Re: Bath v Leinster Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

Reid vs Roberts

Battle of the ages
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bath are down Joseph, Watson, Mercer, Burns, Priestland, Faletau, Brew, Obano and Homer.

They're playing a guy at 10 who is 35, isn't really a 10 and was only re-signed on a short term deal last week.

If we don't win tomorrow, we don't deserve to retain our title, and I'm confident we will win.

Leavy is a very interesting one. Not sure about that decision I must say. It'll be wet and we'll need a good bit of carrying grunt. If Conan isn't fit then surely starting Doris and benching Leavy would be the better idea?

I'd say we'll see Rhys at 8 a good bit anyway.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys ended up at 8. He constantly offers himself as a carrier anyway so don't think we'll be missing a proper 8 really. It'll be interesting though because if Leavy does actually play like an 8 and does well then that could have serious ramifications for Conan and Ruddock's Ireland prospects. I've been saying for ages that I'd like to see Leavy and Josh playing together, didn't expect it to be like this though. If Jack is fit and raring to go then he should offer a big impact. I like the look of our bench in general, we just look in much better shape than them.

Obviously in an ideal world Fardy would be on the bench but really happy for Molony that he gets a shot. I watched the Dragons game again last night and he really was excellent and has been in really good form, hope he gets a run and gives another good account of himself.

I'm not quibbling with the selection but I really feel for Adam missing out on this, and actually I think his style would have been good against Cokanisiga, particularly if the conditions are bad. At the risk of jumping the gun I hope we put them away tomorrow and can play Larmour at fullback in the home game.

I expect a big response to the loss in Toulouse so reckon we'll be really fired up and dominate from the start. My biggest concern right now is that the conditions level things up but haven't heard any weather reports since earlier in the week so not sure if it's still meant to be bad.

Any Bath fans reading this thread might think we're a bit cocky but I think our confidence is probably justified...and it helps that we've the best player in the world.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster resume action in Europe this weekend with a degree of anxiousness.

When they began their European campaign against Wasps it was noticeable how few injuries they had and they put in a masterclass performance. However after the defeat the following week against Toulouse and with the injuries now a lot more numerous the match away to Bath is a more nervy prospect than it might have been.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The one thing I'd worry about slightly is that if this becomes a slog, our outside backs are a good bit smaller than theirs. Lowe and RK are big boys sure, but the other three aren't. Bath have bruisers like Roberts and Cokanasinga. Willison and Roko carry hard too.

Hopefully that doesn't count against us.

I do see us attacking them aerially though. Expect a few bombs on Mcconnochie (a 7s convert) in particular for RK to chase.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It will come down to fitness and the impact of the bench. I know the pitch will be heavy and will cut up but with the side Leinster have picked and the fact that most guys haven't played for 2/3 weeks means we should finish stronger and our pack should have the upper hand in set piece and scrum time.
Can't wait for this! Much is being made about the size of their wingers compared to ours but larmour won't go missing and i would expect the likes of leavy and vdf to cover across the pitch to help him out if he needs it!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Deegan travelled with squad.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Deegan travelled with squad.
The Prodigal Son redeemed! Hallelujah!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

riocard911 wrote:
I heard he was carrying Doris' bags
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
I heard he was carrying Doris' bags
Is Doris in our European Cup squad?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Doris Day will come.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Bath v Leinster Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by Serb »

Oldschool wrote: Is Doris in our European Cup squad?
Yeah he is.

Squad is here: https://www.epcrugby.com/club/leinster-rugby/#players
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'm not quibbling with the selection but I really feel for Adam missing out on this, and actually I think his style would have been good against Cokanisiga, particularly if the conditions are bad. At the risk of jumping the gun I hope we put them away tomorrow and can play Larmour at fullback in the home game.
Honest question: why would you think Byrne would be good against Cocksanasiga? I would have thought that the main or only thing that has been holding him back is his wide defence; shooting up, missing tackles and leaving holes. I'd like to see proof he has sorted that out against a lesser challenge before choosing to put him in there against a real threat.

I'd have less concern about Larmour at 15, and we need to start transitioning towards our next 15. But his last outing for us there (against Toulouse) was very mixed, like with Ireland. I'd be less worried about this Bath side's ability to put him under pressure though. That said, on the evidence so far this season, Kearney is still our best 15, so why drop him for Europe?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Bath v Leinster Sat 3.15 BT Sports

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I'm not quibbling with the selection but I really feel for Adam missing out on this, and actually I think his style would have been good against Cokanisiga, particularly if the conditions are bad. At the risk of jumping the gun I hope we put them away tomorrow and can play Larmour at fullback in the home game.
Honest question: why would you think Byrne would be good against Cocksanasiga? I would have thought that the main or only thing that has been holding him back is his wide defence; shooting up, missing tackles and leaving holes. I'd like to see proof he has sorted that out against a lesser challenge before choosing to put him in there against a real threat.

I'd have less concern about Larmour at 15, and we need to start transitioning towards our next 15. But his last outing for us there (against Toulouse) was very mixed, like with Ireland. I'd be less worried about this Bath side's ability to put him under pressure though. That said, on the evidence so far this season, Kearney is still our best 15, so why drop him for Europe?
Exactly- on the substance, disagree slightly on the detail on Byrne.

I love Adam Byrne and hope he can soon realise that much discussed potential. But he’s still a cause for concern in defence; not so much against big opponents (although he could be more aggressive there) but in terms of alignment, spacing, choice of options, etc. He has been better than previously, but there’s still a niggling concern when that chaos occurs, he doesn’t look comfortable.

Just don’t see the argument stacking up for Larmour replacing Rob at 15. Not on Jordan’s form at FB, nor on the circumstances of this game: bad weather, sticky pitch, away fixture.

A simple win today would be a very good result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote:

I don't think Adam's defence is as bad as others do, and reckon that he'd be a good weapon to have in the air if the weather is shite today, didn't say it was just defensively. He's been in good form recently, both for the first team and the A team, and I thought he did a decent job on Nadolo last year. Cokanisiga isn't as difficult to stop as him and I think Adam would do a good job and earned a shot. Just with the circumstances of Larmour and ROL both coming off injuries I think I'd have picked him, but not saying it's a bad call, just not the one I'd have made.

It's not about dropping Rob. I expect us to put at least 50 points on Bath next week and just don't think it'll be the kind of game where we need his solidity. Great chance for Larmour to develop at 15 and improve on the Toulouse and Argentina games. If we don't perform today then obviously things change but I expect a comfortable win.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

artaneboy wrote:
Just don’t see the argument stacking up for Larmour replacing Rob at 15. Not on Jordan’s form at FB, nor on the circumstances of this game: bad weather, sticky pitch, away fixture.

Nobody argued for Larmour at 15 today, I said the home game.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

Nobody argued for Larmour at 15 today, I said the home game.
Depending on a good result today- I’d agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I’m all nervous now!

Wish they’d just kick off :D
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Listening to CH4 previewing the Exeter v Gloucester game.
It's all about the conditions.
Bath is only a stone's throw away and by all accounts identical conditions.
Leinster aren't used to this.
Against Toulouse the underfoot conditions were the same.
I'm worried now because these sort of conditions can be a real leveller.
A lot is going to depend on how well Sexton and McGrath manage the game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: I don't think Adam's defence is as bad as others do
I do. I hoenstly believe that if the guy tackeled he'd be starting for us and close to starting for Ireland.

As it is, i think hes our version of Gavin Henson.