Scarlets at home, 25/01 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinster23
Bookworm

Re: Scarlets at home, 25/01 7.35pm

Post by leinster23 »

For all the talk of Kearney, I think the other international player on the pitch deserves a mention. McGrath got caught out by the nine at the ruck early on but after that he was excellent, strong performance both scrimmaging and around the park with his carrying and some great turnovers, it's been a while since he's had that kind of a contribution and it's great to see.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

On rk- yes i know he's a big game player but before tonight he was expected to start in every 6 nations match bar italy and be first choice for the world cup. Now we are left scratching our heads as what would you do next week? Leave him there and hope he plays a blinder or drop him and start someone else? He's given Schmidt a huge problem after tonight.
Last edited by carlow man on January 25th, 2019, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

leinster23 wrote:For all the talk of Kearney, I think the other international player on the pitch deserves a mention. McGrath got caught out by the nine at the ruck early on but after that he was excellent, strong performance both scrimmaging and around the park with his carrying and some great turnovers, it's been a while since he's had that kind of a contribution and it's great to see.
+1, thought he looked like a guy that wanted to put in a shift and get proper hard minutes under his belt
Scrummed very well and busy carrying, still wondering is he carrying a bit too much weight, I know he’s a different make to Healy but I reckon he could shed another 2/3 kilos and be far more dynamic...wonder will he make bench next week??!?
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

leinster23 wrote:For all the talk of Kearney, I think the other international player on the pitch deserves a mention. McGrath got caught out by the nine at the ruck early on but after that he was excellent, strong performance both scrimmaging and around the park with his carrying and some great turnovers, it's been a while since he's had that kind of a contribution and it's great to see.
I'm not sure he's done enough to be on the bench for next week. England will be raring to go for this one and I reckon Ireland will rely hugely on the bench for this match. Has jack got enough minutes under his belt to show the coaches he's got the fitness and form to take over from cian after 50 minutes?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

It took Bent and Jack to show the lads how to step, pass and break the defence for the first decent line break.
Carlow man getting a bit excited RE RK. Rob's not risking anything.

Vakh physically searching and noticeably finding 5th gear reminiscent of the last few mins v munster A last yr. Great prospect.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tingman wrote:We got out of jail there - big time.
Understatement of the season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

carlow man wrote:Is there a sponsored silence tonight? Haven't heard a peep from the crowd? Kearney looks very rusty.
I did my best but there's only so much one voice can achieve.
Indeed I've taken stick on a number of occasions for shouting too loud - I kid you not.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:WTF was that. Absolute madness from Frawley, he has done that a few times.
Completely forcing it.
Lack of peripheral vision I would suggest.
Not picking up the player coming off the line fast although this was maybe a slightly different scenario.
The video analysis tomorrow will tell all.
Not looking forward and I dare say neither are the players on Monday.
No cohesion in the team whatsoever.
In mitigation I will say it was bloody cold pitch side as they say.
RK very rusty.
JL rusty
Team didn't play like a team which is understandable given the lack of time together.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

carlow man wrote:On rk- yes i know he's a big game player but before tonight he was expected to start in every 6 nations match bar italy and be first choice for the world cup. Now we are left scratching our heads as what would you do next week? Leave him there and hope he plays a blinder or drop him and start someone else? He's given Schmidt a huge problem after tonight.
Hold on a second there now Carlow Man, you've gotten me a bit confused. Are you saying that Rob had a good game or a bad game?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Jlo seems to get a bit over excited when the rest of the big knobs have been stood down. Like he's trying to win it on his own. Needs to settle down. Be like Isa. Rolls Royce it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

carlow man wrote:On rk- yes i know he's a big game player but before tonight he was expected to start in every 6 nations match bar italy and be first choice for the world cup. Now we are left scratching our heads as what would you do next week? Leave him there and hope he plays a blinder or drop him and start someone else? He's given Schmidt a huge problem after tonight.
See that's the thing. You seem to think Rob was on trial for Joe tonight. I don't think so at all. I fully expect him to line out for Ireland next week and I think Joe would much rather he wave those tackles tonight then hurt himself diving under the feet of a Scarlets B winger in a Game Leinster don't really need to win anyway. I think Joe feels that if that had of been the England Game Rob makes those tackles every time. So basically Robs performance tonight from a Leinster perspective sucked, but from Ireland and Joes point of view, Rob got a run out and no injury, lovely-jublee. As a Leinster supporter thats a hard one to swallow sometimes, as an Ireland supporter it probably makes sense.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

After having a few poor lineout cameos off the bench, I thought Tracy did very well today. Scrum and lineout were solid (don't think we lost a single one?); he carried well and cleverly at the back of mauls and made all his tackles.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Laighin Break wrote:After having a few poor lineout cameos off the bench, I thought Tracy did very well today. Scrum and lineout were solid (don't think we lost a single one?); he carried well and cleverly at the back of mauls and made all his tackles.
Yep, not his biggest fan but hard to ask for more there tonight.
As an aside though, todays maul defence was superb. Looked like a car holding back a tidal wave at a couple of stages.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Gearzbox2 wrote:
+1, thought he looked like a guy that wanted to put in a shift and get proper hard minutes under his belt
Scrummed very well and busy carrying, still wondering is he carrying a bit too much weight, I know he’s a different make to Healy but I reckon he could shed another 2/3 kilos and be far more dynamic...wonder will he make bench next week??!?
I thought Jack played well; good enough to make next week’s International bench.

As was suggested, while Rob was very poor on a number of occasions, the purpose of his playing tonight was not an audition for Ireland (or Leinster for that matter) it was purely about getting him game time.

He has a record of responding well to bad performances. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a stormer next week.

Daly was excellent, our MOTM. Not sure who the TV picked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Ross Molony was announced as MOTM.
Four Stars
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
See that's the thing. You seem to think Rob was on trial for Joe tonight. I don't think so at all. I fully expect him to line out for Ireland next week and I think Joe would much rather he wave those tackles tonight then hurt himself diving under the feet of a Scarlets B winger in a Game Leinster don't really need to win anyway. I think Joe feels that if that had of been the England Game Rob makes those tackles every time. So basically Robs performance tonight from a Leinster perspective sucked, but from Ireland and Joes point of view, Rob got a run out and no injury, lovely-jublee. As a Leinster supporter thats a hard one to swallow sometimes, as an Ireland supporter it probably makes sense.
Sorry but that's nonsense. That was awful stuff from him tonight. His job is to make tackles like that in any game he plays, not just for Ireland. By the way, he has been 'waving' tackles like that for years. I get that he rarely has games that all round have been that bad but he was the worst Leinster player in show last night and he had a couple of contenders for that role. I was taking the mick 're the audition by the way! But if there was ever a way to play yourself off a team then that was a good way to do it! Like I said before, he will prob still start next week but based on form and fitness, he shouldn't.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

blockhead wrote:
Hold on a second there now Carlow Man, you've gotten me a bit confused. Are you saying that Rob had a good game or a bad game?
Look at my posts and that should tell you enough. I actually like rk as a player but tonight was bad from him.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Lar wrote:Ross Molony was announced as MOTM.
Ross played very well too. But I thought Barry was the spark in the back line; nearly the only spark there, until Reid came on. Noel was once again was excellent in his cameo.

The young half backs were frankly mediocre. All too often Hugh’s passing was laboured and inaccurate. His and Frawley’s decision making was poor. Both will learn from this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I agree, Barry Daly was easily the pick of the backs. Lots of work for Frawley to do, he never got to grips with the game.

Comedy gold from Rob, his worst performance in ages. I wonder what Carlow Man made of his performance though?
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Chaotic and very disjointed but entertaining game !! Daly excellent and Doris has lots of potential, Molony becoming a really good reliable second row, great backup for the big three. Scrappy win and good experience for some of the youngsters, the likes of HOS and Frawley, O'Brien etc all learning lessons tonight against an eager Scarlets team. Vakh looking interesting in his cameo too !! RK rusty but I am sure will start next week and play his socks off. Calm down and carry on.