Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Jonny tight lips » March 13th, 2019, 11:29 pm

backrower8 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Basically pick Jack against Edinburgh, see how he goes and take it from there....


I want to see Jack bench for Ireland in Cardiff and stick it to the Welsh in the last 20 rather than give them turnovers and penalties courtesy of Killer's inept scrummaging.


Kilcoyne is in the Ireland 23 on merit, I think when he came on Ireland won about eight before we lost one scrum, also he played well around the pitch.
Jonny tight lips
Bookworm
 
Posts: 152
Joined: February 27th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby FLIP » March 14th, 2019, 10:27 am

Jonny tight lips wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Basically pick Jack against Edinburgh, see how he goes and take it from there....


I want to see Jack bench for Ireland in Cardiff and stick it to the Welsh in the last 20 rather than give them turnovers and penalties courtesy of Killer's inept scrummaging.


Kilcoyne is in the Ireland 23 on merit, I think when he came on Ireland won about eight before we lost one scrum, also he played well around the pitch.


That wasn't because he had done well. That was because the referee already had it in his mind that Ireland were dominant and therefore wasn't looking to penalise us at the scrum in any way shape or form - a ref looking for all illegal play would penalise Kilcoyne all week long.

The fact that we got turned over by a 7 man pack is a huge black mark on the all Munster front row on the pitch at the time.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Mullet
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby bluemagic » March 18th, 2019, 11:03 am

With a view to continuity and bringing players up to speed. Hopefully now the players are away from the dross in the Ireland camp they can come back to playing proper rugby with a bit of a chip on their shoulder. Would like to see:

1. McGrath
2. Cronin
3. Porter
4. Molony
5. Fardy
6. Deegan
7. Leavy
8. Doris
9. McGrath (if fit)
10. Ross Byrne
11. James Lowe
12. Henshaw (if fit)
13. ROL
14. Fergalicous
15. Larmour
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
User avatar
bluemagic
Graduate
 
Posts: 732
Joined: February 26th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Dave Cahill » March 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm

LEINSTER ARE SET to be boosted by the return to fitness of Luke McGrath and Dan Leavy for Friday night’s Guinness Pro14 trip to Edinburgh, while Joe Tomane is also in line to make his injury comeback at Murrayfield.

McGrath has recovered from the knee injury which sidelined him for the Six Nations while Leavy is desperate for game-time after shaking off a calf issue sustained back in December.

Leavy has not played since the inter-pro win over Connacht at Christmas and was pushing for a return to action for Ireland in the final Six Nations game against Wales, but Joe Schmidt preferred Sean O’Brien in the openside position.

The 24-year-old has played just eight games for club and country during an injury-disrupted season but his availability ahead of Leinster’s Heineken Champions Cup quarter-final against Ulster a week on Saturday is a major fillip for Leo Cullen.

Tomane, meanwhile, has made excellent progress in his comeback from hamstring surgery and the Wallaby winger could make his first appearance in blue since November on Friday night [KO 7.35pm, eir Sport/Premier Sport].

There was also another positive injury update on Nick McCarthy, the Munster-bound scrum-half, who is back in full training after a foot problem which has kept him out of action since November.

Leinster have already assured themselves of a home semi-final with four regular-season Pro14 games remaining, and will be bidding to maintain their winning momentum in the Scottish capital in round 18.

https://www.the42.ie/leinster-injury-up ... =shortlink
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21665
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby wixfjord » March 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Excellent news. Leavy is a huge boost for us for the QF.
wixfjord
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4502
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby hugonaut » March 18th, 2019, 11:50 pm

My preferred squad for this fixture would be the following:

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Fardy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan;
Backs [9-15]: L. McGrath, R. Byrne, Lowe, Reid, McLoughlin, A. Byrne, Larmour;
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, Tracy, Bent, M.Kearney, Doris, O'Sullivan, C. O'Brien, D. Kearney

Tough to leave Ferg out of a matchday squad, but DK is quietly having a very productive season for us – really performing at a high level in terms of metres gained/carry, defenders beaten/carry and clean breaks/carry.

I think James Lowe is going to miss out against Ulster ... just can't see Dev being back in time, which means Fardy is a definite starter, and we are really deep at winger [Larmour, Adam Byrne, DK, Ferg, Tomane] compared to scrum-half.
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4848
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Leoslovechild » March 19th, 2019, 11:51 am

hugonaut wrote:My preferred squad for this fixture would be the following:

Forwards [1-8]: J. McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Fardy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan;
Backs [9-15]: L. McGrath, R. Byrne, Lowe, Reid, McLoughlin, A. Byrne, Larmour;
Subs [16-23]: E. Byrne, Tracy, Bent, M.Kearney, Doris, O'Sullivan, C. O'Brien, D. Kearney

Tough to leave Ferg out of a matchday squad, but DK is quietly having a very productive season for us – really performing at a high level in terms of metres gained/carry, defenders beaten/carry and clean breaks/carry.

I think James Lowe is going to miss out against Ulster ... just can't see Dev being back in time, which means Fardy is a definite starter, and we are really deep at winger [Larmour, Adam Byrne, DK, Ferg, Tomane] compared to scrum-half.


Woul like to see Tomane at 12 for this and Mc Carthy on the bench
User avatar
Leoslovechild
Mullet
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Location: baku azerbaijan

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby mildlyinterested » March 19th, 2019, 11:53 am

I'd rather lose my eyes than see Tomane at 12.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Flash Gordon » March 19th, 2019, 12:20 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:I'd rather lose my eyes than see Tomane at 12.


Unless something fundamental has changed in the way he plays the game I'd agree, he's shown nothing to suggest he adds significant value to Leinster since he arrived. Which is a shame given that Henshaw is so injury prone, we could use a world class option at 12.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
User avatar
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Location: Up the orse of the tag bunny

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Dave Cahill » March 19th, 2019, 12:30 pm

He's started there twice for us. Lets leave the torches with the pitchforks for a little longer
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21665
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby mildlyinterested » March 19th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Leinster have at least three better 12's than him.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Dave Cahill » March 19th, 2019, 12:55 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:Leinster have at least three better 12's than him.


Okay, name the four number 12s that are available for Friday night that are better than the Australian International signed by Leinster's most successful coaching team.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy
 
Posts: 21665
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby mildlyinterested » March 19th, 2019, 1:22 pm

he was an australian international on the wing.

two superior 12's available on friday in Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien.
mildlyinterested
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3281
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 9:56 am

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby Flash Gordon » March 19th, 2019, 2:34 pm

To be fair he's been unlucky with injury and hasn't had much game time. However, before we signed him I wondered was a he a Leinster player and from what I've seen thus far I haven't seen any evidence that he is. On the wing I'd take Lowe, Larmour, Dave, Ferg or Adam over him currently. Our best centres are Henshaw, Ringrose, O'Brien, Reid and ROL currently with Larmour able to slot in if needs be. I'd prefer to have a Jimmy Gopperth type player as an option personally. Anyway, as you say, let's see what he's got but I'd be very surprised to see him line out against Ulster.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
User avatar
Flash Gordon
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Location: Up the orse of the tag bunny

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby backrower8 » March 19th, 2019, 3:17 pm

mildlyinterested wrote:he was an australian international on the wing.

two superior 12's available on friday in Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien.


:happy clapper:
backrower8
Graduate
 
Posts: 617
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby backrower8 » March 19th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Flash Gordon wrote:To be fair he's been unlucky with injury and hasn't had much game time. However, before we signed him I wondered was a he a Leinster player and from what I've seen thus far I haven't seen any evidence that he is. On the wing I'd take Lowe, Larmour, Dave, Ferg or Adam over him currently. Our best centres are Henshaw, Ringrose, O'Brien, Reid and ROL currently with Larmour able to slot in if needs be. I'd prefer to have a Jimmy Gopperth type player as an option personally. Anyway, as you say, let's see what he's got but I'd be very surprised to see him line out against Ulster.


+1
backrower8
Graduate
 
Posts: 617
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby leinsterforever » March 19th, 2019, 4:47 pm

I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.

For Edinburgh, I think they need to pick as many as are available of the ones they plan to play against Ulster to try to get some semblance of rhythm going into the game. Whoever they have down to start at 12 against Ulster should start in that position in this game imo.

mildlyinterested wrote:he was an australian international on the wing.

two superior 12's available on friday in Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien.


And ROL. I think he's more suited to inside centre than outside centre personally.

I'd feel more comfortable with McFadden at 12 than Tomane as well.
leinsterforever
Enlightened
 
Posts: 952
Joined: March 18th, 2015, 2:20 am

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby hugonaut » March 19th, 2019, 8:35 pm

leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.


Good point, I forgot about Barry Daly entirely there. We are really, really deep at wing!
User avatar
hugonaut
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4848
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby tingman » March 19th, 2019, 8:50 pm

leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.

For Edinburgh, I think they need to pick as many as are available of the ones they plan to play against Ulster to try to get some semblance of rhythm going into the game. Whoever they have down to start at 12 against Ulster should start in that position in this game imo.

mildlyinterested wrote:he was an australian international on the wing.

two superior 12's available on friday in Noel Reid and Conor O'Brien.


And ROL. I think he's more suited to inside centre than outside centre personally.

I'd feel more comfortable with McFadden at 12 than Tomane as well.


Have to agree with this.....has impressed this season when playing....love to see him get a consistent run.
tingman
Bookworm
 
Posts: 194
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Postby leinster23 » March 19th, 2019, 10:57 pm

ROL should be our top 12 when Henshaw's out. He's been consistently excellent there when called on in big games despite not having any other real experience there. Against Toulouse and Bath this year and the Pro14 knockouts last year, he deserves to be second choice. With that in mind I'd play him there this week and I'd put Larmour on the left wing as well. I'm guessing we won't have anyone who started against Wales so I'd hope for something like McGrath, Cronin, Porter, Molony, Kearney, Ruddock, Leavy/Penny/SOB, Conan/Deegan (deserves a game at 8), JGP, Byrne, Larmour, ROL, O'Brien, Adam Byrne, Daly and Tracy, Ed Byrne, Abdaladze, Dunne, A backrow, Hopefully Luke McGrath, Reid, Lowe
leinster23
Beginner
 
Posts: 41
Joined: November 21st, 2018, 2:04 am

PreviousNext

Return to Leinster Addicts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot [Bot], SemrushBot [Bot] and 4 guests