Leinster Scrumhalves

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Scrumhalves

Post by mildlyinterested »

Both HOS and PP need gametime, they won't be risked at AIL level so the more they can get in the Pro 14 going forward the better.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Brilliant news on McGrath, good opportunity for us to give HOS/PP minutes in the next block of Pro14 matches too.
Yeah, we've got some very easy fixtures after the Scarlets game; I think it's Zebre/Kings/Cheetahs. Ideal for our situation - put the academy guy in from the start and see how he performs in the regular system with a backline he has trained with during the week rather than for the last 15 minutes with the game broken up.
Plus we're cruising in the league anyway.

Gutted for Nick but think it was fairly inevitable with the timing of the injury. Really unfortunate for him, think it was right on half time and he was probably going to see a fair bit of game time over Christmas.

Great news on Luke though. Still gutted for him because of his Ireland prospects but obviously a big boost for Leinster and he still has a shot at the World Cup.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Quote from Fogarty:

“We’re not thinking of bringing in someone from outside the province,” he said. “We work very hard within the province to supply as many players as we possibly can from the province.”

Love it!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:Quote from Fogarty:

“We’re not thinking of bringing in someone from outside the province,” he said. “We work very hard within the province to supply as many players as we possibly can from the province.”

Love it!!
:clap:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote:Quote from Fogarty:

Love it!!
Meeeoooww!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I like that...but I think his point might work better if we didn't have an NIQ scrumhalf starting on Sunday who forced a former Ireland under 20 captain to leave :lol:
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I like that...but I think his point might work better if we didn't have an NIQ scrumhalf starting on Sunday who forced a former Ireland under 20 captain to leave :lol:

Ah he'll be Irish soon enough!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I like that...but I think his point might work better if we didn't have an NIQ scrumhalf starting on Sunday who forced a former Ireland under 20 captain to leave :lol:
former ireland u20 captain wasn't good enough to displace JGP or McGrath. Leinster offered him another contract, but Nick decided he would rather play for our biggest rivals. Only so much the coaches can do.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 15th, 2019, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

True...just like what happened with Beirne and Farrell, and you've been so forgiving of Leinster for that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Obviously I only said "true" to be a dick, I actually do think Nick is good enough. Hope he shows it at Munster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Editing (which didn't make any difference) instead of replying...great stuff.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Editing (which didn't make any difference) instead of replying...great stuff.
nothing to reply to. you have your opinion, i have mine.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster scrum coach John Fogarty has been impressed with the maturity of attitude and performance that O’Sullivan has shown in a fledgling professional career that numbers just six appearances for the senior team. “With Hugh, he’s a very different character than I’m used to.

“His mindset is very impressive. His composure, his confidence, natural confidence not cockiness, he has in his [qualities] and what he can future-add is impressive. He’s not as fazed if you put him into a situation as other guys [are]. You test the water in training sessions, A games and Pro14 games and he’s quite composed in pressure situations.

“Another person would be Scott Penny, thrown in, in his first game, he just continued to be himself and that’s something Hugh does really well. He doesn’t try to be this, that and the other. He doesn’t try too hard in other areas, he’s very composed and confident; he’s been able to mentally step [up].

“That’s not an easy thing to do for a young player to be able to come in, to be able to deal with Sexto [Jonathan Sexton] or Ross [Byrne] as they demand such a high standard. That’s different to other guys; that’s not a typical thing.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wonder if JGP will be getting a nice mid-winter sunshine break to meet new team-mates next week.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:I wonder if JGP will be getting a nice mid-winter sunshine break to meet new team-mates next week.
I doubt it. K.I.S.S. Beirne was never called up even after he had signed for Munster.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interestingly a quote from him in the 42 says he hasn't been in touch with Schmidt at all. Maybe they'll wait until after the WC to introduce him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

paddyor wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I wonder if JGP will be getting a nice mid-winter sunshine break to meet new team-mates next week.
I doubt it. K.I.S.S. Beirne was never called up even after he had signed for Munster.
Beirne was simply unavailable, being at a club outside the system. Addison was though (he 'happened' to be on hols) and others like Aki and Bleyandaal have both been brought into camps prior to their actual qualification (Bleyandaal qualifies this month)
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I guess there'll be an intersection point of how much JS wants him, how much he (JS) feels JGP needs to know and how much Leinster will need him. It isn't urgent that he be included.
I have Bumbleflex
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

JGP stats this season are very good. 15 Assists and 5 tries. He has the most assists in the Pro14 with double the second highest (Carty) despite playing around half the available minutes. Rugby Pass have some AI based algorithm that tries to calculate a player's value. JGP is currently 6th, but until last week he was 1st in the world. His most interesting development since his arrival has been his kicking game. But I am very happy with him RN anyway
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Beirne was simply unavailable, being at a club outside the system. Addison was though (he 'happened' to be on hols) and others like Aki and Bleyandaal have both been brought into camps prior to their actual qualification (Bleyandaal qualifies this month)
Bleyendaal qualified last Jan but has been pretty much injured since.