Leinster Hookers in 2019

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Hookers in 2019

Post by mildlyinterested »

flustered wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Project Hooker at underage rugby has some interesting prospects:

Leinster U19
Luke Thompson(Wicklow/Lansdowne) - converted backrow
Mark Nicholson(Wicklow)
Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
Ethan Baxter(St. Gerards/Old Belvedere) - converted backrow

Leinster U18
Lee Barron(St. Michaels)
Levi Vaughan(Terenure) - converted prop
Hugo Fitzgerald(Gonzaga)
Scott Barron(Blackrock) - converted prop
Oh those mildly who would you think has good prspects? How is Thompson getting on in Lansdowne do you know?
At under-19 level, the appearance of John McKee has complicated matters.
Havent heard anything on Thompson or Nicholson.
Sheehan has been playing AIL for UCD at 18, which has been interesting, wait and see how he progresses.
Baxter i'd have rated highly but not sure how he is getting on with Belvo, think he might be back playing 7 for their 20's.
Given McKee, all 4 I listed may face an uphill battle for an academy place.

At under-18 level, L Barron looks like a serious prospect, with Vaughan and Fitzgerald both pretty good prospects who have been involved with Ireland u18 this season.
Scott Barron is u17, but has a very big reputation from JCT level and is one to watch out for this season for Rock.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:At under-18 level, L Barron looks like a serious prospect, with Vaughan and Fitzgerald both pretty good prospects who have been involved with Ireland u18 this season.
Scott Barron is u17, but has a very big reputation from JCT level and is one to watch out for this season for Rock.
Fitzgerald is a very smart and athletic footballer who has also played backrow up to JCT. Excellent application. I just don't think he will ever have the size to seriously go for it. The frrame is not big enough and neither are the genes.

For me, Barron is one of these schoolboys destined to have a big rep and peak early because they are good but also because they mature earlier than their peers and then they level off and the gang catches up. Finally,even more than Fitzgerald, its not in his genes for him to be near big enough in my opinion.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:At under-18 level, L Barron looks like a serious prospect, with Vaughan and Fitzgerald both pretty good prospects who have been involved with Ireland u18 this season.
Fitzgerald is a very smart and athletic footballer who has also played backrow up to JCT. Excellent application. I just don't think he will ever have the size to seriously go for it. The frrame is not big enough and neither are the genes.

For me, Barron is one of these schoolboys destined to have a big rep and peak early because they are good but also because they mature earlier than their peers and then they level off and the gang catches up. Finally,even more than Fitzgerald, its not in his genes for him to be near big enough in my opinion.
which Barron?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Sorry Scott.

Lee Barron's genes are fairly tall (6ft+), but not of the chunky variety. Ironically, Lee has an uncle named Scott (a former Irish tennis international & Olympian) . Strangely, for such a rare name and South Dublin proximity, I don't think these two Barron families are related.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I think you are placing far too much store in genes, but we shall wait and see how they develop.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Levi Vaughan (Terenure)

How did the Carmelites let him slip through their finger and allow him to play rugby?
Last edited by OTT on January 10th, 2019, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:Levi Vaughan (Terenure)

How did the Carmelites let him slip through their finger and play rugby?
some rugby is still played out that direction, just about.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:I think you are placing far too much store in genes, but we shall wait and see how they develop.
The apple rarely falls far from the tree. I think 2 of the 3 have genes that will stunt their progression. Lee Barron is better set in that regard.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Kelleher is Hannibal for the game against Munster.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:I think you are placing far too much store in genes, but we shall wait and see how they develop.
The apple rarely falls far from the tree. I think 2 of the 3 have genes that will stunt their progression. Lee Barron is better set in that regard.
Are you collecting hair samples or taking swabs?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

At under-19 level, the appearance of John McKee has complicated matters.
Havent heard anything on Thompson or Nicholson.
Sheehan has been playing AIL for UCD at 18, which has been interesting, wait and see how he progresses.
Baxter i'd have rated highly but not sure how he is getting on with Belvo, think he might be back playing 7 for their 20's.
Given McKee, all 4 I listed may face an uphill battle for an academy place.

At under-18 level, L Barron looks like a serious prospect, with Vaughan and Fitzgerald both pretty good prospects who have been involved with Ireland u18 this season.
Scott Barron is u17, but has a very big reputation from JCT level and is one to watch out for this season for Rock.[/quote]

I know Nicholson has been playing senior rugby in Wicklow both at hooker and in the backrow and doing quite well while concentrating on the leaving cert, will be interesting where he goes after this. Thompson has been doing well from what I hear, the more experience he gets in the position the better, constantly working on his throwing.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Academy Hooker Dan Sheehan
Show Spoiler:
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 23rd, 2019, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Pretty honest interview with James Tracy:
https://www.the42.ie/james-tracy-leinst ... 1-Jan2019/
Fair play to him.

I can't understand how he is still making the bench ahead of Byrne to be honest. He seems to come on and lose at least one lineout in every match. I know there are always lots of factors, but it seems to happen every game with him, which makes you think he is definitely a factor. On top of that, Byrne has been offering lots around the park.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

how many games has BB played in europe in his career?

I think it's only 2, both last season.

edit: In fact BB only has 6 starts in his entire leinster career.

Tracy has more starts this season(8) than Byrne has in his entire career.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Hopefully Ronan Kelleher gets to make his debut over the 6 nations.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:how many games has BB played in europe in his career?

I know. That is my point.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote:

There is obviously a reason why Tracy remains clearly ahead of Byrne in the coaches eyes.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

There is obviously a reason why Tracy remains clearly ahead of Byrne in the coaches eyes.
Interesting topic, Mildly. Like a good few of this board, I've seen all four hookers in action a number of times since the pre-season. The thing that strikes me, when I think about it dispassionately, is that the established pecking order is bang on the money.

Cronin is miles ahead of everyone. James Tracy doesn't have many specific fans on the board, but has played in 17 of 19 competitive games this season, more than any other member of the squad. I was looking for Bryan Byrne to get a start against Connacht - and he did, and didn't impress. He wasn't the only one that day [in the first half especially], but as far as moving up the depth chart goes, he got a chance and didn't take it.

I'm a fan of Kelleher, who I believe has a very high ceiling ... but in the Celtic Cup games, Bryan Byrne was little short of a phenom. He looked great at that level, far more effective than Kelleher. Now he's got five years on Kelleher, but there was no contest.

I think Cro has lots left to give. He's having an outstanding season, and looks in incredible nick. If you told me he was 29 and not 32 I'd believe you ... so I reckon that he has three good years left in him, taking him to 35/36 years old. Kelleher is programmed for Academy 2 this season [18-19], Academy 3 next season [19-20], Development/Senior the following season [20-21] ... so it could all end up fitting together quite neatly.

Tracy and Byrne are useful players, but not sufficiently good to be talent blockers who would make somebody that we'd prefer to keep up sticks and move [like Mads to Bordeaux, Jordi to Ulster, Conway/Carbery to Munster]. Personally speaking, I would identify them as being in the Michael Bent bracket – if somebody really talented emerges [Furlong, then Porter], the younger player gets the selection push and there's a swop on the depth chart. But Bent is still a solid option and not a guy any reasonable supporter has a problem seeing selected in matchday squads throughout the season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Can't disagree with much there, have you seen much of Dan Sheehan Hugo?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Think there’s any chance we might take on a NIQ post World Cup? Really feels like it’s the main area of weakness for us.