20. Max Deegan (28)
21. Paddy Patterson (0)
22. Ciarán Frawley (5)
23. Tom Daly (11)
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: NG Dragons Vs Leinster Rodney Pde Sat 1st Dec 17.15

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out. We have gone the opposite route to the other provinces and said to the main body of players "you guys spend these two weeks concentrating on the Bath back to back . The other lads will look after the Dragons game". Will they be well rested and duly prepared for Bath or totally under-cooked?

Very Interesting alright!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Going to be interesting to see how this pans out. We have gone the opposite route to the other provinces and said to the main body of players "you guys spend these two weeks concentrating on the Bath back to back . The other lads will look after the Dragons game". Will they be well rested and duly prepared for Bath or totally under-cooked?

The majority of the team we field in the Rec will be still be on the buzz of having been part of the first Ireland team to beat NZ on Irish soil. I would be confident they can get four if not five points vs Bath. Reckon Leo, Stu, Felipe and Fogs will have all 23 fully primed. Great to see the trust put in Fardy and the academy kids to get a result in Rodney Parade. It's a risk worth taking and one they earned themselves with their crushing of the Ospreys.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Last week's game turned out to be much easier than expected for Leinster.

After naming such an inexperienced team, Leinster looked up against it but they absolutely crushed an Ospreys team who uncharacteristically threw up the white flag after about twenty minutes. But Leinster will just be happy with how youngsters like Scott Penny, Hugo Keenan and Conor O'Brien went. Ciaran Frawley also performed commendably and he and O'Brien could come in very useful over the new seven weeks considering the amount of injuries Leinster have to midfield and back three players.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

riocard911 wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Going to be interesting to see how this pans out. We have gone the opposite route to the other provinces and said to the main body of players "you guys spend these two weeks concentrating on the Bath back to back . The other lads will look after the Dragons game". Will they be well rested and duly prepared for Bath or totally under-cooked?

The majority of the team we field in the Rec will be still be on the buzz of having been part of the first Ireland team to beat NZ on Irish soil. I would be confident they can get four if not five points vs Bath. Reckon Leo, Stu, Felipe and Fogs will have all 23 fully primed. Great to see the trust put in Fardy and the academy kids to get a result in Rodney Parade. It's a risk worth taking and one they earned themselves with their crushing of the Ospreys.
Yep, I agree with all that and I'm not saying the idea to rest guys is a bad idea. I just think it's interesting with the juxtaposition if you like with Munsters approach which seems to be 'the more their main men play together the better they'll be'. I mean there's merit in that too but the other side is (and I felt Scarlet's suffered from this last year), will they be tired come the business end of the season. As I say all very interesting to see which is the best approach in the long run.

Edit: I agree too, you can't really argue that the yun'fellas haven't earned another shot after last weeks performance.
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on November 30th, 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very interesting selection.

Looks like we're not starting anyone who will start against Bath. Keeping Reid at home would indicate he's in pole position for 12 shirt next week too.

We've a bit of leeway in the league so I wouldn't be too unhappy with a loss in this one. But we should scrape a win I reckon.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
riocard911 wrote:

Yep, I agree with all that and I'm not saying the idea to rest guys is a bad idea. I just think it's interesting with the juxtaposition if you like with Munsters approach which seems to be 'the more their main men play together the better they'll be'. I mean there's merit in that too but the other side is (and I felt Scarlet's suffered from this last year), will they be tired come the business end of the season. As I say all very interesting to see which is the best approach in the long run.

Edit: I agree too, you can't really argue that the yun'fellas have earned another shot after last weeks performance.
I suppose it is the difference in culture one team has decided to develop their young players and the other has decided to sign the other teams developed young players.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:it's quite clear that at the moment Doris is playing ahead of Deegan.. and potentially to start at 8 against Bath or to bench ahead of him.
So by that logic everyone else associated with starting the Bath match is being left in Dublin this weekend, except Doris.

By similar logic, Bent has overtaken Porter!

This is only the 2nd time Doris has started at 8 ahead of Deegan. It is premature to say who is winning the battle. You seem very gung-ho that its Doris's to lose and seem to have Deegan's Leinster-obituary written already.

He definitely has pissed Leo off and has a battle on his hands but there is a way to go in this yet.

Would you like to see both remain with Leinster?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The difference in the standings probably played a part too, it's a far more important game for Munster than it is for us.

It really is great that we can back all these young guys to perform again and reward them for the cup win and last week. We have experience where it matters too though. The front five is good and the half backs are as well. I know Molony and Ross Byrne aren't exactly gnarled veterans but they've been around a while and played in big games. For that reason I think we should be good enough to win but I'd say it'll be harder to back up what they did last week, not expecting a great spectacle.

Looking forward to seeing more of COB but would like to see Frawley at 12 at some point too. Hope Adam sees a fair bit of ball but have a feeling he'll be kicking his heels a bit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster scouting report not a match preview!!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 0?mode=amp
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:Very interesting selection.

Looks like we're not starting anyone who will start against Bath. Keeping Reid at home would indicate he's in pole position for 12 shirt next week too.

We've a bit of leeway in the league so I wouldn't be too unhappy with a loss in this one. But we should scrape a win I reckon.
That could aldo be a factor for Deegan-Doris
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:it's quite clear that at the moment Doris is playing ahead of Deegan.. and potentially to start at 8 against Bath or to bench ahead of him.
So by that logic everyone else associated with starting the Bath match is being left in Dublin this weekend, except Doris.

By similar logic, Bent has overtaken Porter!

This is only the 2nd time Doris has started at 8 ahead of Deegan. It is premature to say who is winning the battle. You seem very gung-ho that its Doris's to lose and seem to have Deegan's Leinster-obituary written already.

He definitely has pissed Leo off and has a battle on his hands but there is a way to go in this yet.

If we really are not playing anyone who will be involved next week, then maybe neither of them are, and Ruddock, VdF, Leavy and Conan are all expected to be fit? Would be great.

Great to see us send a total b squad (maybe only three guys involved next week), and still have a feeling of optimism.
Very green backline.
Great to see Dave fit: I was worried.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:Munster scouting report not a match preview!!!

A bit in the nose, logic this, nucifora that? Cullen seemingly now needs to make a case to keep these lads?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

what a joke of an article, but once the precedent was set with Carbery, it's hardly a surprise media members start spouting it should happen more.

who cares about contracts or provincial identity.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote:
Of course, will Deegan stick around?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

The Ed Byrne bit in the article is especially ignorant. The poor lad has had a torrid time with injury.

http://www.the42.ie/ed-byrne-injury-com ... 1-Dec2017/
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

OTT wrote:

The Ed Byrne bit in the article is especially ignorant. The poor lad has had a torrid time with injury.

All public reasons are pretext. They just want to grab talent. This is why different logic is used for different players but the solution is always the same.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ronk wrote:
OTT wrote:

All public reasons are pretext. They just want to grab talent. This is why different logic is used for different players but the solution is always the same.
I think the theory goes that Leinster fans haven't taken to the streets and marched on the IRFU thusfar, therfore they don't really mind, so by extension they are happy about it ergo it's a good thing for everyone. So let's keep it going.....

The precedent has been set now so strap yourselves in. This ain't going away.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Carlow isn't a million miles from Limerick.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Of course it isn't going away. That's what makes the relative lack of a fuss about Carbery so annoying: most fans seem to be happy to accept it.

Who's the article by? Dexies, the Munster fan, or Cummiskey, the IRFU's new lackey? I don't want to waste my free article on something I know will annoy me.