Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by backrower8 »

Anyone else concerned by another scrum penalty against due to Porter taking over from Tadhg? To me its a very worrying trend.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

backrower8 wrote:Anyone else concerned by another scrum penalty against due to Porter taking over from Tadhg? To me its a very worrying trend.
As a prop, no. Poor refereeing was the cause for the penalty. Reputation based refereeing instead of actually refereeing based on what was occurring.
Anyone But New Zealand
XyzFoo
Beginner

Post by XyzFoo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Have no recording of that. Anybody know where I can get a stream replay?
Up on acrossthetasman.com already
Any other sources, do you know? I'm not a member at acrossthetasman.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

XyzFoo wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Have no recording of that. Anybody know where I can get a stream replay?
Up on acrossthetasman.com already
This. So much this.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
XyzFoo wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Up on acrossthetasman.com already
This. So much this.
I think i have a couple of invites if you want to pm

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

FLIP wrote:
backrower8 wrote:Anyone else concerned by another scrum penalty against due to Porter taking over from Tadhg? To me its a very worrying trend.
As a prop, no. Poor refereeing was the cause for the penalty. Reputation based refereeing instead of actually refereeing based on what was occurring.
Tell me more because whether it is him or the referee's interpretation of his reoutation it is amounting to the same thing for Ireland and Leinster, penalties against us at scrum time. Ironoically, he was very solid at scrumtime in 2018 when he had less experience, not so much in 2019.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Icarus wrote:The most interesting (I am tempted to use a more impactive adjective) vignette of the match:
Went over to commiserate with the nearest Ulster supporter afterwards: a young one waving an Ulster flag. It turned out she was a Munster lady: ‘anyone but Leinster’ and all that.
On the flip side my daughter and I were sitting beside a really lovely lady who brought her Leinster flag with her, had a Blue Room band on her wrist and told us she is a Leinster season ticket holder - she can't get to her own team's games because of time commitments and so supports us for all bar two games every season. She eventually felt comfortable enough with us to show us that under her blue coat she was wearing her Munster jersey.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Xanthippe wrote:
Icarus wrote:The most interesting (I am tempted to use a more impactive adjective) vignette of the match:
Went over to commiserate with the nearest Ulster supporter afterwards: a young one waving an Ulster flag. It turned out she was a Munster lady: ‘anyone but Leinster’ and all that.
On the flip side my daughter and I were sitting beside a really lovely lady who brought her Leinster flag with her, had a Blue Room band on her wrist and told us she is a Leinster season ticket holder - she can't get to her own team's games because of time commitments and so supports us for all bar two games every season. She eventually felt comfortable enough with us to show us that under her blue coat she was wearing her Munster jersey.
Then you had some oik in a Leinster jersey conversing in
a very passable Armagh accent and baffling Ulster fans. It's just something I do to mess with their heads, I can do the accent quite well as my mum's a Nordie. When I tell them the truth they alway say "ah now would not support the same team as your mummy?!" I always do when you're not playing us is the reply
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Anyone know what the story with ROL is? Was he injured going off? Haven't heard much about it since the game.

I thought the 10/12 didn't really work in the first half for us.
I agree. Byrne was pretty nervy at the start and I thought his distribution wasn't great - I know Ringrose's charged down kick was poor but look at the pass he gets from Byrne. Through much of the game he was distributing deeper than Sexton and the 12 channel was crowded as a consequence. Balls of steel to put the kick over though!
In fairness part of it was Ulster's brilliant line speed too.

They really shut us down. Cave did a good job on Ringrose and we struggled to release our back line.

Could've done with Henshaw to give a bit more oomph or with one or two of our forwards using out the back passes to hold their defense a bit. I heard Andy Dunne was fairly critical of Byrne on OTB yesterday too for not turning them with kicks, but not sure I'd agree with that.

I think Dunne's general point is Leinster were too scripted. He says the same about Ireland which I would agree with. The problem with being too scripted is the opposition don't have to think much and can target certain areas. Ulster targeted Ringrose time and time again and it was easy.

I think the match has one of the highest tackle counts of all time with 430 or thereabouts.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I think the problem with that view point is that it makes out every team Ireland and Leinster face are sh!t and they beat us (in this case not even that) inspite of them being sh!t because of our tactics, it shows a lack of respect for our opposition. I think it is a bit lazy.

We were in the quarter final of the Heineken Cup against a pumped up rival, Ulster played magnificently and you know what they still lost. We are not where we were last season for numerous reasons but we won and gave Ulster cheap scores. I will take that.

We need to get better, all teams should be striving for that.

The biggest disappointment for Ireland and Leinster on Saturday was Dan Leavy's injury because that guy makes every team he plays in much better and gives us a much better chance of winning when he plays.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

OTT wrote:I think the problem with that view point is that it makes out every team Ireland and Leinster face are sh!t and they beat us (in this case not even that) inspite of them being sh!t because of our tactics, it shows a lack of respect for our opposition. I think it is a bit lazy.

We were in the quarter final of the Heineken Cup against a pumped up rival, Ulster played magnificently and you know what they still lost. We are not where we were last season for numerous reasons but we won and gave Ulster cheap scores. I will take that.

We need to get better, all teams should be striving for that.

The biggest disappointment for Ireland and Leinster on Saturday was Dan Leavy's injury because that guy makes every team he plays in much better and gives us a much better chance of winning when he plays.
After listening to Dunne, I watched the 1st half again last night. Only twice in the 1st half did Ulster use significant line speed to close down a Leinster passing move in the outside center channel. The 1st one was a penalty against them for off side and the 2nd was a knock on (I thought deliberate) in the tackle by McCloskey that led to a Leinster scrum. I'll watch the 2nd half tonite.
I really think Dunne comes up with a discussion point at the start on the season, repeats it before every game in the hope that like a stopped clock he'll be correct at least twice a season.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I agreed with Dunne, thought we played into Ulster's hands a bit. But I think that he/most people have missed the fact that Ross Byrne's injury seemed to get worse as the game went on. So yes he probably did ship too much ball without putting much value on it, but it was partly because he couldn't move very well. I didn't like the first phase moves we tried with those flashy inside balls that didn't work. BOD was on OTB and said that we should have been setting up rucks to take away their linespeed and then going for those moves.

I'm a big fan of Dunne but I don't think he was asking for much more from Saturday really, mainly just a bit more of a kicking game from Ross. Hard to argue with that.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really had the opinion watching the game on Satyrday that Ulster mid-field had read our attacking script. Not saying it was another 'Leeds Utd' homework project, but Cave and McCloskey read RO'L and Ringer like a book and Jordan knocked on two options under pressure.

Didn't agree with Dunne's analysis.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Really had the opinion watching the game on Satyrday that Ulster mid-field had read our attacking script. Not saying it was another 'Leeds Utd' homework project, but Cave and McCloskey read RO'L and Ringer like a book and Jordan knocked on two options under pressure.

Didn't agree with Dunne's analysis.
I think like Hugo said having big boshing back like Henshaw in particular but also to a lesser extent Kearney at times or even Lowe coming off the wing tends to fix defenders a bit more. 10s with a limited running game need that option to take out a defender or 2 IMO and none of ROL or Larmour were, though DK/Byrne could’ve done a jibe there.

Plus, if they’ve you that well read it’s not entirely certain that they’ve sold out on the pass to the exclusion of all else. Like maybe they want you to play it closer to the line for the intercept or turn it over with a kick into some space for Lowry or Stockdale. Like when Reid tried to kick thrust got blocked down(3rd of the match). The point being the alternative option isn’t always a positive outcome.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

In hindsight this was the toughest game we've had to play in the Heineken CC so far this season.
We squeaked thru and was probably the wake up call we needed.
Ulster would have beaten Toulouse too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:In hindsight this was the toughest game we've had to play in the Heineken CC so far this season.
You're off your trolly Oldschool.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:In hindsight this was the toughest game we've had to play in the Heineken CC so far this season.
You're off your trolly Oldschool.
The trolley count reduced by one, Simon Harris will be pleased.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

Best performance from Leinster in 2019 by a mile. Good to see so many players on their game. Henshaw, ringrose, Lowe and Fardy were the four standout players.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never