Sean O'Brien

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Sean O'Brien

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'd be amazed if he was offered more than a one-year deal, given age and injury profile. To do more would have been reckless by Leinster Management. On basis of last three years a contract of €120k p.a. would have been about €20k per game. That's almost Premier League soccer level.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I read this and couldn't really figure out if the quarter comment was accurate.

He's on 1.2m over three years in London Irish seemingly. Quarter of that would be 300k over three years here.

Surely he was at least offered that?

Maybe he means he wasn't offered a three year contract by Leinster?

Also he'd be absolutely mad not to take a three year deal on such huge money!
Maybe he wasn't given an offer at all. Maybe because he's played so little for Leinster over the space of the last contract that he wasn't seen as a viable option at all. I suppose it is a business after all.
The article does say "after no formal offer". Hard to imagine that, but perhaps it would have been a bit dickish to offer him a massive pay decrease
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Laighin Break wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:
wixfjord wrote:I read this and couldn't really figure out if the quarter comment was accurate.

He's on 1.2m over three years in London Irish seemingly. Quarter of that would be 300k over three years here.

Surely he was at least offered that?

Maybe he means he wasn't offered a three year contract by Leinster?

Also he'd be absolutely mad not to take a three year deal on such huge money!
Maybe he wasn't given an offer at all. Maybe because he's played so little for Leinster over the space of the last contract that he wasn't seen as a viable option at all. I suppose it is a business after all.
The article does say "after no formal offer". Hard to imagine that, but perhaps it would have been a bit dickish to offer him a massive pay decrease
Doesn't mean that there weren't any discussions, most likely situation was that both parties realised that a mutually satisfactory deal wasn't on.

I actually think this is the perfect time for him to move on. The World Cup makes it a natural ending point and because of the injuries to Leavy and Josh he's going out as a starter.

Either way he's one of our best ever players and I wish him all the best in future.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Realistically, we operate on a relatively shoestring budget for the size of our squad. We’re lucky in that we don’t pay the wages for many of our very best players, but dropping €120k a year on a lad who has rarely featured for us over half a decade at this point makes no financial sense. That’s assuming the figure of €120k is even accurate which I don’t buy.

Seanie still has something to offer I feel, and I personally would have loved to see us hang on to him, especially considering Leavy is already gone for the entirety of next season, but the money just doesn’t make sense.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I also think in terms of squad management with his age and injury profile along with the need to gain the likes of Scott Penney big match experience it doesn't make sense either. Hopefully victory in Saint Jame's Park will be the dream send off he deserves. Fingers crossed!!!