As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » December 10th, 2018, 10:45 am

(slow day at work!) Based on the EPRC rules.... Here's how it stands after this weekend.

1 English team
2 French teams
5 pro 14 teams will make the quarter finals.

Saracens 14
Racing metro 14
Toulouse 12
Edinburgh 11
Munster 11
Leinster 10
Glasgow 10
Ulster 9
Which means... (quick Calc)
Saracens v Ulster
Racing v Glasgow
Toulouse v Leinster
Edinburgh v Munster
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » December 10th, 2018, 11:46 am

Challenge Cup

Clermont
La Rochelle
Sale
Ospreys
Benetton
Northampton
Worcester
Zebre

Clermont v Zebre
La Rochelle v Worcester
Sale v Northampton
Ospreys v Benetton
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby mildlyinterested » December 10th, 2018, 11:47 am

should be aiming for a home qf.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Serb » December 10th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I think we have a very good shot of winning our remaining three games, so hopefully we’ll be on 22 points minimum which should guarantee top 4 at least.

I think Saracens will go on and win their remaining games, so likely to be top seed imo (on 27 points is my guess). Racing also in a strong position although they have to go to both Ulster and Leicester. Think they’ll win at least two of their remaining three, putting them around 23 points.

So, if we are to have _any_ chance of a top seed spot, we basically need at least 14 from 15 points over the next 3 games imo.
Serb
Bookworm
 
Posts: 141
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » December 10th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Prediction at the halfway stage.
Saracens
Racing
Leinster
Munster
Edinburgh/Montpellier
Toulouse
Glasgow
Ulster

Saracens v Ulster
Racing v Glasgow
Leinster v Toulouse
Munster v Edinburgh/Montpelier.

Fourth and fifth seed placings are going to go down to the wire.
The rest, while not written in stone, looks more predictable.
Although 8th seed will also be a bit of a lottery too.

PS Don't know why my post is coming out double spaced,
it is typing in as single spacing, any hints?
WTF?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » December 10th, 2018, 1:54 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:should be aiming for a home qf.

I think we are looking good For home qf. Semi final rules sound like it's the top 2 seeds from the pool stages.... If they win their quarters get home advantage. I think.

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:
Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 4 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage


With both racing & Saracens looking good, points wise and unlikely to lose any more pool ganes.. We're looking at an away semi if we get past the qtrs.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby leinsterfan100 » December 10th, 2018, 6:10 pm

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:should be aiming for a home qf.

I think we are looking good For home qf. Semi final rules sound like it's the top 2 seeds from the pool stages.... If they win their quarters get home advantage. I think.

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:
Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 4 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home country advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home country advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home country advantage


With both racing & Saracens looking good, points wise and unlikely to lose any more pool ganes.. We're looking at an away semi if we get past the qtrs.


Racing and Saracens in a good position alright.

I don't think Racing will have it all their own way though. Leicester gave them a decent run yesterday and if they are any way up for the return leg at Welford Rd, they may give Racing a rattle. Likewise Ulster at Ravenhill in January. The place will be rocking if Ulster can manage to beat Scarlets again this weekend.

Saracens less likely to slip up I'd say although Cardiff have pulled off some big upsets in the past.

All we can do is focus on ourselves though I suppose!
User avatar
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 300
Joined: January 31st, 2009, 5:43 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » December 10th, 2018, 6:21 pm

leinsterfan100 wrote:
Racing and Saracens in a good position alright.

I don't think Racing will have it all their own way though. Leicester gave them a decent run yesterday and if they are any way up for the return leg at Welford Rd, they may give Racing a rattle. Likewise Ulster at Ravenhill in January. The place will be rocking if Ulster can manage to beat Scarlets again this weekend.

Saracens less likely to slip up I'd say although Cardiff have pulled off some big upsets in the past.

All we can do is focus on ourselves though I suppose!


Agreed. Saracens got hit last year with injuries in jan/feb and lost heavily to clermont at home and away iirc...only sneaked through to the quarters because ulster couldn't beat wasps.

here's hoping saracens or racing will slip up
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » January 6th, 2019, 10:37 am

current standings..

Racing 92 19
Saracens 18
Toulouse 17
Leinster 15
Edinburgh 15
Ulster 14
Glasgow 14
Munster 12
==================
Montpellier 11
Castres 9


Saracens are going through their annual dip in form...last year they lost home and away to clermont...even though Lyon are out of the competition here is hoping they do us a favour. ulster at home to racing is another chance of a slip up at the top allowing us to sneak through to a home semi. Toulouse are on form, but, I still fancy us to get a BP win in the RDS next week.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » January 13th, 2019, 12:16 pm

User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » January 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Wrong thread.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Grubber » January 14th, 2019, 2:56 am

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Saracens are going through their annual dip in form...last year they lost home and away to clermont...even though Lyon are out of the competition here is hoping they do us a favour. ulster at home to racing is another chance of a slip up at the top allowing us to sneak through to a home semi. Toulouse are on form, but, I still fancy us to get a BP win in the RDS next week.



For me this will be a nail biter, I'll be home from Canada sure the semi's and would love to catch a game at Aviva. If not ill be off to watch a Pro 14 up in Belfast :?

Looks like we may be able to sneak past Racing still, a BP next weekend against the pesky Wasps would be a huge help. If Saracens win and we were to finish tied on points with Racing we would get seed 2. It will be an interesting weekend of rugby next week.



Current Seeding:
(Pool leaders)
(1) Saracens 23
(2) Racing 21
(3) Leinster 20
(4) Edinburgh 19
(5) Munster 17

(6) Glasgow 19
(7) Ulster 18
(8) Toulouse 17
User avatar
Grubber
Beginner
 
Posts: 39
Joined: December 30th, 2018, 7:55 am
Location: Ontario/Dublin

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » January 14th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Oldschool wrote:Wrong thread.

oops. thanks for the heads up.

this is a duplicate thread to this: http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=25163
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 876
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Serb » January 14th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Grubber wrote:Looks like we may be able to sneak past Racing still, a BP next weekend against the pesky Wasps would be a huge help. If Saracens win and we were to finish tied on points with Racing we would get seed 2. It will be an interesting weekend of rugby next week.


Lucky for us, we’re the last game of the round so we’ll know before kick off if there’s a chance of second seed and what we need to get it.

I imagine if we’re in a position to make second seed, we’ll get the result we need.
Serb
Bookworm
 
Posts: 141
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Grubber » January 14th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Exactly Serb,

I hope we have some hope come Sunday and see a spectacular try ridden game. Plenty of incentive should we have the opportunity, I was just reading about the economics of it the other day and a home semi final at Aviva would be in region of 600- 700k extra income for the club which hasn't been budgeted for. Also the IRFU would get 300k for the rental and some proceeds from Leinsters cut. Maybe they would be more lenient to allow our top dogs play so close to the 6N.
User avatar
Grubber
Beginner
 
Posts: 39
Joined: December 30th, 2018, 7:55 am
Location: Ontario/Dublin

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Peg Leg » January 15th, 2019, 9:00 am

Grubber wrote:Exactly Serb,

I hope we have some hope come Sunday and see a spectacular try ridden game. Plenty of incentive should we have the opportunity, I was just reading about the economics of it the other day and a home semi final at Aviva would be in region of 600- 700k extra income for the club which hasn't been budgeted for. Also the IRFU would get 300k for the rental and some proceeds from Leinsters cut. Maybe they would be more lenient to allow our top dogs play so close to the 6N.
I'm pretty sure that sum is for a home qtr (in lansdowne). Gate for a semi goes to the England's Premiership Cash Reserve
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Grubber » January 16th, 2019, 2:25 am

Peg Leg,

You could be right. The few articles I was reading were from last year and if my memory serves me right they did only mention the QF's. I just assumed it would translate to the same for any playoff game hosted at Landsdowne Rd. Do you mind sharing where you found that information, I was enjoying the reading on the subject.

Cheers
User avatar
Grubber
Beginner
 
Posts: 39
Joined: December 30th, 2018, 7:55 am
Location: Ontario/Dublin

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » January 16th, 2019, 8:18 am

No income from Semi-final accrues to Leinster. Q/F income, net of stadium costs, is split between both Clubs but is worth a substantial amount to a winning home team. The real winners are the visiting team who get a fixed % of a much bigger gate, notwithstanding on how many supporters they bring.

A home Q/F will net Leinster about €650,000 if we win.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4147
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Grubber » January 16th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Thanks Ruckedtobits, Makes sense.
This is one of the articles I was reading from last year and I guess it was late as I missed the short paragraph on the semi's, was still a good read.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3731756
User avatar
Grubber
Beginner
 
Posts: 39
Joined: December 30th, 2018, 7:55 am
Location: Ontario/Dublin

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Lar » January 16th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:No income from Semi-final accrues to Leinster. Q/F income, net of stadium costs, is split between both Clubs but is worth a substantial amount to a winning home team. The real winners are the visiting team who get a fixed % of a much bigger gate, notwithstanding on how many supporters they bring.

A home Q/F will net Leinster about €650,000 if we win.


Leinster may not benefit from semi-final matchday income but surely they benefit prizemoney wise for reaching a semi-final and even more so if they win it.

Also a home Leinster semi-final must also benefit the IRFU as presumably the EPCR have to pay for the use of Lansdowne and some of this has to trickle back to Leinster if they are team that has caused the semi final to be played in Dublin.

Or do I have some of this wrong?
Four Stars
User avatar
Lar
Mullet
 
Posts: 1666
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests