As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » January 22nd, 2019, 4:05 pm

blockhead wrote:
carlow man wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Earls, Conway, Carbery, Murray. Those lads are as skillful as anyone out there. The other lads aren't too bad either. Felix Jones, he's out of his depth.


Carbery is but not the others. We know why that is. I've yet to see a backline move from Munster where I've sat and thought 'that was class'.


Come on man. Keith Earls is a fantastic player, world class winger. Conway, is now putting in displays that he had promised when he was a youngster. Murray, just about the best scrum half in the world. Sweetman, Farrell, Scanell are not half bad either. Gameplan/poor coaching are restricting their play. Can you imagine what Lancaster could do with those lads.

Make something of them?
Just as well that Jocifora can't tell Stuart where to report.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Peg Leg » January 22nd, 2019, 6:58 pm

Who gives a fuk how they're doing it? They're winning "the TPFKAM: way, we're winning "The Leinster way", so everyone's delighted, no?
Ulster are the snake in the grass hrre folks, we'll talk winningest when we meet with some silverware at stake.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Laighin Break » January 24th, 2019, 10:57 am

carlow man wrote:It's rugby from the dark ages. The only backline move they created against us came from a mistake. Earls taking a pass that was meant for carbery. Munster don't have the skillset or the gameplan from the coaches to produce it. Every time they are up against it they just kick and chase. And somehow people think this makes them one of the top sides in Europe. They may aswell not have a backs coach as they just feed off mistakes from the opposition and turnover ball then try to spin it wide for conway to either chase a grubber or hope that he finds a bit of space to run past his marker. It would be a joke if they ended up getting to the final and god forbid they won it. We would never hear the end of it!


Pro14 and European semi-finalists last year, topped their Heineken Cup pool and topping their conference this year. Of course they're one of the top teams in Europe.
User avatar
Laighin Break
Enlightened
 
Posts: 899
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby mildlyinterested » January 24th, 2019, 11:03 am

Leinster lost last time they faced Munster, they can lose again. They are very much a threat to us, thanks to their imports from Leinster they are much stronger than last season.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » January 24th, 2019, 6:27 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster lost last time they faced Munster, they can lose again. They are very much a threat to us, thanks to their imports from Leinster they are much stronger than last season.


on paper, yeah. in reality leinster down to 14 looked the more likely to win up until the intercept. leinster imports (and Beirne in particular) have made a diff, but, I think they are struggling with building any sort of backline threat...they miss zebo and are doing really well despite that. Not sure if they would have the nous to beat saracens if they get past edinburgh. I reckon munster fans, who know their rugby, will see a semi final place as a huge achievement for munster this season, they are buliding nicely but I think if we met them again this season it wouldn't be much of a contest.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 827
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby johng » January 24th, 2019, 8:17 pm

That's how Munster fans felt 10 years ago
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17742
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby hugonaut » January 24th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Laighin Break wrote:
carlow man wrote:It's rugby from the dark ages. The only backline move they created against us came from a mistake. Earls taking a pass that was meant for carbery. Munster don't have the skillset or the gameplan from the coaches to produce it. Every time they are up against it they just kick and chase. And somehow people think this makes them one of the top sides in Europe. They may aswell not have a backs coach as they just feed off mistakes from the opposition and turnover ball then try to spin it wide for conway to either chase a grubber or hope that he finds a bit of space to run past his marker. It would be a joke if they ended up getting to the final and god forbid they won it. We would never hear the end of it!


Pro14 and European semi-finalists last year, topped their Heineken Cup pool and topping their conference this year. Of course they're one of the top teams in Europe.


... and Pro14 finalists and European semi-finalists the year previous to that as well [2016-17]. Serious team.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » January 24th, 2019, 8:40 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster lost last time they faced Munster, they can lose again. They are very much a threat to us, thanks to their imports from Leinster they are much stronger than last season.

True but still wouldn't be working ourselves into a lather.
Saracens and Racing would be far tougher nuts to crack.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » January 24th, 2019, 8:41 pm

johng wrote:That's how Munster fans felt 10 years ago

Ten years later and Munster still haven't moved on.
We have, by a lot.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby johng » January 24th, 2019, 8:42 pm

hugonaut wrote:
Laighin Break wrote:
carlow man wrote:It's rugby from the dark ages. The only backline move they created against us came from a mistake. Earls taking a pass that was meant for carbery. Munster don't have the skillset or the gameplan from the coaches to produce it. Every time they are up against it they just kick and chase. And somehow people think this makes them one of the top sides in Europe. They may aswell not have a backs coach as they just feed off mistakes from the opposition and turnover ball then try to spin it wide for conway to either chase a grubber or hope that he finds a bit of space to run past his marker. It would be a joke if they ended up getting to the final and god forbid they won it. We would never hear the end of it!


Pro14 and European semi-finalists last year, topped their Heineken Cup pool and topping their conference this year. Of course they're one of the top teams in Europe.


... and Pro14 finalists and European semi-finalists the year previous to that as well [2016-17]. Serious team.

Pro 12 champs in fairness
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17742
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby johng » January 24th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Oldschool wrote:
johng wrote:That's how Munster fans felt 10 years ago

Ten years later and Munster still haven't moved on.
We have, by a lot.

Some of our fans haven't.
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17742
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby paddyor » January 25th, 2019, 12:39 am

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:on paper, yeah. in reality leinster down to 14 looked the more likely to win up until the intercept. leinster imports (and Beirne in particular) have made a diff, but, I think they are struggling with building any sort of backline threat...they miss zebo and are doing really well despite that. Not sure if they would have the nous to beat saracens if they get past edinburgh. I reckon munster fans, who know their rugby, will see a semi final place as a huge achievement for munster this season, they are buliding nicely but I think if we met them again this season it wouldn't be much of a contest.

This was the nadir

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015%E2%80%9316_Pro12_transfers#Munster

Since then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2016%E2%80%9317_Pro12_transfers#Munster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2017%E2%80%9318_Pro14_transfers#Munster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2018%E2%80%9319_Pro14_transfers#Munster

It's built. Squad hasn't been that strong in a long time. The tight 5 is a serious unit, they've back up at 9 & 10 and they've decent back up centres. Losing Zebo and Ryan(at his age) is more than offset by Haley, Mathewson, Carbery, Botha & Beirne.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
paddyor
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 6th, 2019, 12:33 pm

a lot of rugby before May but am hoping for a saracens v leinster final in newcastle now after that loss on saturday to england.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 827
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby LeinsterLeader » February 6th, 2019, 1:57 pm

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:a lot of rugby before May but am hoping for a saracens v leinster final in newcastle now after that loss on saturday to england.

Well one good thing about Saturday, for the Leinster players, is that it was a good lesson in not becoming to complacent (if a lesson was necessary). I'm sure Ulster would like to see themselves in the role of "England" for this match anyway.
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby mildlyinterested » February 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm

i'm more worried about getting leinster players back intact from ireland.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby LeinsterLeader » February 6th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Come on Mildly. Help me to help you :D

Image
User avatar
LeinsterLeader
Mullet
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 8:51 pm

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby MylesNaGapoleen » February 13th, 2019, 9:37 pm

well....lets see how the saracens lads pan out in the rest of the 6N. We have lost toner and maybe a few others. Here is hoping we don't lose more
before the 6N started I would have been happy with a top 2, fifth star and a pro 14. it is still on...but..injuries are stacking up.
User avatar
MylesNaGapoleen
Enlightened
 
Posts: 827
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 11:04 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby mildlyinterested » February 13th, 2019, 9:43 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:Come on Mildly. Help me to help you :D

Image


toner gone already.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3483
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby johng » February 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm

He'll be back before mako
User avatar
johng
Jamie Heaslip
 
Posts: 17742
Joined: March 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm
Location: Behind You!!

Re: As it stands - Heineken cup 2019

Postby Oldschool » February 13th, 2019, 10:48 pm

LeinsterLeader wrote:Come on Mildly. Help me to help you :D

Image

None of them negative waves!
There's gold around here somewhere.
Or is it silver?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], Conormc, Google [Bot], hugonaut, IanD, Logorrhea, riocard911, SemrushBot [Bot] and 9 guests