Scarlets at home, 25/01 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Barry
Enlightened

Re: Scarlets at home, 25/01 7.35pm

Post by Barry »

Barry wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Looking forward to seeing more of Conor O'Brien, the return of James Lowe, Frawley at 10, Deegan/Doris in the backrow.

And maybe a debut or two, off the bench.
can't see both O'Sullivan & Frawley starting - assume it will be O'Sullivan / Reid or JGP/Frawley.
we'll know in an hour.
9. Jamison Gibson Park(65)
10. Ciaran Frawley(9)

the "Leo out" campaign starts here
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

It’s Roman Kellehers birthday ..... a spot on the bench would of been a lovely present
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jonny tight lips wrote:It’s Roman Kellehers birthday ..... a spot on the bench would of been a lovely present
24th man no doubt, but yeah thought he might make the bench along with Dunne.

was apparently excellent last weekend for Lansdowne, when up against fellow academy hooker Dan Sheehan.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Can't see Kearney playing full game, interested to see who plays 15 when he goes off.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster completed their task of European qualification with a business-like win over Wasps last weekend. A home quarter-final against Ulster in the Aviva awaits at the end of March and Leinster this week waved goodbye to most of their internationals until then.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see Kearney playing full game, interested to see who plays 15 when he goes off.
Lowe
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Or Daly possibly?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote:Or Daly possibly?
Daly would be guess, with JOB on the wing.

Frawley could move to 15 and Reid comes on at 10.
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can't see Kearney playing full game, interested to see who plays 15 when he goes off.
Frawley surely?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote:playing Deegan at 6 has its benefits as he needs to round out his game.

I think he is a stellar player, a rare talent with game changing abilities. His skill-set is especially good - hands, feet, lines of running, athleticism, decision-making and all round rugby brain.

He needs to add some size to ramp up his physicality by c.20% and make sure he is always switched on and doesn't coast in games (I don't see it happening myself but apparently it could be a feature when he was a schoolboy)

What do you think his game needs ?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

backrower8 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:playing Deegan at 6 has its benefits as he needs to round out his game.

I think he is a stellar player, a rare talent with game changing abilities. His skill-set is especially good - hands, feet, lines of running, athleticism, decision-making and all round rugby brain.

He needs to add some size to ramp up his physicality by c.20% and make sure he is always switched on and doesn't coast in games (I don't see it happening myself but apparently it could be a feature when he was a schoolboy)

I'm a big fan too. Not missing much, but he could do with more abrasiveness in contact, both with and without the ball, i.e. carrying and tackling. He's a good tackler, but it'd be great to see him line up a guy and smash him backwards once in a while.

I think he's very like Harinordoquy in many regards, but Harinordoquy had a lot of edge to him that Deegan hasn't shown yet.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

"it'd be great to see him line up a guy and smash him backwards once in a while." - that's the bit I'm waiting to see from Adam Byrne!!!!!
wwed
Learner

Post by wwed »

is Josh Murphy injured?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wwed wrote:is Josh Murphy injured?
Exams?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
backrower8 wrote:

I'm a big fan too. Not missing much, but he could do with more abrasiveness in contact, both with and without the ball, i.e. carrying and tackling. He's a good tackler, but it'd be great to see him line up a guy and smash him backwards once in a while.

I think he's very like Harinordoquy in many regards, but Harinordoquy had a lot of edge to him that Deegan hasn't shown yet.
I’m not sure, most players will never have the accuracy he has carrying and chop tackling. There are benefits to smashing into rucks and big late hits on halfbacks but I wouldn’t want him to go too far in the other direction.

He’s a very different player from Stander and will not be better if he tries to copy him.

One thing he could develop is Beirne style ruck poaching. He has the quickness, footwork and accuracy to be more of a threat there.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:
wwed wrote:is Josh Murphy injured?
Exams?
Nope, picked up an injury in the recent A game I believe.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Or Daly possibly?
Daly would be guess, with JOB on the wing.

Frawley could move to 15 and Reid comes on at 10.
In terms of time played in positions, another possible logical switch would be to bring on a centre (O'Brien or Reid, depending on the game) for Kearney and put Daly to 15 (where he was tried last season) and ROL to the wing.
People on this board were still pushing for ROL on the wing at the beginning of the season, which I never really got but anyhoo.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: I’m not sure, most players will never have the accuracy he has carrying and chop tackling. There are benefits to smashing into rucks and big late hits on halfbacks but I wouldn’t want him to go too far in the other direction.

He’s a very different player from Stander and will not be better if he tries to copy him.

One thing he could develop is Beirne style ruck poaching. He has the quickness, footwork and accuracy to be more of a threat there.
He doesn't have to completely try and change his game, just add something to it. If you're a No8 defended by a scrum-half, trying to evade him can play to the defender's strengths ... he's going to be quicker than you, lower than you and you can end up giving him a side-on tackle where you can't bring your strength to bear.

Sometimes it's just better to try and run through a guy. It's the other side of the mismatch - backs running around forwards, forwards running over backs.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
ronk wrote: I’m not sure, most players will never have the accuracy he has carrying and chop tackling. There are benefits to smashing into rucks and big late hits on halfbacks but I wouldn’t want him to go too far in the other direction.

He doesn't have to completely try and change his game, just add something to it. If you're a No8 defended by a scrum-half, trying to evade him can play to the defender's strengths ... he's going to be quicker than you, lower than you and you can end up giving him a side-on tackle where you can't bring your strength to bear.

Sometimes it's just better to try and run through a guy. It's the other side of the mismatch - backs running around forwards, forwards running over backs.
I'd be in Ronk's camp on Deegan.
Deegan is a Rolls Royce fresh off the assembly requiring a few minor adjustments and some customisation.
As Jezzer might put it "He's not the second coming of Heaslip but he is the first coming of Deegan".
Jamie wasn't the finished article at the age Deegan is and look how that worked out.
Mention of Jezzer, he hasn't posted here in a while.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote:

Nothing I like to see more.