Leinster Scrumhalves

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bails
Graduate

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Post by bails »

I think the major complaint is when a player moves mid contract.

If a player is coming to end of a contract, it is their right to choose where they want to play in subsequent seasons and we cant complain if their exercise their right to move, with or without inducements from other Provinces/Clubs.

I certainly can't get my head around a player deciding that they are better off staying Munster for opportunities, as we seem to be the provider of opportunities in the country
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

bails wrote:I think the major complaint is when a player moves mid contract.

If a player is coming to end of a contract, it is their right to choose where they want to play in subsequent seasons and we cant complain if their exercise their right to move, with or without inducements from other Provinces/Clubs.

I certainly can't get my head around a player deciding that they are better off staying Munster for opportunities, as we seem to be the provider of opportunities in the country

Absolutely, if someone moves while out of contract, then good luck to them (doesn't mean I won't softly criticise their choice (eg. 'They'd win more silverware at Leinster' or some such), but I won't feel aggrieved by it)

Moving players mid contract (Carbery) is making a mockery of the system and means you could wipe your arse with the provincial (not IRFU) contracts.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

It could have been a spurious approach to Casey, just trying to warn or annoy Munster. Cullen's not a happy bunny about Leinster's players being tapped up or pressured to move.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote:It could have been a spurious approach to Casey, just trying to warn or annoy Munster. Cullen's not a happy bunny about Leinster's players being tapped up or pressured to move.
No, I'm pretty sure it was a legit approach. Casey is a super young player and with Nick McCarthy on the way down and Mathewson renewed, there didn't look to be a particular path forward for him in Munster. He might have been willing to come to Leinster, and you don't know if you don't try. We're letting a guy who was a quality age-grade scrum-half go down there, turnabout is fair play.

From what I've heard, the offer was made and Munster offered him a golden ticket by the weekend: upgrade to development contract, Academy Player of the Year Award and 24th man for the next Pro14 matchday squad [he ended up getting bumped up a spot when Conor Murray dropped out]. No less than he deserves, but no sign of it happening before Leinster were in touch.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:I'm sure some people will complain about it, but if an academy player at leinster thinks he is better off at munster then he hasn't been paying attention to each provinces record of giving game time to young players.
I’m sure some people will, and I’m also sure some people will forget it very quickly when the next story of Munster ‘poaching’ comes around. Let’s hope not…
Without duress is a phrase missing from some of your posts on the issue of "transfer'
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I believe it was legitimate approach too, which is understandable as Casey really looked outstanding for the 20's.

Leinster have clearly identified scrumhalf as a position that needs improved coaching and development at underage level, highlighted by the specialized scrumhalf workshops they've been running this season.

Hugh O'Sullivan(21/Belvedere/Clontarf) - only started playing 9 full time last season due to playing fullback in school, as progressed quickly due to opportunity due to injury and the foreign player rule. Has good skills but decision making needs work, needs game time. Stats: 5'10, 81kg
Show Spoiler:
Paddy Patterson(20/Blackrock/UCD) - behind O'Sullivan for the 20's and this season for Leinster, in his limited appearances for Leinster he has flashed some game-breaking ability. Played wing in 5th year in school, before resuming more natural position of scrumhalf. Stats: 5'8, 78kg.
Show Spoiler:
Cormac Foley(19/St. Gerards/St. Marys) - backup 9 for Irish 20's, this is his first season playing 9 full time after playing 10 and 12 in school. Seems to have a knack for scoring tries, but unsurprisingly needs to improve decision making. Stats: 5'11, 85kg
Show Spoiler:
Jack Connolly(U20/Gonzaga) - Leinster U19 scrumhalf this season, had an impressive season for Gonzaga helping them reach the SCT final. Follows the recent trend of bigger 9's from the school such as ex-sub academy players: Nick Peters and James Kenny. Yet to represent Ireland underage.
Show Spoiler:
Adam McEvoy(U20/St. Marys) - Leinster U19 scrumhalf this season, played 10 for St. Marys College this season. Yet to represent Ireland underage.
Show Spoiler:
Ben Murphy(U19/Pres Bray) - two time Ireland and leinster schools u18 player. Will be interesting to see if he skips U19 level this summer.
Show Spoiler:
Rob Gilsenan(U19/St. Michaels) - key player in St. Michaels SCT winning side and member of Leinster U18 schools, missed out on Ireland u18 duty in easter due to injury. Approx 6ft.
Show Spoiler:
Will Reilly(U18/Portlaoise RFC) - taller scrumhalf, who played for Ireland clubs this season as a under-17.
Show Spoiler:
Matthew Cullen(U18/Blackrock) - a rare 5th year starter for Blackrock, he impressed during the SCT and was part of a recent trial for Leinster u18 schools.
Show Spoiler:
Fintan Gunne(U18/St. Michaels) - star player for St. Michaels JCT winning side, recently called up for Leinster u18 schools side trial game while still in 3rd year. Also started for Michaels in 2nd year. Similar in size to Craig Casey.
Show Spoiler:
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Did Charlie Rock quit rugby completely after being released by Leinster?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:Did Charlie Rock quit rugby completely after being released by Leinster?
looks like it, didn't see him playing AIL for a club this season.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote:
OTT wrote:Did Charlie Rock quit rugby completely after being released by Leinster?
I looked a few times through the season but could not find anything on him so was wondering.

Thanks for reply.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
I looked a few times through the season but could not find anything on him so was wondering.

Thanks for reply.
Just found out he is living in Sydney at the moment. FYI.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

watching Casey against England and his speed of pass is really incredible..

he gets to the breakdown quickly and gets the ball out quickly, with little to no complaining to the ref and usually making the right decision.

Leinster haven't had a talent like him come through the system in my time watching it, Luke McGrath being the closest to him but without the laser fast pass off both hands or the super quick ability to get the ball out of the breakdown.

Casey did display weakness with his kicking and it wasn't a perfect game from him in that regard.

Shame Cormac Foley didn't get a run off the bench given game was determined with 5 minutes to go. Still don't know what to make of him really, another project at 9 who has been converted from a different position.

it will be interesting to see which irish 9 is better at the weekend, Casey or louth man Michael McDonald.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:watching Casey against England and his speed of pass is really incredible..

he gets to the breakdown quickly and gets the ball out quickly, with little to no complaining to the ref and usually making the right decision.

Leinster haven't had a talent like him come through the system in my time watching it, Luke McGrath being the closest to him but without the laser fast pass off both hands or the super quick ability to get the ball out of the breakdown.

Casey did display weakness with his kicking and it wasn't a perfect game from him in that regard.

Shame Cormac Foley didn't get a run off the bench given game was determined with 5 minutes to go. Still don't know what to make of him really, another project at 9 who has been converted from a different position.

it will be interesting to see which irish 9 is better at the weekend, Casey or louth man Michael McDonald.
Caseys pass is a proper bullet. I can't tell if my perception of it was different as it was Under 20s but I can't think of a 9 that has a quicker pass in Ireland at the moment.

Keen to see more of Foley but it is clear that Casey is a key man in Noels plans similar to the front row. He wont take them off unless he has to. Hard to argue with the logic thus far
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

interested to see who will be 3rd scrumhalf next season, most would assume Hugh O'Sullivan but think Paddy Patterson was more impressive than him last season and looks to be a more natural 9 and a better/quicker decision maker.

Given leinster approached Craig Casey, they clearly aren't happy with the 9 position behind JGP/Luke.

Patterson looks to get the ball away faster from the breakdown to me. Hughie seems to be more ponderous and slower at making decisions, which is unsurprising given his lack of experience there. He really should have played more AIL this season to give him more experience at the position.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Will be more interesting to see who our #1 SH is for me. I think JGP was very unlucky this year with injury and the three player rule not going his way. If Luke goes to Japan he'll have a good head start on him in the league and might get the nod for the first Euro games imo.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote:Will be more interesting to see who our #1 SH is for me. I think JGP was very unlucky this year with injury and the three player rule not going his way. If Luke goes to Japan he'll have a good head start on him in the league and might get the nod for the first Euro games imo.
Park could go the to the RWC. He becomes eligible, he's probably the most dynamic attacking scrumhalf in Ireland, he's from NZ like Schmidt.

If Joe rates him he could bolt.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's not in the training squad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

mildlyinterested wrote:Hughie seems to be more ponderous and slower at making decisions, which is unsurprising given his lack of experience there.
Funny, I've mentioned that loads and you've disagreed with me every time :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Hughie seems to be more ponderous and slower at making decisions, which is unsurprising given his lack of experience there.
Funny, I've mentioned that loads and you've disagreed with me every time :lol:
am i not allowed to re-evaluate my opinion at the end of the season? :roll:

IMO he hasn't shown enough progression due to his lack of gametime at AIL level this season which has prevented him from gaining valuable experience.

he could still improve his decision making but I fear he wont get the quality gametime to do so.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's not in the training squad.
He’s also not Irish qualified yet and was injured for the end of the season.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's not in the training squad.
He’s also not Irish qualified yet and was injured for the end of the season.
I'd say- if he recovers, it's more likely than not that he will travel.

He's definitely good enough.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"