath or to bench ahead of him.
Nothing to indicate that is the case. Simply behind Doris.

Appears Ross Byrne is playing this weekend, would love to see Frawley next to him at 12 but assume it will be Reid with Frawley on the bench.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
ronk wrote:
Nothing to indicate that is the case. Simply behind Doris.

Appears Ross Byrne is playing this weekend, would love to see Frawley next to him at 12 but assume it will be Reid with Frawley on the bench.
I'd rather Reid was the utility 5/8 and Frawley focus on OH
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: Appears Ross Byrne is playing this weekend, would love to see Frawley next to him at 12 but assume it will be Reid with Frawley on the bench.
I'd rather Reid was the utility 5/8 and Frawley focus on OH
I think we should definitely give him a run at both 9 and 15, just to be sure, to be sure.

But actually, I like the idea of trying him at 12 (where he has played a lot).
He is clearly on form and confident. As we have a need at 12, if it works, he could be the answer for the coming weeks. The alternative is him not making the squad for the European games.