Leinster Scrumhalves

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 14th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Given Luke's injury thought it was fitting time to start this thread.

Age as of end of season

Jamison Gibson Park(27) - contract ends this season.
Luke McGrath(26/St. Michaels/UCD) - signed contract in 2017. Currently injured.
Nick McCarthy(24/St. Michaels/UCD) - joining Munster next season. Currently injured.
Hugh O'Sullivan(21/Belvedere/Clontarf) - Academy Year 2
Patrick Patterson(20/Blackrock/UCD) - Academy Year 1

Sub-Academy
James Kenny(U21/Gonzaga/Lansdowne)
Cormac Foley(U20/St. Gerards/St. Marys)

Underage Prospects
Adam McEvoy(U19/St. Marys College)
Jack Connolly(U19/Gonzaga)
Shane Murphy(U19/Skerries RFC/UCD)
Ben Murphy(U18/Pres Bray)
Rob Gilsenan(U18/St. Michaels)
WIll Reilly(U18/Portloaise RFC)
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 14th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 14th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Cormac Foley recently returned from an injury and will hope to push his way into the Ireland u20 squad. He played both inside centre, outhalf and scrumhalf in school.

James Kenny, is currently injured to the best of my knowledge, he missed most of his u20 season last season due to injury also.

In underage rugby - Ben Murphy, Rob Gilsenan and WIll Reilly were all involved with Ireland u18 over the christmas break. It being Murphy's second season with the irish u18's.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby flustered » January 14th, 2019, 3:53 pm

I wonder if Luke's injury is long term will Leinster be able to sign a medical joker.....
flustered
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 372
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby arsebiscuits1 » January 14th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Either Luke has ruptured a ligament and his season is gone or he's strained one of them and it will be significantly less. Naturally it is not as simple as this I just want to stay optimistic

I'm hopeful of the latter in which case he could be looking at 8 weeks pencilling him back for start to mid March. Disappointing from and Ireland perspective but for Leinster he will be missing:

- Wasps
- Scarlets
- Zebre
- Kings
- Cheetahs

Of all those games the only one he'd likely be involved with is Wasps next week anyway
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 778
Joined: November 19th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 14th, 2019, 4:04 pm

I wonder if they will be extra cautious with JGP in the league now given his importance, our lead in the Pro 14 and the need to blood the younger 9's.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 14th, 2019, 4:05 pm

flustered wrote:I wonder if Luke's injury is long term will Leinster be able to sign a medical joker.....


:lol: we aren't munster.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby Jonny tight lips » January 14th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Timing doesn’t work for a medical joker, he wouldn’t be ready for Sunday and after that our next meaningful match is the quarter final in March fir which Luke should be back. Makes sense to play the Hugh and Patrick during the six nations as we have a couple of league games coming up against poor opposition in a conference we’ve pretty much won and of course Nick can chip in too as he’s due back
Jonny tight lips
Bookworm
 
Posts: 218
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby flustered » January 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:
flustered wrote:I wonder if Luke's injury is long term will Leinster be able to sign a medical joker.....


:lol: we aren't munster.


Yeah element of tongue in cheek with my comment :D :D
flustered
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 372
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby Peg Leg » January 14th, 2019, 5:21 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.

This will sound very cynical, but I think for the very reason of Park becoming IQ'd, that it is not safe to assume his signature.
If the need of the National team is to have 4 international standard players playing 1st team rugby for their provinces brother David might be in his ear for the greater good.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby Oldschool » January 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.

This will sound very cynical, but I think for the very reason of Park becoming IQ'd, that it is not safe to assume his signature.
If the need of the National team is to have 4 international standard players playing 1st team rugby for their provinces brother David might be in his ear for the greater good.

With all four provinces having first choice international SHs one would be hopeful that you are wrong, however.......
Especially as McCarthy is already on his way (a bit of quid pro quo maybe?)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby Peg Leg » January 14th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.

This will sound very cynical, but I think for the very reason of Park becoming IQ'd, that it is not safe to assume his signature.
If the need of the National team is to have 4 international standard players playing 1st team rugby for their provinces brother David might be in his ear for the greater good.

With all four provinces having first choice international SHs one would be hopeful that you are wrong, however.......
Especially as McCarthy is already on his way (a bit of quid pro quo maybe?)

This is a real- Shoe on the other foot scenario OS. You usually play the role of the cynic!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9087
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby joooooe » January 14th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.

This will sound very cynical, but I think for the very reason of Park becoming IQ'd, that it is not safe to assume his signature.
If the need of the National team is to have 4 international standard players playing 1st team rugby for their provinces brother David might be in his ear for the greater good.


Scrumhalf is probably the only position where the top 4 players in the position (Murray, McGrath, Marmion and Cooney) are already at each of the 4 provinces. If someone bolts or becomes Irish qualified theyre unlikely to be moved.
joooooe
Bookworm
 
Posts: 243
Joined: April 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 15th, 2019, 10:10 am

Des Berry saying Luke could be back within 6 weeks:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 12644.html
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby blockhead » January 15th, 2019, 10:25 am

mildlyinterested wrote:Des Berry saying Luke could be back within 6 weeks:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 12644.html


That would be fantastic.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5247
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby mildlyinterested » January 15th, 2019, 10:26 am

Also in that article, Berry says that Nick McCarthy's rehab is going slower than expected and may not be back until April.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3913
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby Flash Gordon » January 15th, 2019, 10:44 am

Oldschool wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Hugh O'Sullivan looks set to replace Nick McCarthy as 3rd choice, although the gap between him and Patterson doesn't appear to be very big at this moment.

He also may make his european debut off the bench this weekend against Wasps, following Luke's knee injury.

It's safe to assume both Park & Luke will re-sign for Leinster going forward with Park becoming IQ'd next season.

This will sound very cynical, but I think for the very reason of Park becoming IQ'd, that it is not safe to assume his signature.
If the need of the National team is to have 4 international standard players playing 1st team rugby for their provinces brother David might be in his ear for the greater good.

With all four provinces having first choice international SHs one would be hopeful that you are wrong, however.......
Especially as McCarthy is already on his way (a bit of quid pro quo maybe?)


All the other provinces have Irish international scrum halves as is. JGP gets plenty of game time at Leinster and there's a very real possibility of him establishing himself as our Number 1 Scrum Half. Also each of the other provinces will have 2 Leinster original Scrum Halves in their sqaud, surely there has to be a limit to the poaching at some point!!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
User avatar
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9980
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Location: Up the orse of the tag bunny

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby wixfjord » January 15th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Brilliant news on McGrath, good opportunity for us to give HOS/PP minutes in the next block of Pro14 matches too.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4796
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby arsebiscuits1 » January 15th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Pity about McGrath but I am glad my optimism has proved correct :lol:

Was a huge chance for him to force himself into the number 2 slot behind Murray. He will get a good look in in the World Cup warm ups but this injury did his shot at being on the plane to Japan no favours
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Enlightened
 
Posts: 778
Joined: November 19th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Postby hugonaut » January 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

wixfjord wrote:Brilliant news on McGrath, good opportunity for us to give HOS/PP minutes in the next block of Pro14 matches too.


Yeah, we've got some very easy fixtures after the Scarlets game; I think it's Zebre/Kings/Cheetahs. Ideal for our situation - put the academy guy in from the start and see how he performs in the regular system with a backline he has trained with during the week rather than for the last 15 minutes with the game broken up.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4945
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Next

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot [Bot] and 5 guests