Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster have had remarkable stability at the fullback position for a long time, but Rob Kearney is nearing the end of his leinster career and Isa is gone.

With that in mind, who is Leinster's long term replacement at fullback? And who will be his competition and cover at the position.

Current Options, age as of start of next season:
Cian Kelleher(25) - primarily a winger for Connacht, but came through Leinster at fullback.
Hugo Keenan(23) - had 3 starts at 14 this season before injury distruption.
Jordan Larmour(22) - looks the most likely player to be the long term replacement for Rob.
Jack Kelly(21) - Leinster A captain, made his debut this season. In final year of academy.
Michael Silvester(21) - In 1st year of academy, hard to know how he will progress.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Re: Leinster's Long Term Fullback Post-RK

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster have had remarkable stability at the fullback position for a long time, but Rob Kearney is nearing the end of his leinster career and Isa is gone.

With that in mind, who is Leinster's long term replacement at fullback? And who will be his competition and cover at the position.

Current Options, age as of start of next season:
St Michael's - Cian Kelleher(25) - primarily a winger for Connacht, but came through Leinster at fullback.
Blackrock - Hugo Keenan(23) - had 3 starts at 14 this season before injury distruption.
St Andrew's - Jordan Larmour(22) - looks the most likely player to be the long term replacement for Rob.
St Michael's - Jack Kelly(21) - Leinster A captain, made his debut this season. In final year of academy.
Clongowes (was St Michael's Jnr school) - Michael Silvester(21) - In 1st year of academy, hard to know how he will progress.
Feeder School Production Line. For better or worse.
Whats your point? That schools rugby produces rugby players? Why I never knew.. also not exactly sure i'd call St. Andrews a feeder school for rugby.

If Conor Nash had chosen rugby over AFL then it would look different.
What's more, 5 options coming from 4 different schools certainly doesn't look like we're overly dependant any one, unlike the case that could maybe be made about our back row and second row prospects...

But anyway, could throw James Lowe into the mix for fullback. He played a fair bit there for the Maori's IIRC and I'd be interested to see what he can do with the added freedom in attack and his big boot. Ciaran Frawley is an option as well, but my preference would be his staying at 10. Have Jimmy or Tommy O'Brien played there?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ChrisUppy wrote: What's more, 5 options coming from 4 different schools certainly doesn't look like we're overly dependant any one, unlike the case that could maybe be made about our back row and second row prospects...

But anyway, could throw James Lowe into the mix for fullback. He played a fair bit there for the Maori's IIRC and I'd be interested to see what he can do with the added freedom in attack and his big boot. Ciaran Frawley is an option as well, but my preference would be his staying at 10. Have Jimmy or Tommy O'Brien played there?
Neither have experience there no.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Off-topic posts moved into general chat.

Repeatedly derailing threads with the same couple of arguments will not be tolerated.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Obvious name missing from the list, other than Lowe, is Dave Kearney, but I would agree it's not looking that positive with his injury profile.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote:Obvious name missing from the list, other than Lowe, is Dave Kearney, but I would agree it's not looking that positive with his injury profile.
Long-Term.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Rob Russell starting at 15 for Leinster A tomorrow. Which is interesting.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:
curates_egg wrote:Obvious name missing from the list, other than Lowe, is Dave Kearney, but I would agree it's not looking that positive with his injury profile.
Long-Term.
Thread title says post RK.

We got used to Leinster being overstocked and having Girve and Rob back to back. You can’t really replace what we had without accepting a gap (or having RK stay well into decline).

Keenan has been surprisingly assured for a new player. That’s exciting in a way that young fullbacks usually aren’t.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

ronk wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Long-Term.
Thread title says post RK.

We got used to Leinster being overstocked and having Girve and Rob back to back. You can’t really replace what we had without accepting a gap (or having RK stay well into decline).

Keenan has been surprisingly assured for a new player. That’s exciting in a way that young fullbacks usually aren’t.
Dave isint Rob
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
Long-Term.
He's not even 30 FFS!
The only reasons he would not be a long term option would be retirement or departure.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Whomever it is gots some big boots to fill.
Stat of the day:
ROB KEARNEY (102) IS THE 3RD PLAYER TO BEAT 100 DEFENDERS IN SIX NATIONS HISTORY AFTER BRIAN O’DRISCOLL (163) AND GEORGE NORTH (105)
:happy clapper: :happy clapper:
That's some stat by North considering he is not 27 yet.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:Whomever it is gots some big boots to fill.
Stat of the day:
ROB KEARNEY (102) IS THE 3RD PLAYER TO BEAT 100 DEFENDERS IN SIX NATIONS HISTORY AFTER BRIAN O’DRISCOLL (163) AND GEORGE NORTH (105)
Great stat. Not something Rob gets enough credit for
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Stat of the day:
Great stat. Very impressive from RK ... as usual.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I noticed on the Leinster website that Henshaw is listed as a Centre / Full back - has that always been the case?
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Stat of the day:
Are you sure Zebo didn’t beat 100 defenders on his debut? Not bad considering he was only in fir the 26 seconds hahaha. You got a source for above .... fair play to Rob
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Kearney headed abroad?
“I’m trying to get it all done now in the next four to six weeks,” said Kearney of his future. “Obviously, it’s not ideal timing in the middle of the Six Nations but that’s just where we’re at at the moment.

“I’m going to finish out the season, definitely, after the World Cup. So it’s just a matter of trying to get some plans in place in the next four to six weeks or so.

“[A move abroad] would appeal but it’s a big decision too. There would have to be a lot of different variables stack up in your favour and I know it was a difficult decision for Seanie.

“So it’s not one that you make flippantly, there’s a fair bit of thought you need to do.

“When I feel physically good, mentally I’m really good and I enjoy my rugby and everything is going great.

“But I’ve been in patterns over the last few years where physically things can go wrong for you quite quickly and there’s a knock-on factor in that mentally, you just lose a little bit of interest in the whole thing.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

mildlyinterested wrote:Kearney headed abroad?
Potentially. Luckily we have Carbery lined up to replace him.

Seriously though, if he does go, we really haven’t developed an adequate replacement for him. Carbery would have been ideal imo, he was routinely excellent at 15. Larmour, D. Kearney, Frawley and Keenan have all played there this season, rarely have any of them been good there.

I know Lowe has played a bit of rugby at 15, has a fantastic left boot and a great running game. Potentially an option to be looked at there?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That's staying talk. Leaving/quitting is on the table if the negotiations go badly enough.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sam Dardis in the Sub-Academy should also be in this conversation. However, for the next transition, post Robert K, the discussion should reflect on the reality that we won't have sufficient game-time to accomodate Byrne - Frawley - Byrne at out-half. We are highly unlikely to jettison Ross Byrne, who continues his incremental route to our No 1 out-half, post J10.

Damien Frawley shows all of the fundamental skills to be a combination of Kearney / Dempsey, with the added bonus of being a second play-maker. He is an excellent fielder, a good tackler on both sides, kicks long and very well and is a superb passer. All he needs is experience in positional play and game-time at a high level. I'm not certain of his top-end speed but he has acceleration, a key compensation. He also has age on his side.

There is no open and shut case. Dardis has had a hiccup in development but is playing very well in the AIL. for Terenure. He's big, quick and a natural fullback who seems to read opposition out-halves. He scores tries and inspires confidence the way he organises his back-field.

Based on experience to date, Robbie Henshaw is a top quality No 12 that we should keep there and build our attack around him. He will by-pass the Bundee challenge because of the quality of his passing and his combination with J10 should serve Leinster and Ireland for as long as J10 is around.

No certainties, but Frawley seems in the pole position unless LeoCaster see him as the ultimate successor to J10.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ciaran Frawley is a decent player who has been pressed into service early but relatively gently. He may well develop well but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. He’s not a hyped up kiddie superstar.

We’re barely managing with current depth at outhalf and Byrne2 won’t change that much unless he bolts during or before the RWC. It’s not like he’s carrying the U20s on his back.

A versatile fullback/outhalf like Frawley is useful because Ross Byrne is an 80 minute guy. Given that we weren’t able to keep Madigan or Carbery we might be wary of that route though. Frawley is ahead on getting time and Harry Byrne won’t be waiting for a chance after Leo thinks he’s ready.