Wasps v Leinster, Jan 20th - 3:15pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Wasps v Leinster, Jan 20th - 3:15pm

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote:Ulster in Dublin should be a good one, unfortunately if we win it will be a tough semi most likely in London or France away
Won't be in London anyway.

If Toulouse win, would be in the Aviva.
If Racing win, would be in a neutral venue in France. Knowing Racing it could be anywhere, possibly Nice or Bordeaux where they've played before.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Really I thought if Toulouse win they get home country semi
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
Theleinsterlad wrote:Ulster in Dublin should be a good one, unfortunately if we win it will be a tough semi most likely in London or France away
Won't be in London anyway.

If Toulouse win, would be in the Aviva.
If Racing win, would be in a neutral venue in France. Knowing Racing it could be anywhere, possibly Nice or Bordeaux where they've played before.
The Nigels got that one wrong as well. Yippee.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote:Really I thought if Toulouse win they get home country semi
No that has changed this year, highest seed gets home advantage.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Will be interesting to see if JGP gets a good run of games now and McGrath's return is in any delayed could he start for the semi.

He was brilliant today. Kicked really well and controlled the game.

There's an argument that against a team like Ulster where we'll have possible forward dominance he'd be the better shout.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpjowlU_lw0

Post match chat

Really impressed with Dave Kearney over the last 2 weeks. I'll admit that I was worried when I saw his name on the teamsheet last week. He was the forgotten man among the Larmour's, Lowe, and Byrne's.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
etak252
Learner

Post by etak252 »

Yes Dave Kearney seems to have got a bit of confidence and has looked good in last 2 games. So has Adam Byrne in fairness albeit Wasps last try was a very soft try down his wing.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

This was a cracking try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsyqhbkBEI

Deegan has had some great cameos coming on this season in fairness to him.

Reid has proven his worth again too.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Healy was a beast for that try, I’d say he was well tempted to attempt the offload to Porter too but did well to realise that Porter was under pressure. Good power and hands from Deegan.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote:I take back that SOB commentary! Looking like he never left!

We're pretty comfortable overall.

Adam Byrne giving Daly a few nightmares is fun to watch.
Plus one on both of these.
Very positively surprised with SOB. Looked very fit.
Adam Byrne looks back at the peak of his mojo.
Delighted to eat humble pie on any previous opinions to the contrary.

Ringrose was savage again.

Surprised how much of an effort Wasps made in the second half.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That was a competent performance in the first half against a team who only showed any passion when they had possession. Unlike Exeter, their defence had no venom until the 2nd half when they tackled more aggressively. Certainly, Wasps did not play like a team that believed they could beat us.

Our front five players were excellent. Ruddock and SO'B were strong and aggressive going forward. JVdF was quiet by his standards. JGP's passing and distribution was good and quick. Ross B gave a curate's egg performance but both centres looked comfortable together with Ringrose looking on the verge of greatness. Both wings are re-gaining full confidence but Larmour made too many defensive mistakes to instill belief when he's wearing the No 15 jersey.

The standards we have established are now so high that when we slip below them, it appears as if we are unjustly critical - but that's one of the burdens of greatness and Leinster are close to that adjective.

Really pleased with this campaign so far and now hoping that Toulouse will travel in strength and with full support to the Arena in La Defence to do a number on Racing 92. Ulster will be tougher than many expect and will have improved further by April, but so will we, and IMO, we'll have too much in our attack for their defence. A semifinal against Toulouse in Dublin would suit me just fine.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Any word on Jack, that didn’t look a planned sub. He was clearly in some discomfort when he went off and Healy got stripped down pretty shapish, too early to be tactical also.

Are we gonna be allowed to have a home semi in the Aviva again, scarlets kicked up a fuss last time and I’m fairness to them if racing go to Bordeaux and about the place in France we should probably do the same.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Jonny tight lips wrote: Are we gonna be allowed to have a home semi in the Aviva again, scarlets kicked up a fuss last time and I’m fairness to them if racing go to Bordeaux and about the place in France we should probably do the same.
You’re kidding! Why would we reduce our potential revenue take and our playing advantage by going “about the place” to play this? If it happens, and the odds have to be on playing Racing in France, we should do what advantageous us.

All that whining from Scarlets was ridiculous. If Scarlets had a larger stadium on their front door, you can be sure that they’d use it when it suited. If their fellow Welsh club Cardiff were any good, we’d be playing them in the Millennium Stadium when the crowd size suited it.

And just where would we go to get a large enough place? Thomand, Croker, Pairc Ui Caoimh? None of those would work in size; too small or too big. That’s based on the assumption that we have the call on this. I’d say the IRFU (our owners- remember) will decide this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Can you imagine playing Toulouse down in TP?
It would be like a home game for the french.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

artaneboy wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote: Are we gonna be allowed to have a home semi in the Aviva again, scarlets kicked up a fuss last time and I’m fairness to them if racing go to Bordeaux and about the place in France we should probably do the same.
You’re kidding! Why would we reduce our potential revenue take and our playing advantage by going “about the place” to play this? If it happens, and the odds have to be on playing Racing in France, we should do what advantageous us.

All that whining from Scarlets was ridiculous. If Scarlets had a larger stadium on their front door, you can be sure that they’d use it when it suited. If their fellow Welsh club Cardiff were any good, we’d be playing them in the Millennium Stadium when the crowd size suited it.

And just where would we go to get a large enough place? Thomand, Croker, Pairc Ui Caoimh? None of those would work in size; too small or too big. That’s based on the assumption that we have the call on this. I’d say the IRFU (our owners- remember) will decide this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not suggesting we should volunteer this, I’m just suggesting that it might not be allowed by ERPC. Leave the scarlets alone, they had a point in fairness.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It'll be allowed. There is no other suitable venue available. It was the same in 2011 and last year.

Thought we shouldn't really be talking about this, there is the not inconsiderable matter of a local derby in the quarter final to overcome first, and Irish local derbys in Europe are unpredictable, at best.
I have Bumbleflex
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

curates_egg wrote:

Adam Byrne was responsible for Wasps third try. He didn't trust ROL inside him to make the tackle and left Watson unmarked to score. I'm a huge fan, but this is the sort of thing that drives Joe Schmidt mad. You have to trust the system. Porter's failure for the second try is another example.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

D4surfer wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Adam Byrne was responsible for Wasps third try. He didn't trust ROL inside him to make the tackle and left Watson unmarked to score. I'm a huge fan, but this is the sort of thing that drives Joe Schmidt mad. You have to trust the system. Porter's failure for the second try is another example.
That's fair. But defensive brainfarts were there at the peak of his mojo. Over the previous 18 months, he had no mojo but also defensive brainfarts.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

curates_egg wrote:That's fair. But defensive brainfarts were there at the peak of his mojo. Over the previous 18 months, he had no mojo but also defensive brainfarts.
I've just watched the highlights here: https://www.epcrugby.com/video/highligh ... r-rugby-2/

In fairness to Adam Byrne, Wasps had a 3 on 2 and he had to cover 2 men. It was Ringrose, not ROL who got across very quickly and tackled the 2nd Wasps man as Adam was also committed to tackling him.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Valuable training lessons for Byrne and Porter - both culpable and better there yesterday than in a Euro Qtr or further on.

Porter I can guarantee you won't take his eyes off a scrummie ever again - that'll be endlessly on video loop this morning with Leocaster pointing it out.

Bring on the wee men from up North........can't wait. Just hope the 6 Nations injury toll is manageable.....