Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

Post by mildlyinterested »

ronk wrote:Kearney has been a great of the game and has achieved more than almost anyone in Irish rugby.

He gets a lot of stick anyway, what chance do his successors have?
Considering how seamlessly he replaced Girve, Leinster have been spoiled..

Still whoever claims the 1st choice 15 jersey post Kearney should be aiming to win a lot of Irish caps etc.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:Kearney has been a great of the game and has achieved more than almost anyone in Irish rugby.

Every chance so long as they're are not playing for Leinster.
Heaslip is a similar case in point. Another great, peerless in Ireland and further afield but still got the"treatment".
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

There’s no “almost” about it, he’s achieved more than anyone in Irish rugby.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Saw a clip of Andy Dunne and Murray Kinsella talking about if Lowe would be a starter for Ireland. That got me thinking and the idea of Stockdale at fullback and Lowe on the wing is really exciting, and they would also be two of the biggest left boots in world rugby.

I forgot about Stockdale when I mentioned Henshaw as a possibility for fullback the other day, think I'd like to invest in Jacob after the World Cup, and if it works out then obviously that might impact Leinster.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:Jimmy O'Brien selected to start at 15 again, thought he went well there in his first appearance there recently.

Underage 10/12, whose body type doesn't really fit at centre in pro rugby, thought a move to the back three might have been trialed earlier.
Do you think? He's a similar sort of size to Eoin O'Malley. I think he's a good foil for Conor O'Brien.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Jimmy O'Brien selected to start at 15 again, thought he went well there in his first appearance there recently.

Underage 10/12, whose body type doesn't really fit at centre in pro rugby, thought a move to the back three might have been trialed earlier.
Do you think? He's a similar sort of size to Eoin O'Malley. I think he's a good foil for Conor O'Brien.
Yeah sorta, he could be fine at centre in the pro 14 i'd say but don't think he has the best body type for it.

I was really encouraged by his 1st appearance at 15 and think it's certainly worth seeing if that could be an option there longer term.

His skills at 15 really gives leinster a 2nd distributor, which is what i'm looking for in my ideal 15.
ChurchtownRFC
Beginner

Post by ChurchtownRFC »

JOB is 6ft and 90 kg that is grand for a centre. Jonathan Joesph is the same size and has 40 caps for England.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChurchtownRFC wrote:JOB is 6ft and 90 kg that is grand for a centre. Jonathan Joesph is the same size and has 40 caps for England.
based on his two performances to date at 15, he should be focusing on playing there.
leinsterforever
Mullet

mildlyinterested wrote:
ChurchtownRFC wrote:JOB is 6ft and 90 kg that is grand for a centre. Jonathan Joesph is the same size and has 40 caps for England.
based on his two performances to date at 15, he should be focusing on playing there.
I'm not saying he can't do it at 15, but I thought he was first-rate in his one and only start at 13 against the Dragons last December.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
I'm not saying he can't do it at 15, but I thought he was first-rate in his one and only start at 13 against the Dragons last December.
much more opportunity at 15 going forward plus.. well it was the Dragons.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:
I think his focus will be massively determined by the coaching staff in this instance. If they want him to concentrate on fullback, that's what he'll do.

Ferg was able to go to Joe Schmidt with a request only to be considered at one position, because he had earned a level of trust with his coach. JOB isn't in that position at all – he has progressed through the academy at the expected rate and has performed reasonably well in a limited number of games. He hasn't massively outperformed expectations, nor has he underperformed. He doesn't have the same level of credit in the bank to be looking for favours from coaches or trying to force their hands in selection.

Running him at fullback has increased his value to the squad, which to me seemed initially quite low. Where would he have fitted into a midfield depth chart with Henshaw, Ringrose, Conor O'Brien, O'Loughlin and Tomane? There's not an immediate opening for him there. There's more flux at fullback: an established 33 year old whose contract is undecided, and a 21/22 year old who is as much a winger as he is a fullback.

By the way, I think your reasoning for pushing O'Brien as a No15 - that he could provide a second distributor in broken play – is coherent and sound. He could be a similar model of fullback as Carbery or the very poised Alex Goode.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It will be interesting to see what happens with the following back three options:

Hugo Keenan(U23)
Jack Kelly(U22)
Michael Silvester(U21)

Will they stick with 15's or go the 7's route?
leinsterforever
Mullet

He could be a 13/15, in the mould of a Jared Payne or Will Addison. His versatility could put him in the frame for the 23 shirt initially anyway.

Frawley and Keenan are others who could play the playmaker role from fullback. I'd prefer to see gametime at 15 invested in them than in DK, cos DK doesn't look to link up enough when he receives the ball in space from a kick.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

I found it interesting that Rob Kearney said on the 42s rugby podcast recently that Lancaster was a very big fan of a second playmaker at fullback. Rob said Stu had been throwing him in at first receiver in training to upskill him.

It might be an interesting lens to view the long term choices at fullback. Certainly could explain why Jimmy O'Brien (underage experience at outhalf) is seemingly being groomed there. Frawley is another candidate in that mould, and I wonder what it could mean for Larmour.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

Post by Twist »

Those comments about Lancaster’s preference for a second playmaker would suggest maybe that that’s where they saw Joey ending up?

As long as Im crying over spilt milk, is it too late for us to buy a giant butterfly net and go rescue
Conor Nash from Hawthorn?? I think that guy was a really special talent

Edit; Im inclined to agree that Ciarán Frawley looks like he could be a really good FB, but its very early days
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Twist wrote:Those comments about Lancaster’s preference for a second playmaker would suggest maybe that that’s where they saw Joey ending up?

As long as Im crying over spilt milk, is it too late for us to buy a giant butterfly net and go rescue
Conor Nash from Hawthorn?? I think that guy was a really special talent

Edit; Im inclined to agree that Ciarán Frawley looks like he could be a really good FB, but its very early days
I was thinking the same (and also that it's early days). I hope Harry Byrne gets a few run outs at 10 next season; because personally I think he has a much high ceiling than his bro. I like Ross but even though he has been better with a few carries; he just doesn't break the line cleanly. He has loads of fine attributes but pace is not one. Harry has a step; and pace from what I've seen. Why I mention him at all is that I think he could possibly overtake Ciaran F and maybe Ciaran should give the FB position a real go. For me its wide open as to who would succeed Rob and make the FB position his own. Annoying Luke was already spouting rubbish last week on the Indo rag that Ciaran Frawley should be looking elsewhere and moving as Ross and Jonny are in front of him!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

ChrisUppy wrote:I found it interesting that Rob Kearney said on the 42s rugby podcast recently that Lancaster was a very big fan of a second playmaker at fullback. Rob said Stu had been throwing him in at first receiver in training to upskill him.

It might be an interesting lens to view the long term choices at fullback. Certainly could explain why Jimmy O'Brien (underage experience at outhalf) is seemingly being groomed there. Frawley is another candidate in that mould, and I wonder what it could mean for Larmour.

I think Jimmy OB looks like he could be a good fullback.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

potential senior 15 cover next season if Robs leaves:

Dave Kearney(30) - 136 leinster caps, 17 ireland caps
Barry Daly(27) - 36 caps
Robbie Henshaw(26) - 36 leinster caps, 77 connacht caps, 37 ireland caps
Cian Kelleher(25) - 7 leinster caps, 54 connacht caps
Hugo Keenan(23) - 5 caps
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - 7 caps
Jordan Larmour(22) - 38 leinster caps, 13 ireland caps
Ciaran Frawley(21) - 14 caps
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:potential senior 15 cover next season if Robs leaves:

Dave Kearney(30) - 136 leinster caps, 17 ireland caps
Barry Daly(27) - 36 caps
Robbie Henshaw(26) - 36 leinster caps, 77 connacht caps, 37 ireland caps
Cian Kelleher(25) - 7 leinster caps, 54 connacht caps
Hugo Keenan(23) - 5 caps
Jimmy O'Brien(22) - 7 caps
Jordan Larmour(22) - 38 leinster caps, 13 ireland caps
Ciaran Frawley(21) - 14 caps
@mildlyinterested, you could probably add in James Lowe if you're including those who would like to play full-back. Personally, I think we'll see Rob there when he and his agent are finished the tussle with the IRFU to get another 2 year Contract. Given his injury profile over the past two years, you can understand their reluctance. On the other hand, he's a much sought after profile for all major sponsor shoots.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Rob's injury record for Ireland in the last few years is decent, easily good enough given his form and leadership.