NG Dragons Vs Leinster Rodney Pde Sat 1st Dec 17.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: NG Dragons Vs Leinster Rodney Pde Sat 1st Dec 17.15

Post by paddyor »

Is it fair to say that Conor O'Brien is now ahead of Tom Daly?
Last edited by paddyor on December 1st, 2018, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That was a ridiculous result regardless of how bad the Dragons were. They have huge problems but we were the one who made them look like kids. Thought it was great that we were able to repel their mini comeback after HT with the bench they had, there's a real steel to the young lads.

Ross Byrne's kicks to touch from penalties (and crossfield kicks of course) are absolutely brilliant, and the rest of his game isn't far behind.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschool wrote: Yeah wasn't it ego that made Conway move iirc?
In his last season [2012-13] he was competing against Isa [who played No 11,14 and 15 that season, starting 22 games], Ferg [who played Nos 11,12, 13 & 14 that season, starting 21 games], DK [who played Nos 14 & 15, starting 11 games] and Luke, who missed all but five games of the season and was never right [Nos 11 & 15, 5 starts].

Conway played in 23 games [16+7] that season and 42 games for Leinster before he turned 22. The idea that he was moving for gametime was always very questionable. The way I saw it was:
1] the IRFU was very vocal about wanting players to move provinces 'for the good of Irish rugby'; and
2] Declan Kidney was very generous towards Munster players in terms of including them in Irish squads [see Dave O'Callaghan, Ian Nagle, Stephen Archer etc.]

My belief is that he thought he'd get some early caps for moving [the union's best boy] and for playing for Munster [Deccie's newest protege]. He couldn't get into Munster's strongest 23 in his first season and Kidney got sacked that year, so it backfired. All supposition ... but plausible.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Any idea where to find highlights this evening? Thanks
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I thought Ross Byrne was man of the match. I know the Dragons were gash but I was so impressed in how he backed himself to run the ball when it appeared he was going to kick it, to be able to read the game like that on the fly, it was Carbery esque when he first broke through which we all drooled over at the time. Great to see him being able to mix it, his kicking game has always been strong. He is getting more rounded every game. Well done to him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

We now have by far the best offence and defence in the league. We're scoring nearly 40 points a game. Are there question marks over the competitiveness of the league I wonder? The Ospreys and Dragons didn't look like they were up for it for large tracts of the games. Richard Hibbard is a 3 time Lion but clearly can't be arsed. I know he's 34 but then again so is Scott Fardy.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

OTT wrote:I thought Ross Byrne was man of the match. I know the Dragons were gash but I was so impressed in how he backed himself to run the ball when it appeared he was going to kick it, to be able to read the game like that on the fly, it was Carbery esque when he first broke through which we all drooled over at the time. Great to see him being able to mix it, his kicking game has always been strong. He is getting more rounded every game. Well done to him.
+1 The ability and the confidence of all our players to mix things up and play what was facing them, was what impressed me the most. Good examples would be the clearing kick to touch by Penny after we got the ball back off them in our 22 in the first half, and Deegan's grubber off the outside of his boot to the corner flag towards the end of the second half to pin the Dragons back on their line.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Flash Gordon wrote:We now have by far the best offence and defence in the league. We're scoring nearly 40 points a game. Are there question marks over the competitiveness of the league I wonder? The Ospreys and Dragons didn't look like they were up for it for large tracts of the games. Richard Hibbard is a 3 time Lion but clearly can't be arsed. I know he's 34 but then again so is Scott Fardy.
Maybe, but not much Leinster can do about it.

Let's see how we go in Europe and Xmas interpros
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Flash Gordon wrote:We now have by far the best offence and defence in the league. We're scoring nearly 40 points a game. Are there question marks over the competitiveness of the league I wonder? The Ospreys and Dragons didn't look like they were up for it for large tracts of the games. Richard Hibbard is a 3 time Lion but clearly can't be arsed. I know he's 34 but then again so is Scott Fardy.
Personally I think Leinster disrespected the league by picking a bunch of hungry kids and only putting 59 points on the Dragons.

I wonder what the Welsh journalists are writing these days.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:
Personally I think Leinster disrespected the league by picking a bunch of hungry kids and only putting 59 points on the Dragons.

crying about finances no doubt.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ribs wrote:Any idea where to find highlights this evening? Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLmdPZbzRU
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Eir commentators mentioned that Birch was not at the match. What's that about?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Peg Leg wrote:Eir commentators mentioned that Birch was not at the match. What's that about?
He was serving ban for having a go at a ref after one of the previous matches

Presumably the Cardiff coach will serve a similar ban after his outburst over the reffing of their match with Ulster
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Peg Leg wrote:Eir commentators mentioned that Birch was not at the match. What's that about?
2 game suspension for giving out about refs :roll:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't blame him, I'd try to get a ban to avoid watching them too.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
OTT wrote:

crying about finances no doubt.
Spot on! :roll:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote:
ribs wrote:Any idea where to find highlights this evening? Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLmdPZbzRU
Or the whole match here with Reggie Corrigan and Shane Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefhwVl3jPk
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

I know it doesn't matter now but if you look at the Dragons try, Wainwright was in an offside position when he picked the ball from the ruck. It was exactly the same as the disallowed try by Doris. You would hope for consistency.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

D4surfer wrote:I know it doesn't matter now but if you look at the Dragons try, Wainwright was in an offside position when he picked the ball from the ruck. It was exactly the same as the disallowed try by Doris. You would hope for consistency.
There was no ruck, it was a tackle only - therefore it wasn't offside. He actually refereed it exactly as he described when he was asking the TMO about the Doris disallowed try
I have Bumbleflex
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
D4surfer wrote:I know it doesn't matter now but if you look at the Dragons try, Wainwright was in an offside position when he picked the ball from the ruck. It was exactly the same as the disallowed try by Doris. You would hope for consistency.
There was no ruck, it was a tackle only - therefore it wasn't offside. He actually refereed it exactly as he described when he was asking the TMO about the Doris disallowed try
Yeah but still incorrect call.

To prevent that whole "tackle only" tactic Italy exploited, World Rugby changed it so that only one player has to be over the ball for it to be a ruck correct?

Dragons player was clearly present at the ruck. Sealed it by grabbing the tackled players jersey. Ruck all day. Totally incorrect call.

Poor fringe defence by Leinster however
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick