Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

Post by artaneboy »

janeymac08 wrote:I wonder is the reason for Leinster really poor discipline down to the fact that the Leinster Branch have no professional refs in its ranks and to be readily available to take training sessions with the teams. John Lacey does that with Munster.

Now that I think of it, why is Leinster so poor at developing referees? Six of the 7 pro refs are Munster Branch refs. The seventh is from Ulster. Maybe the Leinster Branch could get the finger out :wink:
This is the same Leinster that only had one yellow card until this match?

Maybe it just had to do with the fact that they were playing Munster in Thomand Park- eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
COYBIB wrote:Missed the last line I take it? Thanks for the throwback to 2003 by the way! I always say, memes are the highest form of wit!
No unfortunately I took it all in!
The only downside to your permanent ban from other rugby board sites, eh? ;)
Ah dude you can do better than that surely! That one didn't even make sense!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The thing about the Lowe red, and any number of incidents like it, is that the game sets people up for it to happen - even when they're trying to play the game completely legally. The 'he should have got off the ground' crowd aren't taking into account the nuances of the physics of the situation, in my view. There are exceptions, of course, but in the vast majority of these mid-air collisions, it's the chaser from the team that kicked the ball that gets in trouble. It seems to me that there's a reason for this. If the ball is flying away from you, you have to get a bit of length in your jump to collect it cleanly, whereas if you're the receiver, if you've got good timing, you can focus more on getting height in your jump and letting the ball come to you. Two players trying to play the game fairly, and one is almost set up to get penalised by the trajectory of the ball.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems wrong that you can get red for playing the game, but only get penalized for deliberately and maliciously tackling someone in the air if they don't fall dangerously
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

leinsterforever wrote:The thing about the Lowe red, and any number of incidents like it, is that the game sets people up for it to happen - even when they're trying to play the game completely legally. The 'he should have got off the ground' crowd aren't taking into account the nuances of the physics of the situation, in my view. There are exceptions, of course, but in the vast majority of these mid-air collisions, it's the chaser from the team that kicked the ball that gets in trouble. It seems to me that there's a reason for this. If the ball is flying away from you, you have to get a bit of length in your jump to collect it cleanly, whereas if you're the receiver, if you've got good timing, you can focus more on getting height in your jump and letting the ball come to you. Two players trying to play the game fairly, and one is almost set up to get penalised by the trajectory of the ball.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems wrong that you can get red for playing the game, but only get penalized for deliberately and maliciously tackling someone in the air if they don't fall dangerously
Interesting to read the wording of the law in that light:
“The referee showed the player a red card under Law 9.17 – A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground., "
So which one did Lowe do? He didn't tackle him, charge him, pull him, push him or grasp him. He occupied the space where he would have landed, leading to a dangerous fall. So yeah its both unlucky and dangerous, but which one does he get done for? A charge would be the closest I guess,
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote:https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 3517649920

It's fairly clear Sexton does something. Looks like he drops the knee into Carbery.
Would need another angle to confirm but it does not look good.
Looks like a titty twister.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dexter wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:The thing about the Lowe red, and any number of incidents like it, is that the game sets people up for it to happen - even when they're trying to play the game completely legally. The 'he should have got off the ground' crowd aren't taking into account the nuances of the physics of the situation, in my view. There are exceptions, of course, but in the vast majority of these mid-air collisions, it's the chaser from the team that kicked the ball that gets in trouble. It seems to me that there's a reason for this. If the ball is flying away from you, you have to get a bit of length in your jump to collect it cleanly, whereas if you're the receiver, if you've got good timing, you can focus more on getting height in your jump and letting the ball come to you. Two players trying to play the game fairly, and one is almost set up to get penalised by the trajectory of the ball.

Interesting to read the wording of the law in that light:
“The referee showed the player a red card under Law 9.17 – A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground., "
So which one did Lowe do? He didn't tackle him, charge him, pull him, push him or grasp him. He occupied the space where he would have landed, leading to a dangerous fall. So yeah its both unlucky and dangerous, but which one does he get done for? A charge would be the closest I guess,
He charged him - ran right into him, taking him out in the air
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Laighin Break wrote:
Dexter wrote: Interesting to read the wording of the law in that light:
He charged him - ran right into him, taking him out in the air
That's what I said, a charge would be the closest thing to what he did. The way you phrase it makes it sound intentional though, which it obviously wasn't.
Dont Panic!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

wixfjord wrote:
Ah dude you can do better than that surely! That one didn't even make sense!
The upside being no one has to read your rubbish anywhere else, the downside being this is your final little bridge to troll under, so you're here ad nausea posting your sh*te and silly little pictures. Try to keep up dear boy.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

just popped into munsterfans.com to see fan reaction...most are pulling their hair out because, apart from an intercept try against 14, they probably would have lost...the general gist is that this munster win against leinster is up there with the win against the all blacks in 1978!!

Interesting to see what happens should we meet in the playoffs for the pro14!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:just popped into munsterfans.com to see fan reaction...most are pulling their hair out because, apart from an intercept try against 14, they probably would have lost...the general gist is that this munster win against leinster is up there with the win against the all blacks in 1978!!

Munster's best chance of winning something would be if they came up against Leinster, I reckon. The whole derby element can be a real leveller
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

leinsterforever wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:just popped into munsterfans.com to see fan reaction...most are pulling their hair out because, apart from an intercept try against 14, they probably would have lost...the general gist is that this munster win against leinster is up there with the win against the all blacks in 1978!!

Munster's best chance of winning something would be if they came up against Leinster, I reckon. The whole derby element can be a real leveller
-1+1 I reckon we'd level then alright. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

If we run into them again in the playoffs (either comp) Leinster will win end of story. That was a real freak of a game down in Thomond. Can't see Munster winning anything again this year, looks likely we could meet them in PRO 14 semi (depends on how Glasgow do for the rest of this year) and we will beat them at home I have no doubt. In the Champions Cup they are likely to have to beat at least one if not two of Leinster, Saracens, Racing 92 and can't see it happening. (And they still have work to do to get out of their pool - lose to Gloucester away and it's going to be very hairy for them).

One swallow does not make a summer no matter how much C**p is on Munsterfans - they simply don't have the quality.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

tomthefan wrote:Any sign of Deco?
Howdy Tom. I've been a bit sick since the match, but a good win for you guys. Enjoy the bragging rights.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

deco wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Any sign of Deco?
Howdy Tom. I've been a bit sick since the match, but a good win for you guys. Enjoy the bragging rights.
They came close to hosting a parade I heard. It meant that much to them.
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

I haven't heard anyone in the company I keep suggesting anything like a parade or comparing it to the 78 All Blacks game (still have my program from that game ) .It was a one match in a long season, a very important match , but if we don't use the momentum from the match over the next few weeks it will be a wasted effort.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

RAILWAY1 wrote:I haven't heard anyone in the company I keep suggesting anything like a parade or comparing it to the 78 All Blacks game (still have my program from that game ) .
Didn't I see you in the GPO in 1916 too?
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

small bit too young for that gig :D :D
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

curates_egg wrote:
RAILWAY1 wrote:I haven't heard anyone in the company I keep suggesting anything like a parade or comparing it to the 78 All Blacks game (still have my program from that game ) .
Didn't I see you in the GPO in 1916 too?
:-)
... and that first U2 concert in the Dandelion Market?

If there was a play and umpteen articles in the ‘78 match- there’s a trilogy and TV miniseries in last week’s match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
RAILWAY1
Learner

Post by RAILWAY1 »

It was one of the rare occasions that I didn't get to Thomond Park for the match but was at my niece's wedding and watched it on tv with a grand bunch of lads from Navan . There was no quarter asked or given in the good natured slagging before , during or after the match as it should be
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

How would the open top bus get from Limerick to Cape Town?