Contract Season

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Contract Season

Postby mildlyinterested » December 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I thought i'd list the players likely out of contract this season, ages as of end of contract:

Confirmed out of contract:
Cian Healy(32) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jack McGrath(30) - Signed central 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Sean O'Brien(32) - Signed central 3 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Jonathan Sexton(34) - Signed central 4 yr contract until 2019 WC.
Robbie Henshaw(26) - Signed 3yr contract until 2019 WC.
Rob Kearney(33) - Signed central contract until 2019 WC.
Scott Fardy(34) - Signed 2 yr contract in 2017
Jamie Gibson Park(27) - Signed 3 yr contract in 2016

Signed contract in 2017:
Andrew Porter(23) - Signed contract in 2017
Ed Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Bryan Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Mick Kearney(28) - Signed contract in 2017
James Ryan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Jack Conan(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Dan Leavy(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Max Deegan(22) - Signed contract in 2017
Luke McGrath(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Ross Byrne(24) - Signed contract in 2017
Noel Reid(29) - Signed contract in 2017
Rory O'Loughlin(25) - Signed contract in 2017
Barry Daly(26) - Signed contract in 2017
Adam Byrne(25) - Signed contract in 2017

Leaving
Ian Nagle(30) - signed contract in 2017.
Nick McCarthy(24) - signed contract in 2017.

Haven't listed any players who may have signed a 1 year deal last season or academy players who only sign 1 year deals now, and of course some of the players listed above may have signed 3 year deals in 2017 meaning they aren't out of contract. But it's the best we are going to get at this time.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2404
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Contract Season

Postby Leinsterlunatic » December 4th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Interesting to see if we hold on to all of the above players.

Deegan and the Byrne brothers may look elsewhere for game-time, whoever's decision that may be.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm
 
Posts: 118
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 10:52 am

Re: Contract Season

Postby mildlyinterested » December 4th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Leinsterlunatic wrote:Interesting to see if we hold on to all of the above players.

Deegan and the Byrne brothers may look elsewhere for game-time, whoever's decision that may be.


Bryan would be a bit crazy to leave IMO.
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2404
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Contract Season

Postby Peg Leg » December 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm

There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8815
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Contract Season

Postby Oldschool » December 4th, 2018, 3:04 pm

Peg Leg wrote:There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.

Wouldn't be lumping RK and SOB together tbh.
RK is physically much more likely to be ABLE to continue playing after the RWC than SOB.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11138
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Contract Season

Postby curates_egg » December 4th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Peg Leg wrote:There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.


Was that "rule" on finishing your career in Ireland to avail of the tax break revoked in the end?
If so, you could see both of those looking for some sunny retirement pay cheques.
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Contract Season

Postby cormac » December 4th, 2018, 3:21 pm

curates_egg wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.


Was that "rule" on finishing your career in Ireland to avail of the tax break revoked in the end?
If so, you could see both of those looking for some sunny retirement pay cheques.


My understanding is that the player needs to retire in an EU country to avail of the tax break. Therefore the options might be a little more limited soon enough.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Contract Season

Postby curates_egg » December 4th, 2018, 3:24 pm

cormac wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.


Was that "rule" on finishing your career in Ireland to avail of the tax break revoked in the end?
If so, you could see both of those looking for some sunny retirement pay cheques.


My understanding is that the player needs to retire in an EU country to avail of the tax break. Therefore the options might be a little more limited soon enough.


Italeave?
User avatar
curates_egg
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: November 29th, 2011, 4:50 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Contract Season

Postby Peg Leg » December 4th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:There are a few there who we are going to have to pay for that have been on cc's that we are going to struggle to afford.
Questions over the ROI on the likes of RK and SOB if there is still a place for them on the international scene.

Wouldn't be lumping RK and SOB together tbh.
RK is physically much more likely to be ABLE to continue playing after the RWC than SOB.
Lumped together only in that Leinster branch haven't paid a wage to either in a long time
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8815
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Contract Season

Postby mildlyinterested » December 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Assume Sexton will be on a central until he retires, I wonder if they will pay up for both Healy/McGrath.

Henshaw surely on a central, do Ryan and Leavy join him?
mildlyinterested
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2404
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Contract Season

Postby Schumi » December 4th, 2018, 3:54 pm

cormac wrote:My understanding is that the player needs to retire in an EU country to avail of the tax break. Therefore the options might be a little more limited soon enough.

You have to be resident in Ireland or an EEA or EFTA country in the year of retirement. Someone in the UK could get around an issues simply enough by retiring early in the year and moving back to Ireland in time to be tax resident for the year.
User avatar
Schumi
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 378
Joined: December 18th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Re: Contract Season

Postby cormac » December 4th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Schumi wrote:
cormac wrote:My understanding is that the player needs to retire in an EU country to avail of the tax break. Therefore the options might be a little more limited soon enough.

You have to be resident in Ireland or an EEA or EFTA country in the year of retirement. Someone in the UK could get around an issues simply enough by retiring early in the year and moving back to Ireland in time to be tax resident for the year.


Didn't realise that was how it was operated. The definition on the revenue page is a little unclear on that issue.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax- ... index.aspx
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: Contract Season

Postby the spoofer » December 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
Leinsterlunatic wrote:Interesting to see if we hold on to all of the above players.

Deegan and the Byrne brothers may look elsewhere for game-time, whoever's decision that may be.


Bryan would be a bit crazy to leave IMO.


So would Deegan. Jack Conan hasn't exactly nailed 8 down like Jamie did so there's opportunity there.
User avatar
the spoofer
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 6:35 pm
Location: Leinster West


Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IanD, leinsterabu and 13 guests