Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Edinburgh Away, 22/03, 7.35pm

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd be tempted to have COB at 12 and ROL on the left wing next week.

I really think Joe has missed a trick by not having ROL in the squad recently, think he could be like a modern Ferg and would be very useful in a World Cup squad. If you had Joey on the bench then you'd have the perfect cover on the bench.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.
I like Barry Daly, but there’s no way he should be selected over any of those wingers. He can’t produce the kind of magic that Larmour is capable of and he doesn’t have the strength or ability in the air of Byrne which has become a big part of how we play.

He’s most similar to McFadden and while he’s a lot pacier, I still think McFadden is a lot better defensively so would pick McFadden in the games where we’re looking to contain the opposition winger.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Serb wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:I'm surprised more people don't rate Barry Daly higher. He's the fastest, the best defensively, and he scores loads of tries. Have to say I'd have him starting the quarter final on the right wing ahead of Larmour or Byrne or McFadden.
I like Barry Daly, but there’s no way he should be selected over any of those wingers. He can’t produce the kind of magic that Larmour is capable of and he doesn’t have the strength or ability in the air of Byrne which has become a big part of how we play.

He’s most similar to McFadden and while he’s a lot pacier, I still think McFadden is a lot better defensively so would pick McFadden in the games where we’re looking to contain the opposition winger.
As with most squads with multiple players who are capable of high level rugby, it will be horses for courses. There are many scenarios where Daly should and will be picked ahead of the other 3

Byrne gives a huge advantage in the air going forward but I think Daly is far superior at fielding space in behind - personally I think he'd make an excellent fullback. I also think he pips Larmour in this regard of positional awareness and marshalling in the backfield.

As a pure finisher, Daly is only behind Lowe in that regard for me. Leo alluded to it last year. Daly has a knack for getting tries that others just don't get. Call it luck or intuition, his nose for the line is fantastic.

Against Ulster, we could do a lot worse than Daly on the left wing. But it could just as easily be Byrne. I don't think Ferg will be in the conversation. Or possibly for the 23 shirt
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Serb wrote:

As with most squads with multiple players who are capable of high level rugby, it will be horses for courses. There are many scenarios where Daly should and will be picked ahead of the other 3

Byrne gives a huge advantage in the air going forward but I think Daly is far superior at fielding space in behind - personally I think he'd make an excellent fullback. I also think he pips Larmour in this regard of positional awareness and marshalling in the backfield.

As a pure finisher, Daly is only behind Lowe in that regard for me. Leo alluded to it last year. Daly has a knack for getting tries that others just don't get. Call it luck or intuition, his nose for the line is fantastic.

Against Ulster, we could do a lot worse than Daly on the left wing. But it could just as easily be Byrne. I don't think Ferg will be in the conversation. Or possibly for the 23 shirt
You’d have to be concerned about Byrne up against stockdale defensively. Although stockdale is not the best in the air and I think Byrne could target him there.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Ferg's good at big hits, but I think Daly's the man if you're looking for really good defensive reads.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd be tempted to have COB at 12 and ROL on the left wing next week.

I really think Joe has missed a trick by not having ROL in the squad recently, think he could be like a modern Ferg and would be very useful in a World Cup squad. If you had Joey on the bench then you'd have the perfect cover on the bench.
Couldn't agree more with ROL on the left wing. To me it's disappointing and surprising that that seems to have been canned.

I think ROL has the quality to be playing a starring role for the first team in the biggest games - instead of being the bit-part player relying on injuries to get in the XXIII he seems to have become. Considering him for selection on the left wing would open up much more chances to include him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

RO'L and Ringer in the middle of the field against Ulster for me.

Rhys, Dan and Jack to start in back-row.

Fardy & James R in the row.

Cian, Nugget & Tadgh up front.

Form is critical to half-back and back three selections against Ulster. Edinburgh game will offer some clues.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

leinsterforever wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'd be tempted to have COB at 12 and ROL on the left wing next week.

Couldn't agree more with ROL on the left wing. To me it's disappointing and surprising that that seems to have been canned.

I think ROL has the quality to be playing a starring role for the first team in the biggest games - instead of being the bit-part player relying on injuries to get in the XXIII he seems to have become. Considering him for selection on the left wing would open up much more chances to include him.
Obviously I agree with you but I get it because his role as a backup centre became quite important and we have plenty of wingers. Ordinarily I don't like players flicking between too many positions, but it doesn't seem to bother him at all, really very impressive.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I don't think it's a fair comment to say he's been reduced to a bit part player. He's been on the 15 or 23 in pretty much all of the 'big' games, and delivered. I take your point about moving him around, but that's the benefit (or curse) of versatility. There's also a necessary selection balancing act through the season. How else can LeoCaster use 50+ players over a campaign.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

I think it's a pity we don't see O'Loughlin much on the wing anymore, but it's probably necessary, we've got a lot of wingers and we're much shorter at centre.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Ciarán Frawley (10)
14. Fergus McFadden (175)
13. Noel Reid (117)
12. Joe Tomane (9)
11. Barry Daly (33)
10. Ross Byrne (65)
9. Luke McGrath (106)
1. Ed Byrne (38)
2. Seán Cronin (166)
3. Michael Bent (118)
4. Josh Murphy (18)
5. Mick Kearney (48)
6. Rhys Ruddock (156) CAPTAIN
7. Dan Leavy (61)
8. Max Deegan (38)

16. Bryan Byrne (37)
17. Jack McGrath (141)
18. Andrew Porter (48)
19. Jack Dunne (2)
20. Oisín Dowling (2)
21. Nick McCarthy (32)
22. Jimmy O’Brien (5)
23. Conor O’Brien (15)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That is an... interesting... selection
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

weird team.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Not sure I'd have guessed that line-up.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

That's pretty much full strength (barring injuries) for them, isn't it?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

cormac wrote:That's pretty much full strength (barring injuries) for them, isn't it?
Dell would be a starter (he's on the bench), Gilchrist and McInally but thats about it
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus that is a bizarre side!

Reading between the lines, I'd say we've limited the game time of guys who'll be starting next week besides those who really need it (Cronin, Luke, Leavy, Rhys etc).
It looks like a backline outside 9/10 that won't be involved next week, with ROL looking fairly bolted on to start at 12.

Looks like that trio of front rowers on the bench might be our bench next week too.

I'm assuming Molony is rested as we'll need him to bench next week?
raith rover
Beginner

Post by raith rover »

Dave Cahill wrote:
cormac wrote:That's pretty much full strength (barring injuries) for them, isn't it?
Dell would be a starter (he's on the bench), Gilchrist and McInally but thats about it
Schoeman is streets ahead of Dell as a loose head prop. Rapidly becoming a cult figure for Edinburgh fans.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not playing Lowe is a strange one.

I wonder is it to give Daly the chance to audition for the left wing slot?