Leinster V Bath Sat 15th Dec 17.30 BT Sport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

COYBIB
Enlightened

Re: Leinster V Bath Sat 15th Dec 17.30 BT Sport

Post by COYBIB »

cormac wrote:Munster's defeat tonight means that two wins* should be enough to claim a home quarter-final.

*there are some unlikely scenarios where we could win our two games but not top the group, e.g Toulouse pick up two bonus points in defeat at the RDS
The try bonus against Bath was crucial, now we're not chasing Toulouse and we don't have to worry about bonus points (as you say, other than some freak scenario of Toulouse picking up 2 BPs against us), two wins will put us on 23, likely get a home QF and a LBP to us and a TBP in their last game would put Toulouse on 23 also, but with a far inferior points difference.

Munster group will be the 5th ranked pool winner and will be away in both a QF and SF if that team should make it. Considering Munster were 3rd seeds, they got about as easy a group as you could hope for, Castres who never show up in Europe, Gloucester who are a very average team and Exeter who are a very good side but without much European pedigree and they've really sh*t the bed in trying to navigate it. I'd be pretty raging, I read Munsterfans and there were a couple of people complaining that they didn't get to choose Ross Byrne :lol:
Logorrhea wrote:Can I just say, I've been a big critic of Adam Byrne, but I thought he had a great game today.
I still just find him far to passive in contact, especially in defence. For a man of his size I think he could be a lot more physical, it's frustrating as certain aspects of his game are so good, he has the attributes you can't coach such as athleticism, pace and raw talent, but on the learned attributes of defence and putting himself about the place, the usual criticism of Byrne, I still think he has a lot to work on when compared to Lowe and Larmour in the back three.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

COYBIB wrote:I still just find him far to passive in contact, especially in defence. For a man of his size I think he could be a lot more physical, it's frustrating as certain aspects of his game are so good, he has the attributes you can't coach such as athleticism, pace and raw talent, but on the learned attributes of defence and putting himself about the place, the usual criticism of Byrne, I still think he has a lot to work on when compared to Lowe and Larmour in the back three.
Yeah, I like Byrne and I think he’s a decent back three option, but if you compare the progress Lowe has made in one season on his defence vs Byrne over the last 2.5 seasons, it’s pretty disappointing he hasn’t pushed on more.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

COYBIB wrote:
cormac wrote:Munster's defeat tonight means that two wins* should be enough to claim a home quarter-final.

*there are some unlikely scenarios where we could win our two games but not top the group, e.g Toulouse pick up two bonus points in defeat at the RDS
The try bonus against Bath was crucial, now we're not chasing Toulouse and we don't have to worry about bonus points (as you say, other than some freak scenario of Toulouse picking up 2 BPs against us), two wins will put us on 23, likely get a home QF and a LBP to us and a TBP in their last game would put Toulouse on 23 also, but with a far inferior points difference.
If we finish level on points with Toulouse at the end of the group it's our head-to-head record with them that will count and it's decided in the following order;

i) match points in the two matches
ii) aggregate points difference from the two matches
iii) most tries scored in the two games

It's only if the two teams are level on all three categories above that it would come down to total points difference in the group.

Given that Toulouse beat us 28-27 in the first match between the sides they lead 4-1 on match points and it's 3-3 on tries scored.

So, for us to win the head-to-head battle we require;

a) any victory which resulted in 5-0, 5-1 or 4-0 match points
b) a 4-1 or 5-2 match point win in which we scored at least two more points than them or beating them by one point and scoring more tries than them.

We'd lose the head-to-head if:
a) we lose or draw with them in January
b) we beat them 4-2 on match-points
c) we beat them 4-1 or 5-2 on match point but only beat them by a point and they score more tries than us.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

[/quote] Munster group will be the 5th ranked pool winner and will be away in both a QF and SF if that team should make it. Considering Munster were 3rd seeds, they got about as easy a group as you could hope for, Castres who never show up in Europe, Gloucester who are a very average team and Exeter who are a very good side but without much European pedigree and they've really sh*t the bed in trying to navigate it. I'd be pretty raging, I read Munsterfans and there were a couple of people complaining that they didn't get to choose Ross Byrne[/quote]

Just had a look at Munsterfans. It didnt take them long to turn on Carbery! No problem lads, send him back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Anyone know where you can get the full game online?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not up yet as far as I can see, but BT Sports highlights show is on now if that helps.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote:Not up yet as far as I can see, but BT Sports highlights show is on now if that helps.
Thanks.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://rugbylist.blogspot.com/

Register here and you can watch any game you want.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Keith wrote:Anyone know where you can get the full game online?
rugbylist.blogspot.de. You have to sign up by sending them your email adress. Once your in, and they send you a password, all games are there - for free and within usually 4-5 hours after the final whistle. My favourite website!!!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I was reasonably impressed with Bath despite the scoreline. The soft underbelly they had back when Leinster beat them in 2011 and when it was Mike Ford in charge is gone. They've got good physicality and technique in defence and around the breakdown. Blackadder's not top, top level as a coach, but he's given them a steel in their play that was lacking before.

You have to be happy with the resounding nature of the win. There were some moments of real quality from individuals and from the team as a whole. Byrne is almost unplayable in the air sometimes
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Appreciate that lads, thanks!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

riocard911 wrote:
Keith wrote:Anyone know where you can get the full game online?
rugbylist.blogspot.de. You have to sign up by sending them your email adress. Once your in, and they send you a password, all games are there - for free and within usually 4-5 hours after the final whistle. My favourite website!!!
thanks.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sorry for going OT, but how exactly does that site work? I've signed up but when you log in nothing happens? Do they need to send you something via email other than the registration confirmation link?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote:Sorry for going OT, but how exactly does that site work? I've signed up but when you log in nothing happens? Do they need to send you something via email other than the registration confirmation link?
if youve logged in try this: https://www.rugbylist.ws/LAST_30_DAY_vi ... itid1=2573
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Sorry for going OT, but how exactly does that site work? I've signed up but when you log in nothing happens? Do they need to send you something via email other than the registration confirmation link?
if youve logged in try this: https://www.rugbylist.ws/LAST_30_DAY_vi ... itid1=2573
Good stuff cheers.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

paddyor wrote:How was Dev not MOTM?
Dev was excellent, 20 tackles none missed. Dev is like a fine wine..
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Looking at some of the stuff that comes from down South, it's becoming obvious that the biggest obstacle that Leinster face is expectation.
Fans need to be careful not to become overly critical of players.
Robin Copeland alluded to the pressure put on players by what can only be described as unrealistic expectation.
As fans we need to be careful not to do the same to our players.
Overhyping any players is only setting them up for a fall.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Worth watching Ryan's carry on 44 mins.

A small thing, but it really epitomises him. Great line, footwork and yards after contact from a leg drive.

He's some specimen.

I'd love to know how he learned to pick such incredible running lines. That feels like something that you can learn but so few players, never mind second rows have that ability.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Twist wrote:
Munster group will be the 5th ranked pool winner and will be away in both a QF and SF if that team should make it. Considering Munster were 3rd seeds, they got about as easy a group as you could hope for, Castres who never show up in Europe, Gloucester who are a very average team and Exeter who are a very good side but without much European pedigree and they've really sh*t the bed in trying to navigate it. I'd be pretty raging, I read Munsterfans and there were a couple of people complaining that they didn't get to choose Ross Byrne[/quote]

Just had a look at Munsterfans. It didnt take them long to turn on Carbery! No problem lads, send him back

Yeah I saw a few of them turning on him over there, when it goes wrong they turn in the leinster lads first such as the shameful scenes with Keatly not so long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]