Leinster V Bath Sat 15th Dec 17.30 BT Sport

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster V Bath Sat 15th Dec 17.30 BT Sport

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I think if it’s between the two of them Lowe is more likely to make a difference this weekend though.
Very true. One of the things that seems to be troubling Leo is how much Girv knows and how he sets up Bath to defend against us. With both Lowe and Larmour you just can't prepare in the same way as you can to defend against the rest of the team because they both play what's in front of them so well.
I do wonder about all the credit Girve is getting for the weekend. Surely Bath's defense was based on huge work rate, having two international 7s on the pitch, slightly offside linespeed and us not being able to go wide because of conditions or go up the guts because Henshaw was missing. I'm not sure how much of a 'blueprint' Girve could've given, I think a lot of things fell in favour of Bath.

They definitely used their 13 to stop us being able to go wide too, and that was probably a Girve ploy, but does that work as well if we can get the usual ball speed we do in most games?

If they repeat the job this weekend then maybe that will be proven right, but I think with better weather and a better ruck performance from our guys they won't have as much success.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

According the the weather app on my phone, it’s due to be raining on Saturday. That said, it’s about as reliable as my match predictions. i.e. not very
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sh!t, Girve knows Irish rain inside out.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Bath have been horribly inconsistent for some time now. According to many last Saturday was their best performance for some time. I'd wonder about their ability to put in back-to-back performances and how that will affect them this weekend. On our side we need to start the match with more intensity. We've been on the back foot from the start in the last two away European games and we need to stop this pronto.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote:Bath have been horribly inconsistent for some time now. According to many last Saturday was their best performance for some time. I'd wonder about their ability to put in back-to-back performances and how that will affect them this weekend. On our side we need to start the match with more intensity. We've been on the back foot from the start in the last two away European games and we need to stop this pronto.
+1. The reigning champions have wobbled in their last ERCC two matches. A convincing performance is what's needed on Saturday. Hopefully the 16th man will do his bit!!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

artaneboy wrote:
carlow man wrote:Yeh rol is a better player than Reid. More to offer in attack and likelier to grab a try for himself.
I'm not sure that's the case on form. Reid has now had three very good matches in a row. At his best O'Loughlin may previously have performed to a higher standard, but not that high that I'd just drop a form player for him.

Reid is due his chance at 12 this week- and remember he reputed to be the best passer in the Leinster squad, so he offers a lot in linking play.
Apart from passing what does Reid offer as a 12. Ringrose could do a better job at 12 than Reid if rol went in at 13. Reid is a pro14 player but not at the level needed in big european games. It's only cos everyone else is injured that he had a run out last weekend. He did ok but ringrose ended up having to carry a lot more and still made yards. There isn't a lot between them size wise but Reid just can't carry ball and I'd much rather rory alongside Garry this weekend. Imo!!!
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

carlow man wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
carlow man wrote:Yeh rol is a better player than Reid. More to offer in attack and likelier to grab a try for himself.
I'm not sure that's the case on form. Reid has now had three very good matches in a row. At his best O'Loughlin may previously have performed to a higher standard, but not that high that I'd just drop a form player for him.

Reid is due his chance at 12 this week- and remember he reputed to be the best passer in the Leinster squad, so he offers a lot in linking play.
Apart from passing what does Reid offer as a 12. Ringrose could do a better job at 12 than Reid if rol went in at 13. Reid is a pro14 player but not at the level needed in big european games. It's only cos everyone else is injured that he had a run out last weekend. He did ok but ringrose ended up having to carry a lot more and still made yards. There isn't a lot between them size wise but Reid just can't carry ball and I'd much rather rory alongside Garry this weekend. Imo!!!
I don't like the idea of moving Gary to 12. 13 has much more defensive responsibility; and he excels at it. Rory is good; but for instance he sold himself badly for Mathesons try v Munster. Apparently Reid's tackle success ytd is 92% (mind you I'm not sure if tackles where you just about hang onto a lads legs after he breaks the gainline for a few metres count). Reid can be an elusive runner also. He had a job to do in Bath in awful conditions; and I think he did ok. It would be harsh to drop him. I think the backrow make-up is the bigger question. I don't think anyone disagrees with Conan nailed on at 8. After that for me it's Ruddock/VDF with Leavy benching. I think Fardy may lose out again. YR.NO had it pissin down Sat; but latest update is for a dry day --- Lowe needs to start and it would be too much of an ask I think for HOS in this pivotal game to be benching instead of PGTips.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

carlow man wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

I thought that Reider matched up pretty well against a genuine great of the last ten years, and in conditions that were loaded against his playing style. In attack he managed 20m off 6 carries and 5 defenders beaten - better than 3m/carry and he essentially beat a player every time he got the ball.

Roberts didn't make hay out of him either - the big Welshman had 10 carries for 18m and 1 defender beaten. I definitely see an argument for starting ROL next week, but I thought that Reider did a really reasonable job for us and was happy with his performance in what was one of the biggest games of his Leinster career.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Thought Reid did well v Bath, on that performance deserves another go, made yards and beat defenders and was solid defensively. Deffo no to moving Ringrose into 12, at 13 he is vital for us and world class.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

carlow man wrote:
artaneboy wrote:

His clever kick through off the turnover on 27 minutes essentially led to our first try. I can't see either Henshaw or ROL doing that.
He really positively surprised me in defence.
If Sexton is injured, I would be concerned if it was Byrne and Reid together, but - otherwise - I can see plenty of upsides to Reid retaining the jersey.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Regarding the Lowe, Fardy and JGP conundrum, Lowe should be the one to lose out imho.
Fardy is an enforcer and that's what we need for the rest of the HEC.
We need JGP to select due to injuries.
We can beat Bath and get a TBP on Saturday without Lowe so it's a chance to give someone else a run because we may well have no option in follow on games.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It'd be JGP for me, but it could be any of the three I'd say.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote:

"Fardy is an enforcer and that's what we need for the rest of the HEC."

I agree 100%. Think we also need him on the pitch as calming presence beside Johnny, playing the Isa role.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:sh!t, Girve knows Irish rain inside out.
Speaking of which, AccuWeather says it's going to be wet and windy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I thought Reid did well on Saturday. With Ringrose outside him I would back him again this week. You would hope we would have a lot more ball this week for a creative player like Reid to come into his own and maybe he can put in a performance like Eoin O'Malley did in the Bath game in Lansdowne in 2011 where he put in a MOM performance. It doesn't always work out the way I plan it in my head :lol: but I would be very hopeful this week.

I would have played Fardy last week and rested him this week now I think I would like to see RPG start this week, show our intent to move them around this week, not necessarily dropping Luke just a horses for courses change with how I think we might try and play, we beat them at their game last week let them come and try and beat us at ours this time. I think J-Lo has to start, big pitch him punching holes and off loading creating havoc, he tends to rise to an occasion and 40k+ fans will definitely help that imo.

Can't believe its only Tuesday!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Cokanisiga out now too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sounds like Mercer & Burns might be back, but losing Cokanasinga is a big blow to them.

https://www.bathrugby.com/news/injury-update-2/

Joseph still out too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:Sounds like Mercer & Burns might be back, but losing Cokanasinga is a big blow to them.

https://www.bathrugby.com/news/injury-update-2/

Joseph still out too.
God they have no luck at all.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
carlow man wrote:
artaneboy wrote: I'm not sure that's the case on form. Reid has now had three very good matches in a row. At his best O'Loughlin may previously have performed to a higher standard, but not that high that I'd just drop a form player for him.

His clever kick through off the turnover on 27 minutes essentially led to our first try. I can't see either Henshaw or ROL doing that.
He really positively surprised me in defence.
If Sexton is injured, I would be concerned if it was Byrne and Reid together, but - otherwise - I can see plenty of upsides to Reid retaining the jersey.
You’d be worried about Ross Byrne and Reid; seriously- why? Ross always seems very solid defensively to me- and his attack has become excellent too. Noel has been very good this season in defence- and his attacking has conversely been good since he started.

Or am I missing something there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Re Reid.
Had a good game, but listening to the commentary and watching the game again.
Reid didn't give us front foot ball the way somebody like Henshaw can give you in the conditions that prevailed.
Hard yards.
Last edited by Oldschool on December 11th, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.