Post by backrower8 »

Laighin Break wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
So Gatts sees it as I do:

- McBryde will be good for Leinster
- there is a risk of insider knowledge share
- Wales and Ireland have been primary rivals these last 15 years

Wise man! Played against him once. He’s still talking about it. :roll:
Doesn't he see it the opposite as you do? Risk is to Wales whereas you thing risk is to Ireland?
Ah you are falling for Warren’s mind games. No shame in that. Our Joe was badly hoodwinked by Gatts only last month.

That’s his perspective of course. The principle however is common to both. :wink:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Scrum Coach

Post by neiliog93 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
backrower8 wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: Maybe we just can’t get it because we’re not real rugby blokes?
Still getting over that are we? That really got to you…and you with your old school socks and all. Stay strong.
dunno about strong, I deadlifted 180kgs today - not bad for a man in his mid 40s
Raw strength is the last thing to go - look at all the top level strongmen/powerlifters/bodybuilders in their 40s, not something you see in many sports!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCMJc5 ... e=youtu.be

good interview here, first 30 minutes spent on leinster experience so far.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Quotes from McBryde
“One of the big things I see at Leinster is we have Leo Cullen at the top of the tree,” said McBryde.

“He’s more than a figurehead. He’s still hands-on coaching, but one thing he is very mindful of, and what he does very well, is drive the legacy of Leinster.

“When you’ve got an ex-player and someone of his experience as the head of the province, the supporters can identify with Leo and Leinster.

“It reminds me a lot of the time when Gareth Jenkins coached Llanelli. Gareth would always remind us of who we were representing.

“After a cup final the first place the bus would stop would be the supporters’ bar. If you’re able to have somebody of that ilk it certainly adds something to it. If you’ve got somebody who is linked to the region it all helps with building the legacy and tradition.

“It’s important to know where you come from and when it comes down to it on the rugby field, those small little things become absolutely massive.

“To get Welsh coaches into head coach jobs and to have someone people can identify with would be great. I don’t say that with any disrespect to other coaches. Everybody has something to offer. Welsh rugby needs four successful regions.”

There is no Welsh head coach currently in charge of the country’s four regions and none of them reached the PRO14 or Champions Cup knock-out stages.

“Leinster have a very strong school system,” McBryde said. “I’m not saying the situation is unique, but there are certain things in place already with the quality of rugby which is played at those schools. The players are further down the line when they come out of school.”

McBryde has had no contact from former boss Gatland about coaching with the British & Irish Lions for the first time in South Africa this summer.

So, what about returning to Wales one day to head up a region?

McBryde said: “It’s not a burning ambition. I think I’ll always like to be hands- on. If the opportunity comes my way then great, but I think you have to be lucky and be in the right place at the right time – there aren’t many coaching jobs around, especially in the current climate.

“I’m just enjoying my time here and not looking too far ahead. I’ve been in the right place at the right time up to now, so hopefully that will continue.

“In some ways it has been nice to come out of that Welsh bubble, but looking back it was a massive honour for me to coach Wales. The best job in Welsh rugby is to be coaching the national team.

“I can look back and be proud of what we achieved and it never got to that stage that I was talking to Welsh regions. I had an early contact from Leo, followed up by a phone call, and then a visit.

“I was very honoured to have been asked to coach Leinster. It was an easy decision and I didn’t have to think long about it.”
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

...hmmm
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

He has a lot to answer for as we seriously had no answer to them. It wasn't like we haven't played the same front row that long ago. Was same story in second half. We had no clue how to handle them. The aggression from the pack was unacceptable from the first minute. They were being laughed at by the opposition in their own back yard. The most embarrassing 40 mins I think I've ever witnessed from leinster. We showed second half what we could do with aggression and tempo. But the scrum was awful and we badly need a world class prop or 2. Hope to God leavy comes back firing. Rhys, dan and doris could take it to the biggest packs in europe. Not sure why they are refusing to pick Rhys?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

kinda makes a man miss Mike Ross - the thinking man's tighthead.

our starting front row are serious strength athletes with an awful lot of explosive power, but today showed they couldn't think their way through like Mike Ross did v Northampton in 2011
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

No point in having props who are great at the breakdown and grab a try now and then but struggle when faced with top quality opposition. Just do your job and win the scrum. That's the primary role. Just as a hookers is to throw well at lineout. Maybe get a saffa or a Georgian prop who is can scrummage and has a bit of dog in them. We are just too nice. Need to be more nasty as a pack. Baird was excellent and had a real edge to him which made ryan become more aggressive too.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Maybe the problem is in their conditioning.

Look at Healy and Porter's shape. They're muscular but lean. The hookers are too. Compare them to Saracens trio who all looked like they were bulked up as much as possible.
It was looking like bodybuilders Vs strongmen. The extra timber Saracens were carrying also helped in the mauls.

No doubt Porter and Healy can play a faster paced game than the Saracens props but it didn't count for much on Saturday as it was a slow, stop start game.

Do you think Irish players in general have gotten too lean? It's unfortunate but as long as there's 8 subs allowed then you can have players conditioning to play 60min and therefore able to bulk up more.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm Maybe the problem is in their conditioning.

Look at Healy and Porter's shape. They're muscular but lean. The hookers are too. Compare them to Saracens trio who all looked like they were bulked up as much as possible.
It was looking like bodybuilders Vs strongmen. The extra timber Saracens were carrying also helped in the mauls.

No doubt Porter and Healy can play a faster paced game than the Saracens props but it didn't count for much on Saturday as it was a slow, stop start game.

Do you think Irish players in general have gotten too lean? It's unfortunate but as long as there's 8 subs allowed then you can have players conditioning to play 60min and therefore able to bulk up more.
In fairness to those Saracens guys, Jamie George and Vincent Koch both went 80 mins and Mako did 68 mins. Exceptional.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

hugonaut wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 9:18 pm
dropkick wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 9:10 pm Maybe the problem is in their conditioning.

In fairness to those Saracens guys, Jamie George and Vincent Koch both went 80 mins and Mako did 68 mins. Exceptional.

They did but if there was a fitness contest between their front row and Leinster's, I know who I would be backing. I think the stop start nature of the game helped too.

They are exceptional players imo but I just think Leinster could bridge the gap a bit if they allowed their props to bulk up.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Yes, but due to the stop/start nature of the game the ball was only in play for 30 minutes - according to Stuart Barnes on OTB Monday Night Rugby. We wanted an uptempo game. Had we gotten it, Koch and Mako mightn'd have lasted as long as they did. Saracens an arm-wrestle and they succeeded in dragging us into one.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

riocard911 wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:50 pm

Yes, but due to the stop/start nature of the game the ball was only in play for 30 minutes - according to Stuart Barnes on OTB Monday Night Rugby. We wanted an uptempo game. Had we gotten it, Koch and Mako mightn'd have lasted as long as they did. Saracens an arm-wrestle and they succeeded in dragging us into one.
Scrummaging with all 8 lads pushing would have helped instead of looking up to see what Billy v was doing. We lacked leaders in our pack on Saturday.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

This would appear to be a very interesting article on how we are diverging from the IRFU on scrummaging. Fanning is often on the money.
I don’t have a login though.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/column ... 56347.html