Sean O'Brien

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

carlow man
Enlightened

Sean O'Brien

Post by carlow man »

Off to London Irish after the world cup. Gutted but he's going to make a fair few quid by joining them plus raises the profile of irish players playing for them.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Sean O'Brien

Post by curates_egg »

Being discussed on two other threads since yestserday...but this one could maybe left to positive messages of well wishes.

Back when it all began.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Yes, not great, but realistically his appearances in Blue over the last couple of years have been few and far between... Best of luck to him
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Yeah but this guy deserves his own thread so thought I would start it off. Some player!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

carlow man wrote:Yeah but this guy deserves his own thread so thought I would start it off. Some player!
Would be hard to top the consistency of his performances 2010-12. In fact, he always performed to an extremely high standard when fully fit.
Not sure if we ever had or will have quite as good a ball carrier as him in his pomp.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Still think he could have gone somewhere better than London Irish who are a bit of a yo-yo club these days. Need the infrastructure of Bristol really. He could walk into any of the premiership teams but it prob came down to who offered the best package and he's looking at his pension pot no doubt. Suprised Bristol never shower an interest before getting Hughes on board as he will be in England camp when the tests are on. Prob had that move lined up before sob was being thrown around.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Fits in nicely with the Not nots, Sad to loose him but probably better he is not playing for them than not playing for us.

Wonder has any deal been done to keep the irfu sweet and selecting him
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

If, as reported, a 3 year deal, at 32, and £450,000 a year then its a no brainer for the lad.

Go for it Seanie with best wishes. At his best he was irresistible.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Absolute Leinster great. One of the most feared and admired players in world rugby.
Hardly played for us over the last few years but hey, we didn't pay his wages.
Monster!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

move to munster was ruled out as SOB felt he was too old to start leaning Afrikaans
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Barry wrote:move to munster was ruled out as SOB felt he was too old to start leaning Afrikaans
Get yer coat Barry!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Great move for Seanie. Bemused as to why Irish would sign a very very injury prone player in arguably the most attritional league in the world.

From our perspective his appearances have been few in frequent in recent years so while he is a loss we can plug the gap. What a player when he was on his game though.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster legend, hope he gets a good run in, injury free to end his leinster career.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

One of our greatest ever players really. When he was on form, none of our backrows (except maybe Heaslip) ever really came close. World Class is one of those phrases that gets thrown around a lot but it definitely applies to him. He was/is a more or less complete and perfect seven.

He was a big part of breaking the 'posh boys' stereotype that followed us around in the 2000s.

If he goes I hope he gets the sendoff he deserves both for a Leinster and Ireland because he's a legend for both. I hope he goes to Japan because he deserves one last shot with the Irish team.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Fantastic player who always gave his 100% to Leinster. When we think of golden years for Leinster, his name will always be shining brightly
He will be missed terribly in terms of his experience and his ability to pass on his knowledge to our your back rows. .

Strange offer from LI given his age and recent injury profile

But he owes us nothing at all, he has given everything for our Club
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Amazing player, instrumental to leinsters success earlier this decade. Hopefully stays injury free and competes for both 7 shirts until the end of the World Cup.

Best of luck to him.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

curates_egg wrote:Being discussed on two other threads since yestserday...but this one could maybe left to positive messages of well wishes.

Back when it all began.
In keeping with this sentiment, there was an Olsc event in the old Guinness store house many moons ago where Reggie was asked who we should be keeping an eye out for in the academy. Without a nano seconds consideration "Sean O'Brien". He expressed his wish for Sean to move to hooker but as the sole Irishman to scare 2020 world player of the yr Richie McCaw it's hard to disagree with Seanie's choice. One does wonder though, what that could have done for his longevity. A ridiculous player who will no doubt be the source of much consternation by my future/potential grandchildren as I insist their fave proffessional sports person couldn't hold a candle to Sean O'Brien.
I shall continue to dream of a team of....
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Great deal for him and completely understandable he took it given his injury record and likely (rational) reluctance of the IRFU to give a contract on terms anywhere near those.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It has been a pleasure to tech him play in blue and green.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Very best wishes Sean. You deserve a (hopefully) nice final act of a great career in LI. A few bob there too for you also. No harm you deserve it.

I hope you stay fit to enjoy it and show the GP your unique brand of precision, aggression and power. One of our very, very best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"