Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by wixfjord »

Must say I thought Treadwell was excellent for them too. Great carrying.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FourMasters wrote:
wixfjord wrote: I wonder might we see Penny dropped in at some stage...
Is Penny in the squad?
I was thinking more for the Pro14 run in and semi, but that's a good point, he's not iirc.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:I've never been so deflated after a knock out win.
Absolutely this. I didn't even realise how good a game it was or how the Stockdale knock on was such a Freddie Burns style moment until I looked at twitter this morning. Rugby can be really sh!t sometimes, really feel for Dan and hope the Docs have been able to give him a rough plan of recovery so that he can look forward. He's still very young, lots of big games to be involved in and trophies to win in the years ahead.

That was seriously intense. I thought we were a little bit lateral out wide and our carriers were too static and isolated at times, but Ulster forced a lot of that with how aggressive they were. Both teams were a bit sloppy in terms of silly penalties, but in general it was a really high quality game. Our scramble defence was excellent, got caught out a few times but managed to save it collectively.

The battle between Stockdale and Byrne was great. I'd say it was about even by the end. Loved how they kept going after each other. At one stage Adam lost the high ball contest but then buried him into touch straight away. I didn't understand why we kept targeting Stockdale in the air when he was doing so well though.

Something is off with us compared to last year IMO. A bit like Ireland we just don't have the same kind of dynamism up front and I think that's partly why our backs were getting lateral. We're only two wins away from winning it and yet I can't see it happening, especially without Josh and Dan.

Dave didn't get much ball in hand but I thought he had a brilliant game. The focus will obviously be on Stockdale dropping the ball but the way he got across and didn't give up on it was top class, delighted for him.

That's the best I've seen Ulster play in a long time and the future is bright. They were seriously up for it from the start and their fans were great, felt like they had nearly half the stadium when Treadwell scored. They had a few guys who I thought would struggle in a game like that but Cave was superb and I've never seen Burns play as well as that. Special mention for Luke Marshall too, out for a year and then plays like that in such a tough game, brilliant. Henderson was immense from the off, you'd never have know that he's been struggling with injury. Sad that Best probably bows out for Ulster like that, deserved a great send off.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote:Good result if not the performance we've come to expect I'd say.

Ulster's first 10, possibly 13 points were gifted to them, really surprised at Ringer doing the same thing twice.

Our backplay was pretty poor and I thought we could've done with RK starting. Larmour was caught a few times, albeit was probably our best back coming into the line.

Thought Ryan and Conan were our best players.

Most worrying now is our 7 selection. SOB just doesn't look like the player he was.

Can we win two trophies with him at 7?

I wonder might we see Penny dropped in at some stage...
Ha, I thought Larmour was really solid with the basic stuff but that his sideways running cost us fluidity in attack.

I would probably have Penny involved but I could see Rhys being used as a 7 and Fardy moving back to 6 whenever SOB isn't on the field. I know Leavy was a great impact sub to have but regardless of that I don't think SOB will be going for 80 minutes any time soon so that could be an option after 50/60 minutes in big games.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

God I wish Jordi hadn't left.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Could see Deegan going into 7.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

something about Leavys injury I just can't shake, just utterly devastating.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

CiaranIrl wrote:I've never been so deflated after a knock out win.
felt the same. hats off to Ulster though.
Missed the saracens game but I think both Ulster and Edinburgh will be kicking themselves this morning. Stockdales sloppy knock on when in goal and the stupid shoulder block on beirne in the endinburgh game (by shoehorn I think) was pivotal. "Fine margins" as every pundit was saying...dearly hoping for a toulouse win today. I think we are probably best placed to stop saracens, no disrespect to racing or munster intended, but, a home semi would help.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

DK's hit and rucking for our final turnover is worth a re-watch. Brilliant stuff.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:God I wish Jordi hadn't left.
I'd say Jordi wishes the same. He's no closer to the Ireland squad than this time last year.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Anybody know an excuse good enough to get out of your first child’s christening to go watch the game?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

tingman wrote:Go Toulouse- we will not want to travel to Racing playing like this....yes Ulster were good but we offered little offensively....thought our back 3 were insipid....Byrne is an athlete.....not convinced about having it all rugby wise.....DK spirited but limited.....Larmour for all the hype was a speed bump for Stockdale...this was a game made for J Lo....Overall we are not running full throttle.
personally I'd prefer to take on the Good Time Charlies and Zeeebbsss in Paree.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

deco wrote:
I'd say Jordi wishes the same. He's no closer to the Ireland squad than this time last year.
Doubt it, he seems to be really enjoying his time up here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Anybody know an excuse good enough to get out of your first child’s christening to go watch the game?
Reveal that you're not the father ?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Was a great game to watch. Hats off to Ross Byrne for playing through injury to secure it for us. Stockdale and many of the Ulster players played really well. cooney must be pushing marmion & murray all the way now, henderson had a good showing and marshall looked very dangerous when he came on (possible bolter for the wc? hes always played well for Ireland). For us, lineout was again unacceptable and is an area we need to really improve if we want to win the competition. Our kicking out of hand from our back three was not up to scratch at times and put us under unnecessary pressure. O'Brien and ruddock need to carry more together and Healy needs to stop giving away stupid penalties. Devastated for Leavy, he played a huge role in wining the game for us when he came on
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So much this, as the kids say

Can we get him back as a medical joker??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote:Phew!
Ulster played well, no doubt about it, way above anything they have shown this season.
We were ok, but we showed a lot of balls for that last few mins and closed out the game.
For their 2nd try, seemed like an obvious forward pass in the build up to Marshall's grounding, they never showed a replay so ,,,,,?
Once again we found a way to win. Got to be proud of the guys. And the management of course. :clap:
Really hope Toulouse win tomorrow.
On the forward pass, I was directly in line with it and it was indeed a mile forward... incredible that everybody missed it. Even the Ulster lads behind us were amazed (and delighted) that it wasn't called back.
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Hats off also to Luke McGrath on only his second game back after going off injured vs Toulouse in the RDS back in January. Luke had to come back on for JGP, who got a knock on the head trying to prevent the Marshall grounding, and ended up playing nearly a full match. Whether or which, I was delighted he was the one marshalling the pack, when we needed to run down the clock. It's something he's very good at, but yesterday was an absolute masterclass from him taking us though 40+ phases and then booting the ball off the park! I was reminded of the away match last year vs Exeter, particularly the Conan try. Might I suggest that after those final exertions vs Ulster that our form is on the way back up again....
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Experimental wrote:Was a great game to watch. Hats off to Ross Byrne for playing through injury to secure it for us. Stockdale and many of the Ulster players played really well. cooney must be pushing marmion & murray all the way now, henderson had a good showing and marshall looked very dangerous when he came on (possible bolter for the wc? hes always played well for Ireland). For us, lineout was again unacceptable and is an area we need to really improve if we want to win the competition. Our kicking out of hand from our back three was not up to scratch at times and put us under unnecessary pressure. O'Brien and ruddock need to carry more together and Healy needs to stop giving away stupid penalties. Devastated for Leavy, he played a huge role in wining the game for us when he came on
Thought Ruddock was great, an almost faultless blindside performance. Jack Conan turned on the power in a big match in a big way. Could be timing his run to perfection, because CJ Stander looked very very ordinary against Edinburgh ... full of heart, but just not the player he used to be. Conan was getting a lot of gainline, and then he was able to see the gap, make the break and get the pass away for the try. James Ryan was a phenomenon of course, as he so often is. An outstanding effort from a man who is so often our best player.

Cian's first half was poor. Missed his first two tackles and gave away a really soft penalty. In fairness to him, he scrummaged well against a serious operator in Marty Moore. Tadhg was better, Cronin better again. Cro is what he is as a hooker, just like O'Mahony is what he is as a blindside: not a prototype, some holes in his game that shouldn't be there, but outstanding at what he does well. There's no cult of personality around Cronin though.

Mick Kearney did really, really well when he came on. Fresh legs as a carrier, good option as a lineout jumper and physically put himself about. He had a real dud of a season last year [370 mins in total] and it looked as though he was on his way out, but he has done much better this term and is carrying water whenever needed.

Seanie looked like Stander: in decline. It is what it is. Injury has taken a huge toll on him. He put in the effort, but he's just not able to do the things he used to be able to do. Leavy is a dreadful loss. Been quite a while since I felt so disappointed for a player.
Icarus
Knowledgeable

Post by Icarus »

The most interesting (I am tempted to use a more impactive adjective) vignette of the match:
Went over to commiserate with the nearest Ulster supporter afterwards: a young one waving an Ulster flag. It turned out she was a Munster lady: ‘anyone but Leinster’ and all that.